Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

looking for support

Hi

I am starting a taper from 1mg Xanax used for 1.5 years.  I am working with my DR.  Just looking for advise and support

Thanks

Hello @[he...] and welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We'll be glad to offer guidance and help support you through your taper off Xanax.  What is your taper plan like?

We're glad you found us! Please reach out and let us know how we can help you-

Brighterday

• Like 1

Hi @[he...]  - In our experience 25% cuts are way too big.  Based on current best practices for tapering we typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every two weeks.  We urge members to slow down and/or make even smaller cuts if symptoms become difficult to manage.  Ideally we listen to our bodies and make adjustments to the taper as we go along with the goal of remaining as functional as possible during and after the taper.  

To learn more, please take a look at The Ashton Manual - this is work based on ground breaking research in benzo tapering withdrawal.  

To help open up a conversation with your doctor about tapering a bit more cautiously you might consider is bringing this document with you to show your doctor: https://corxconsortium.org/wp-content/uploads/Benzo-Deprescribing.pdf

The deprescribing guidelines that were shared are a great resource. 25% is too big. Please follow up with us here on the board if your prescriber isn't amenable to lower your rate of taper so we can talk about next steps.

Hello @[he...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

What dose pills do you use? Are these standard Xanax pills, or XR (eXtended Release)?

I am trying to spread the 1mg throughout the day and take a Trazadone at night to sleep.  Any thoughts on that?  So far the taper is not bad.   

I am relieved to know why I was super depressed while talking xanax!

Hi @[he...]. We seems to be cross-purposes. What dose are the individual pills you take? And how many of these pills do you take per day? I ask because this has some practical implications for any feedback I or others might provide you regarding your taper.

I was taking 1mg at night to sleep.  While I taper I am spreading it out to two .5 mg in the day.  one morning.  one afternoon. .75 Trazadone at night to sleep.   I have already tapered down from 2mg every night.   

The rebound anxiety was bad.  That is why I have spread it out in the day.  The trazadone works at night

I just want to be off these awful meds.  I spent the last year clinically depressed and had no idea why

I welcome all advise 

Total in a day is 1mg.   I break it up into 2 day doses and uses .75 trazadone at night

1 hour ago, [[h...] said:

Total in a day is 1mg.   I break it up into 2 day doses and uses .75 trazadone at night

So, the full dose of a single individual pill is 1mg - yes?

I ask because Xanax is available in doses (of a whole, single pill) of 0.25mg. A prescription for this dose pill probably would be beneficial for your taper.

I have the 2mg bars.   I just break off what I use for the day.  I am very determined to get off of them since they made me feel terrible depression.  I was taking them for sleep

42 minutes ago, [[h...] said:

I have the 2mg bars.   I just break off what I use for the day.  I am very determined to get off of them since they made me feel terrible depression.  I was taking them for sleep

In that case, I would strongly recommend obtaining a prescription for 0.25mg pills.