Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Shallow breath

It is one of my worst withdrawals symptoms, and has been horrible for the last two days now. I am trying to distract me from it but today it is difficult to do it as It is worse and lasting longer than usual.  Dust was a trigger, and im wondering if PMS worsens it, but do not know. My oxyen level is 99.8%, normal as usaul. Any idea that can alleviate it, except distractions?  Even a little bit would be appreciated. really need reassurances. Thank you.

Edited by [Ka...]

Shallow breathing, "air hunger", breathlessness - these common withdrawal symptoms are so uncomfortable.  I had this too, that feeling of a tight chest and being unable to get a good deep breath.  This eased up and faded away for me as it will for you.  I wouldn't be surprised if PMS exacerbates it.  In addition to distraction I think the most effective way of coping and alleviating this symptom is to practice slow deep breathing and relaxation techniques. Also, regularly practicing yoga and meditation, and moderately paced walks in nature.

Examples of breathing techniques.  (Try to relax your shoulders and abdominal muscles as you do these):

4-6-8 breathing  Inhale 4 counts; hold 6 counts; exhale 8 counts

Box Breathing:  Inhale very slowly for count of 4; hold count of 4; exhale count of 4; hold count of 4

• Like 1

I do the box breathing for rounds of 5 seconds each....in/hold/out/hold and start sequence again

Normally I do this last thing in the day, in bed ,when heart rate is around 60 BPM or so and I use that as a guide rather than count

Like everything else it has to be practised.....let us know how you get on

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for being there and the detail suggestions, Brighterday and Dizzypam. It finally subsided ,your quick replies gave me big reassurance. The terrible long wave deprived me of much energies, but now I am trying your methods again, it gives me positive vibes doing something good for health:) 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1