Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is Librium soluble in water?

Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anyone knows if Librium is soluble in water. I have read that it is soluble but it degrades rapidly in solution.

I have read some of the posts on here and some say that it is not soluble in water. Also I am a little confuse about the half life of librium.

The half life is between 5-30 hrs.? that is a huge spread... So how many times do people normally dose with Librium.  I need to cross over to Librium because my Dr. is not giving me the correct crossover amount for Valium. So I didn't even bother trying to cross to valium, and looking at Librium it actually seems better than valium as long as it is soluble in water.  If anyone is currently tapering Librium or has in the past any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Hello @[gr...].

Per the current  FDA Drug Label from Chartwell (one of the manufacturers):

Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride is:

“A white to practically white crystalline substance, it is soluble in water. It is unstable in solution and the powder must be protected from light.”

“… the half-life of the drug is between 24 and 48 hours.”

I do not know if we have any currently active members who are tapering Librium/chlordiazepoxide hydrochloride, but we have had a few members in the past who have done so.   You can find past posts by using the search engine.

Hi Libertas,

I was just reading your post from a while back about the Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride and got my answer!!

Thank you so much Libertas. You are a world of knowledge and help.. You have helped me out a few times on here and I am very grateful...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[g...] said:

Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anyone knows if Librium is soluble in water. I have read that it is soluble but it degrades rapidly in solution.

I have read some of the posts on here and some say that it is not soluble in water. Also I am a little confuse about the half life of librium.

The half life is between 5-30 hrs.? that is a huge spread... So how many times do people normally dose with Librium.  I need to cross over to Librium because my Dr. is not giving me the correct crossover amount for Valium. So I didn't even bother trying to cross to valium, and looking at Librium it actually seems better than valium as long as it is soluble in water.  If anyone is currently tapering Librium or has in the past any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !

Librium is supposed to be an excellent drug when used for tapering.

If I could turn back time I would have insisted on it rather than Valium which was a nightmare for me. 

I don’t know why it’s not used more commonly these days.

Wishing you luck and success as you taper.

Edited by [wi...]

58 minutes ago, [[g...] said:

Thank you so much Libertas. You are a world of knowledge and help.. You have helped me out a few times on here and I am very grateful...

Thank you for a much-needed and appreciated spirit lift, @[gr...].  I’m glad I have been able to help. 

• Like 2

Thank you Widesky ! I agree it should definitely be used more for tapering....

Libertas, You are very welcome! You are such a great help to all of us who are suffering through this. Much more help than most of these Drs.!

• Like 2