Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Joint pain

Hey Everyone,

Anyone else getting joint pain and swelling as a withdrawal symptom?  I'm trying to sort out what is being caused by what.

hello @[Bu...]          ~~i have had terrible knee pain thought m taper. it does worsen very much when my symptoms flair up.  its usually the first sign that im in for a rough week or so. at times, i cannot walk up or down my stairs because of knees not bending.  i try epsome salt baths, light yoga, magnesium oil...  but nothing really helps except wait til it passes.   i  hope you get  relief soon. health & healing to you ~~~jill         

Hey @[ji...],

Thanks for the response.  I really hadn't seen too many posts about this, so I appreciate it.  I hope you get some relief soo, too.

• Like 2

I can relate .Before i started up taking benzo in june 2022 i used to work out .I was in good shape.After this benzohell started i can not work out anymore .Even light work out with dumbbells make me extremely sore and gives me joint and tendon pain.Also my CNS is overloaded from light training making my anxiety go thru the roof like in fight or flight mode.  In beginning of November i suddenly got extreme pain in left arm elbow and it spread to the hole arm and it swelled up and got red.I had carried some firewood bags from a store to my car and think that triggered it because i carried the bags in a wrong way.It was 3 bags and weight was about 20kg pr bag.I put one bag under my left arm and then one bag in each hand.I think a tendon teared in the elbow .The arm swelled up and i was in ER 2 times plus in a hospital ER some days later no one helped me they just told me to go home and i think it was because i told them that i was trying to quit with benzo.After telling them about my benzo wd it was like they suddenly looked down at me thinking i am a person that is taking benzo for fun or a drug abuser.In the hospital ER some days later they ultrasounded the elbow and told me i had to stay in hospital because there was a mass inside the elbow they wanted to check more and they should  decide what to do.Then next after 30 min the doc in the hospital just came and told me to go home.I think it was because i told her that i dont want to take predisonoln that she told  me to take.I told her that i was in a wd from benzo and i was afraid taking predisonol ,because that is a very bad medication that can make you psycotic and is known to create anxiety and intrusive thoughts .She did not like that so sent me home After that i was at home in extreme pain for about 5 weeks with fever crying screaming in pain sometimes.That has made me very angry on doctors.I will try to never see any doctor again .After all it was my personal doc that told me to start up taking benzo because i had gone thru some very bad traumas in the months before.She said that after what i have experienced  and in the condition i was in i just had to try taking them.I told her that i dont want to take benzo because i had tried them 25 years ago to stop anxiety and that they worked to take the anxiety away the day i took them ,but in the days after i got much more anxiety.I ended up with  starting up on benzo and it helped then.Now she wants me to stop the benzo fast and i have told her to read the Heather ashton manual ,but i dont think she will .I told her that there was a site called benzobuddies where she can read about how bad the wd from this poison is ,but she  just  laughed a little like it was funny..Anyway back to the joint pain.Yes i have started having pain in both knees and in the tendons in hamstrings also shoulder joint pain.I think all this jointpain is from benzo WD irritating the nerves since i never had pain like this in the joints before.I also think the injury i got in my elbow is because the tendons and nerves in the body not working as they should because of damage from benzodiazephine.Sorry for the long post ,but just had to get out my frustration i have experienced with arrogant doctors .At one point i wanted to sue them ,but now i just is to mentally weak and i just will bless them  forgive and forget them.

I just want to correct my above post.I wrote that the doctors looked at me as an drug addict or abuser.I just want to point out that personally i don't look down on people that are addicted to drugs or alcohol.Everything started for a reason and even if it started as a joy or if the addiction started as a way to get relief from pain or traumas in that persons life that person is still as good as everyone else and deserve respect and dignity.The doctors i have met have so far has given me the impression that i am not worth 100% treatment because i have taken benzo . 

• Like 1

@[He...],

Thanks for the reply and the perspective on joint pain.  I really appreciate it.  I am so sorry for everything you're dealing with.  I am really, really angry with doctors, too.