Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Question/reinsate

I know reinstatement is tricky and a gamble, but at this point I'm struggling so hard to breath because my diaphragm is so tense and stomack muscles are spasming like it said in my first post I'm pretty much still bedbound because of it. I just want to breath. I reinstated but have only took .5mg total valuim 

It didn't relax it don't know if it's just gonna take more. But now I'm scared it won't work and wonder if I didn't take anymore will I suffer a setback.. 

Hey @[Gr...],

I am by no means an expert on reinstatement or tapering, but from what I've read from others on here, if you only took one .5mg dose, I don't think that will cause much of a setback.  If it didn't help at all, though, I don't think, if it were me, that I would take anymore.  

Have you tried any other methods to relax your diaphragm and stomach?  I found that lying down nearly flat with a heating pad on my middle helps with the difficulty breathing.  Conversely, if that didn't help me, holding cold water in my mouth and breathing through my nose helped my breathing.  Weird, I know, but whatever helps, right?

• Like 1

I see in your history you've been off for about a year. Reinstatement generally has the best chance of success if done 2-4 weeks after stopping. I'm not saying it doesn't work after this length of time but usually people see better results if they reinstate immediately. 

I also don't think you'll notice a difference immediately after a day or two (not sure how many days you've taken a dose). I'm not sure if you took 0.5mg Valium as you stated or if you took 5mg Valium. Either way the dose might have been too small.

If it were me I would not continue to reinstate. I know it must be very difficult but you've come so far. You don't know whether in a month or three you might turn a corner with the breathing. If you have to taper again, you might have to face the same breathing issue plus deal with lots of other symptoms too. Is there nothing else the doctor can give you for the muscles? Any OTC meds? I'm sorry this is so hard, but whatever you decide to do, we are here for you, there's no judgement. 

59 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hey @[Gr...],

I am by no means an expert on reinstatement or tapering, but from what I've read from others on here, if you only took one .5mg dose, I don't think that will cause much of a setback.  If it didn't help at all, though, I don't think, if it were me, that I would take anymore.  

Have you tried any other methods to relax your diaphragm and stomach?  I found that lying down nearly flat with a heating pad on my middle helps with the difficulty breathing.  Conversely, if that didn't help me, holding cold water in my mouth and breathing through my nose helped my breathing.  Weird, I know, but whatever helps, right?

Thank you I will try the water in mouth. I've tried heating pad nope. 

I usually lay on my side with ice pack. I'm like helpless. My Husband is getting very frustrated and I understand. I won't take anymore and keep hanging on.

27 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I see in your history you've been off for about a year. Reinstatement generally has the best chance of success if done 2-4 weeks after stopping. I'm not saying it doesn't work after this length of time but usually people see better results if they reinstate immediately. 

I also don't think you'll notice a difference immediately after a day or two (not sure how many days you've taken a dose). I'm not sure if you took 0.5mg Valium as you stated or if you took 5mg Valium. Either way the dose might have been too small.

If it were me I would not continue to reinstate. I know it must be very difficult but you've come so far. You don't know whether in a month or three you might turn a corner with the breathing. If you have to taper again, you might have to face the same breathing issue plus deal with lots of other symptoms too. Is there nothing else the doctor can give you for the muscles? Any OTC meds? I'm sorry this is so hard, but whatever you decide to do, we are here for you, there's no judgement. 

I only took .5mg total

And it didn't seem to do anything but make me feel nauseous 🙃 groggy. I'm to afraid to go to the doctor like terrified. My Husband called our doctor and he said of course it couldn't be withdrawl.

I take ibuprofen and use a inhaler.

I'm gonna keep riding this out as bad as it is. Hopefully your right and this goes away soon. Its been like this since the beginning. Thank you for your suggestions and kind words. Wishing you full healing.🙂

2 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

I only took .5mg total

Then my take is this dose is way too small to feel any effect especially since it sounds like you divided it. Prof Ashton said that between 0.5-1mg Valium you barely have any therapeutic value in the dose. 

I hope you see improvement soon. :hug:

1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

I'm like helpless. My Husband is getting very frustrated and I understand. I won't take anymore and keep hanging on.

This is a very hard, frustrating process for all of us.  It is very hard on our loved ones, too. Having to watch us go through this, wanting to help us, but there really not being much they can do, except be there.  Your are definitely not alone, and please tell your husband he isn't either.

Blessings

• Like 1

@[Gr...] try meloxicam isntead of ibuprofen, it's an NSAID but diffrent, Its good for your brain, liver protective, and plays a role in dampening down auto-immunity issues, at the intracelular DNA level

You should take something like alfa lipoic of carnosic acid while taking NSAIDs, meloxicam is still harsh in the GI tract and kidneys like the others, but less, dont reinstate Imo, you better find something else that Works, maybe roflumilast since It Works for COPD and breathing issues, im waiting Mine to arrive from india, expensive drug

Edited by [De...]
  • Like 1

@[Si...]Meloxicam have anxiolitic properties, trough gaba and glutamate neuroinflammation, microglial hyperactivation,  etc, not via directly interaction with the receptor, but trough gene expression and mRNA , you find this info If you search online

I dont like too much niacin, i take It for other reason that not anxiety, low doses like 10mg in lipoic acid capsules, i dont like high doses .

Edited by [De...]

Hello @[Gr...],

My heart went out to you after reading your situation, and only wish there was something I knew of to help you. So guess the best thing I can offer is that I am so glad you found BB because I feel it's saving my life, or at least helping me gain more quality of life.  No one can understand us like someone else that has been stuck on a benzo, and there are so many here for us, oregonlady, sending hope, strength, and encouragement ♥️

• Like 1

21 hours ago, [[G...] said:

I only took .5mg total

And it didn't seem to do anything but make me feel nauseous 🙃 groggy. I'm to afraid to go to the doctor like terrified. My Husband called our doctor and he said of course it couldn't be withdrawl.

I take ibuprofen and use a inhaler.

I'm gonna keep riding this out as bad as it is. Hopefully your right and this goes away soon. Its been like this since the beginning. Thank you for your suggestions and kind words. Wishing you full healing.🙂

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Sounds similar to what I went through but I was on 5mg and cold turkey’d. I reinstated the 5 mg and it didn’t help me at all. My psychiatrist (who also denied it was withdrawal) decided to updose me to 15 mg so I did that like two weeks ago and it helped a lot but now I’m getting the symptoms again. I would say it isn’t worth it for the small amount of time you’ll feel “relief” well in my experience anyway. Now I have even more to taper from and I think I’m in tolerance. :( Wish you the best. 

• Like 1

Please google Emma Saunders and she will speak with you for free. She reinstated successfully and is very informed. Also Geraldine Burns.

When reinstating-which many, many do and gooey on the 2-4 weeks vs 1 year, you need to gradually do so at a low dose and then updose so your compromised system can get accustomed to it. Similar to onboarding Lamictal. It can usually take 4-6 weeks to stabilize.

I am not a doctor. I share this information only after 17 months of extensive research, phone calls etc. There are members here who have done this successfully and I hope they will chime in.

The bottom line is you have to do what is best for you, irregardless of others opinions. For many, Benzos are the only thing that works for their specific needs and hundreds of thousands stay in them for life.

Do your research. Do the work and you will find what works for you.

What you have taken is more of a rescue dose then a reinstatement, IMO. If you decide to reinstate it has to be a commitment to do so and see it through with knowledge and support.

• Like 1

Bad advise Imo,

"I am not a doctor. I share this information only after 17 months of extensive research, phone calls etc. There are members here who have done this successfully and I hope they will chime in. "

For me its like an advice from doctors, psychiatrists, the ones that still claim that withdrawal doesnt even exist, probably the ones who you seeked for help.

several failed to reach the end and reinstated the benzodiazepines, and that was exactly what got em much more disabled and dealing with chronic pain nerve damages and etc, myself included.

Imo go until the end, and never reinstate, you have stuff out there to help with the brain injury that not benzodiazepines that caused you the Brian injury in the first place

Here are the effects of meloxicam at the gene expression of the gaba and glutamate receptors 

https://www.ibroneuroscience.org/article/S0306-4522(18)30435-4/fulltext

The bottom line is you have to do what is best for you, irregardless of others opinions.

Edited by [De...]
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, [[D...] said:

@[Si...]Meloxicam have anxiolitic properties, trough gaba and glutamate neuroinflammation, microglial hyperactivation,  etc, not via directly interaction with the receptor, but trough gene expression and mRNA , you find this info If you search online

I dont like too much niacin, i take It for other reason that not anxiety, low doses like 10mg in lipoic acid capsules, i dont like high doses .

THANK YOU!

You have done some good research looks like.

I'm so scared to try anything. 😫 But forsure will hang on to this info if this doesn't let up soon. Blessing and thanks again for caring and responding.🙏

• Like 1

13 hours ago, [[a...] said:

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. Sounds similar to what I went through but I was on 5mg and cold turkey’d. I reinstated the 5 mg and it didn’t help me at all. My psychiatrist (who also denied it was withdrawal) decided to updose me to 15 mg so I did that like two weeks ago and it helped a lot but now I’m getting the symptoms again. I would say it isn’t worth it for the small amount of time you’ll feel “relief” well in my experience anyway. Now I have even more to taper from and I think I’m in tolerance. :( Wish you the best. 

Iam so sorry ..that is why I didn't take anymore. I was afraid that would happen to me. I am Praying for all of us in the torturous mess of pain and suffering. I know God is with us all. 🙏

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Please google Emma Saunders and she will speak with you for free. She reinstated successfully and is very informed. Also Geraldine Burns.

When reinstating-which many, many do and gooey on the 2-4 weeks vs 1 year, you need to gradually do so at a low dose and then updose so your compromised system can get accustomed to it. Similar to onboarding Lamictal. It can usually take 4-6 weeks to stabilize.

I am not a doctor. I share this information only after 17 months of extensive research, phone calls etc. There are members here who have done this successfully and I hope they will chime in.

The bottom line is you have to do what is best for you, irregardless of others opinions. For many, Benzos are the only thing that works for their specific needs and hundreds of thousands stay in them for life.

What you have taken is more of a rescue dose then a reinstatement, IMO. If you decide to reinstate it has to be a commitment to do so and see it through with knowledge and support.

I watch both Emma and Geraldine. I will message them. Thank you.

12 hours ago, [[M...] said:

It just came to me to tell you exactly what I did. I took a 5mg dose and cut it into 4 took 1 mg of valuim and increased it 1 mg each day like I had read. Did that for 4 days totaling 5mg total. Is that considered a rescue? When I reached 5 mg it made me feel nauseous. Haven't taken anymore.

Please try to reach out to Geraldine Burns at/or with The Benzo Information Coalition. She’ll be able to help you and was a friend/colleague of Heather Ashton.

I personally don’t believe it was a reinstatement as you didn’t continue.

This is all very painful and confusing. Research, learn as much as you can from everything available to you. Google, YouTube, Baylissa Frederick, Jennifer Leigh and just keep going whatever the path you choose.

Reinstatement has been a complete and utter disaster in my experience.  It has delayed my progress and made everything way, way worse.  

Started taking Klonopin in 2001

April 2019 - first got off benzos after a 3 month taper.  Mental hell

March 2020 - reinstated Klonopin, definitely felt better but things were not near the same as before.  began a slow taper in Aug20 and finished in May21 - despite a much longer taper, the withdrawal symptoms were 5x worse

May 2021 - off benzos again, this period off of benzos significantly worse than 2019-20

March 2022 - put back on Klonopin - had a couple better months and full on hit tolerance and by August the Klonopin did nothing and even became paradoxical.  Tapered off over three months

Oct 2022 - off benzos, mental and physical hell

I cannot tell you how much worse off I am than when I originally got off in 2019.  I am a total physical wreck.  Can’t walk around the block with creating a storm of pain.  My physical symptoms were very minor after the first time I got off.  

Reinstatement was a giant mistake.   Each successive attempt to get off was 5x harder than the time before, even with a slower and more deliberate taper.