Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hydroxyzine

i have been taking hydroxyzine for three weeks now to help with sleep. I heard it can weakly affect GABA-A receptors. I have been off temazepam for a month now should I stop hydroxyzine. Could it hinder my healing etc? It helps me sleep but im thinking of cutting it tonight and see if I sleep without it.

18 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

Bit paranoid.

I use mirtazapine to aid my sleep. 

I think we’re all a bit paranoid and rightly so, this is for some of us, the worst experience of our lives and the fear it heaps on us is difficult to reason our way through.  It’s perfectly normal to question everything at this point because so little is known about what can affect us and the worst part is, what works for one, can harm another.

@[Jo...], if that inner voice is telling you to stop, then you might want to listen to it.  I don’t believe it will interfere with your recovery but worrying about it can make you miserable.  Stress, doubt, indecision, they’re all negative emotions and you know how our emotions can effect us. 

My only concern is you’re newly off the Temazepam and I’m not sure this is the right time to make more changes.  How are you feeling, are you dealing with acute symptoms, do you feel you can withdraw the Hydroxyzine without too much difficulty? 

• Like 1

Just now, [[P...] said:

I think we’re all a bit paranoid and rightly so, this is for some of us, the worst experience of our lives and the fear it heaps on us is difficult to reason our way through.  It’s perfectly normal to question everything at this point because so little is known about what can affect us and the worst part is, what works for one, can harm another.

@[Jo...], if that inner voice is telling you to stop, then you might want to listen to it.  I don’t believe it will interfere with your recovery but worrying about it can make you miserable.  Stress, doubt, indecision, they’re all negative emotions and you know how our emotions can effect us. 

My only concern is you’re newly off the Temazepam and I’m not sure this is the right time to make more changes.  How are you feeling, are you dealing with acute symptoms, do you feel you can withdraw the Hydroxyzine without too much difficulty? 

The only symptoms i have right now is insomnia that is all. I don't have any muscle twitches or high anxiety. I just got a little scared when I read that hydroxyzine affects Gaba receptors very low so I got a little scared. I have slept for five days now with an average of 5 hours of sleep but i dont want to become dependant on hydroxyzine. i also take dayvigo but i hear it doesnt produce withdrawls or physical dependancy like other sleep aids do. So im curious what would happen if I stop taking hyrdoxyzine cold turkey after three weeks of use. My doseage was about 75 mg and last night i used 50 and i have used 50 mgs in the past as well but i dont like the way i feel the next day. I just dont know what the correct taper schedule should be because my Dr said i could C/T hydroxyzine since i have only been taking it for three weeks. I dont think my withdrawls would be anything to bad since it hasnt been long term but i know i need sleep........ I hope my natrual supplements and dayvigo can carry me over the hump. The main reason why i was taking hydroxyzine is due to brain zaps that were keeping me from falling asleep and they are alot milder now but that could be because i have been getting sleep so as always im taking a leap into the unknown and hoping im making the right decision to get off a med. I just want to be better sooner rather than later and not do any long term harm. I feel the sooner im off the meds the better. If i didnt have this mentality i would still be on gabapentin and temazepam.

It sounds like you’re doing very well for only 3 weeks off the Temazepam, I’m encouraged. 

I don’t have experience with Hydroxyzine but it sounds like you’re leaning towards a rapid taper, which sounds better than stopping cold turkey.  I have no idea if it needs to be tapered but heck, why not taper just to be on the safe side?

Do you hope to discontinue the Dayvigo someday?  I read it can cause dependence. 

Yes i do plan on getting off dayvigo but i hear the dependance is mostly psychological and not physical. I have been off temazepam for a little over a month now but i owe alot of my success to my naturpathic Dr. I was taking 100 mgs of hydroxyzine so i kinda have been tapering already

• Like 1

Jonny5, I hear you, I'm in that same boat.  I do hear that small voice telling to get off of them, pamster is right, indecision and constant questioning is a negative emotion, and does cause doubt. I've been feeling this for over 2 weeks but I just haven't allowed myself to take that jump, so tomorrow I am going to cut one dose out, it's very small, we'll see how it goes, it's not written in stone. I really need to get it done due to the adverse reaction I'm having so I'll be Checking in with a post about how I'm doing. I hope you do well, maybe a short taper uh? But I'm sure you know what's best for you and your body.

Be well

Johnny, I’m also pleased to see how well you doing.

its very good.

Taper the hydroxizine.

why risk upsetting your nervous system with a CT when you’re doing so well ?

• Like 1

Where did you hear it affects gaba receptors? From my understanding it is an antihistamine with 0 effect on gaba

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [[J...] said:

i have been taking hydroxyzine for three weeks now to help with sleep. I heard it can weakly affect GABA-A receptors. I have been off temazepam for a month now should I stop hydroxyzine. Could it hinder my healing etc? It helps me sleep but im thinking of cutting it tonight and see if I sleep without it.

@[Jo...], hi)

As far as i know, hydroxyzine doesn't interact with gaba receptors. I took 50-65 mg of hydroxyzine for about 3-4 months, at the end of the taper and at the beginning of the benzo free state. Then one night i just didn't take it and that was all. Nothing happend except the benzo withdrawal) But sure you can taper it if it makes you feel safe. Any doubts work against us now.

Good luck)

• Like 1