Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam Taper, Advice Please

Hello all,

I've been on a 3mg dose of clonazepam for 3 years now. I'm in my 60's and have had a history with benzos for 45 years, so I know how awful they are.

Anyway, I'm down to 2.25mg from 3mg in the past 3 weeks and am not feeling well at all. I dose once a day a bedtime.

My question to you all for now would it be advisable to dose twice a day instead of just once at bedtime?

Thanks in advance,

Mr. Blue

I'm no doctor but clonazepam is a long lasting medicine and while I was on it I dosed like you do now,  once a day.

Are you having interpose withdrawal?

I don't believe so, just a significant increase in anxiety and depression since I hit tolerance withdrawal and started decreasing my dose. I know this will be a long process. At this point all I can do is more forward with a cut and hold strategy until I get to a point where it may be wise to switch over to diazepam.

Is it typical for someone who doses once a day to continue with a once a day dosing schedule during their entire taper?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I'm no doctor but clonazepam is a long lasting medicine and while I was on it I dosed like you do now,  once a day.

Are you having interpose withdrawal?

No I'm off since 10 weeks.

I think most dose once a day during taper but can't see any problem splitting up the dose as long it's the same amount each day.

45 years is a long time.. how come you starting with it in the first place? For me it was because of insomnia..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

45 years is a long time.. how come you starting with it in the first place? For me it was because of insomnia..

I started abusing diazepam when I was a kid (16 years old). I was off benzos for 5 years in the 1990s. I started using xanax for 4 years in the early 2000s. I had been abstinent from 2005 until 2021. I had been plagued by severe insomnia the entire time I was abstinent. I was going through a rough time and couldn't deal with the insomnia so I started using the clonazepam. A really big mistake. I hope I can do this again. I know my brain has been forever altered from this poison.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Anyway, I'm down to 2.25mg from 3mg in the past 3 weeks and am not feeling well at all. I dose once a day a bedtime.

Going from 3mg to 2.25mg is a 25% reduction. We generally recommend no more than 5-10% reduction every 2 weeks. I believe you've cut too much and this is causing your symptoms. 

If you're not experiencing interdose withdrawal then there's no need to dose multiple times a day. I started at 2mg Clonazepam and only dosed once per day my entire taper. 

• Like 1