Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Antidepressant while going through benzo withdrawal?

I just want to know if it’s ok to be on a sedative while going through benzo withdrawal? When I got off of k I was put on a strong sedative called Amitriptyline by my doctor because she said the symptoms I was describing sounded like Fibromyalgia symptoms and it can help me sleep. So I started taking 25mg as needed then for some reason I started taking it every day like an idiot I am pretty sure I have all ready developed a dependency on it. I’ve been taking it for 4 months now. And I know 25mg sounds like a small dose. I have read about this drug on other websites and the list of symptoms are just as long as klonopin systems. And you can also build a tolerance to this drug. 

I even searched this drug on Surviving Antidepressants. But, I found haven’t found a person who got off of Benzos and started taking a strong sedative like Amitriptyline. 

I am just slightly panicked about the rough time I’ve been having for the past couple of days. I hope this drug isn’t making things worse.

Edited by [Jo...]

5 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I just want to know if it’s ok to be on a sedative while going through benzo withdrawal? When I got off of k I was put on a strong sedative called Amitriptyline by my doctor because she said the symptoms I was describing sounded like Fibromyalgia symptoms and it can help me sleep. So I started taking 25mg as needed then for some reason I started taking it every day like an idiot I am pretty sure I have all ready developed a dependency on it. I’ve been taking it for 4 months now. And I know 25mg sounds like a small dose. I have read about this drug on other websites and the list of symptoms are just as long as klonopin systems. And you can also build a tolerance to this drug. 

I even searched this drug on Surviving Antidepressants. But, I found haven’t found a person who got off of Benzos and started taking a strong sedative like Amitriptyline. 

I am just slightly panicked about the rough time I’ve been having for the past couple of days. I hope this drug isn’t making things worse.

@[Jo...], hi)

I haven't used amitriptyline myself but there are a few people on my local forum who take/ took it while benzo withdrawing. As far as i know it really helps/ helped some of them and it wasn't too much of a problem to get off it, especially after only 4 months. Amitriptyline is an old antidepressant and it requires tapering at the end of usage.

I'm pretty sure you didn't make things worse by taking it and everything will be ok!)

Edited by [...]

@[Jo...],

I took amitriptyline about 25 years ago for a little while.  I don't remember it doing much to help me, but it also didn't hurt.  I did have to taper off, but unlike benzos, the taper really did mean that I had no withdrawal effects.  It is also my understanding that it does not cause the long term issues and receptor damage that benzos do.

Edited by [Bu...]
  • Like 1

1/2 of a 15mg Mirtazapine at night is a good sedative that helps the following day too

Helps you sleep....but don't make it a habit too long

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, @[Bu...] and @[...]
I get real anxious about the med that I am still on while I am going through a wave. I know I shouldn’t be looking online at articles like this and I know that y’all said that there are people that recovered while on Amitriptyline. But, when I got off k in October I started researching what was happening and came across articles when I was 3 months in taking Amitriptyline. Like this one https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/009130579190227S#:~:text=Amitriptyline inhibits the GABA-mediated,chloride ions in its presence.

It is really confusing because that isn’t the main receptor it inhibits. The main receptor inhibits is serotonin and norepinephrine.

I used amitryptylline at one point and had a positive effect from it. It did help with sleep. I don't take it anymore because my body reacts to it (but my body now reacts to melatonin along with everything else), but I don't feel there is anything inherently wrong with it. Dr. Ashton referenced it in the Ashton Manual and felt it was an option.

• Like 2

Hey @[Jo...],

How are you doing?  Are you taking the amitriptyline? 

I looked at the link you sent.  I am not a scientist, but from what I can tell this was a study done on rats in 1991.  What is it exactly that you found to be concerning about this article? 

3 minutes ago, [[w...] said:

@[Nu...]I just started reacting to melatonin also and even Advil, Tylenol, almost everything. So strange this all is! 

Yes, me too. Caffeine, exercise, too much sugar, alcohol, melatonin, and more. Weird and a sad place for us to be.

Hi @[Bu...], yes, I am currently taking it. I guess I didn’t really take a good look at what I was reading in that article. The wave I am currently going through is giving me the blues. It has been harder to breath and swallow for last couple of days. I tried my best to ignore it. And any time I get anxious I start to think about me still taking Amitriptyline. 

Hi @[Nu...], I read the Ashton Manual a couple of times when I first found this website. I didn’t realize that Amitriptyline was referenced in the manual. 

I have been taking it for sleep. But, I am not sure if it is even working anymore. And it is very hard to tell if it is making things worse or not. If you don’t mind me asking what type of reaction did you have while taking it?

@[Jo...],

I'm sorry things are rough.  I've had air hunger (I use that term to sum up all breathing issues) and swallowing issues too.  I know it's not fun.  Have you spoken with your doctor about those problems and about your concerns regarding the amitriptyline?  I just meant with my original comment that amitriptyline does not adhere to gaba receptors that way that benzos do.  Since it is an anti-depressant, it will of course, effect brain chemistry and have the possibility of side effects.  How long have you been taking it?  Have you notice any positive effects?  Improved mood or less anxiety?

16 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hi @[Bu...], yes, I am currently taking it. I guess I didn’t really take a good look at what I was reading in that article. The wave I am currently going through is giving me the blues. It has been harder to breath and swallow for last couple of days. I tried my best to ignore it. And any time I get anxious I start to think about me still taking Amitriptyline. 

Hi @[Nu...], I read the Ashton Manual a couple of times when I first found this website. I didn’t realize that Amitriptyline was referenced in the manual. 

I have been taking it for sleep. But, I am not sure if it is even working anymore. And it is very hard to tell if it is making things worse or not. If you don’t mind me asking what type of reaction did you have while taking it?

The reaction that I talk about is the same reaction that I have to many other substances -- caffeine, sugar, exercise. It's hard to describe. Maybe others can chime in here. It's as though my nervous system reacts violently to the substance. I'm being electrified, internally. And it's not all or none-- it comes on a scale. It's proportional to the substance that I ingested. Ie., I feel it stronger if I take 10mg of melatonin than if I take 5mg of melatonin.

Wish that I had a better description but this is the best I can think of it.

@[Bu...],

I have been taking it 4 months. I am scared to get off of it because I don’t want to experience both Antidepressant and Benzo withdrawal. It is very possible that I might need to stay on it longer because of that. I remember hearing someone saying it is better Idea to recover from Benzo withdrawal first then taper the next drug. I don’t know how true that is?

When you say it will affect my brain chemistry. You do mean mood swing right? I have notice that I do get a little more agitated when I take it.

@[Jo...],

I have heard that advice as well regarding tapering one med at a time.  I think it is generally a wise choice to do one at a time so that it isn't more complicated than it needs to be.  I know there are situations that are the exception, but this is something that I would definitely speak to a doctor about.  

Any drug that changes the chemicals in your brain, good or bad, affects your brain chemistry.  This is what all psych meds, including antidepressants, are designed to do.  So, yes, it could cause mood swings.  Again, this is something that I would speak with a doctor about.  

@[Jo...],

You know, I was thinking that we have strayed from your original question.  I think that everyone is so unique, so you really just have to listen to your body.  Some people do very well taking an antidepressant while coming off of a benzo and some people have a harder time.  The Ashton manual  mentions the use of antidepressants as being helpful for some people for treating depression and insomnia during withdrawal. 

If I were in your situation I would start keeping a journal of how I feel and when I started taking what meds.  This way it would be much easier to discuss what's going on with a doctor and make the best decision possible. And don't feel rushed to make any decisions.  Just take your time and think it through. There is no time limit here.