Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dose using Prozac interfere with healing from Benzos?

Hi there, I am new to this site. I have a 55 year old sister who was damaged by the prescription of Klonopin, which she was on for over 12 years. I'm trying to find help to navigate her though this hell.  In addition, she was put on Lunesta and Prozac. She got off the Klonopin last Feb after going cold-turkey because her doctor's controlled substance license was revoked. That has been out of her system for about a year. She continued to take Lunesta and just recently (two weeks ago) got off of that. She's also been on Prozac.

Her symptoms are severe and she is incapable of doing even the smallest things. I have to hire someone to shop and cook for her. She has to gear up for days to walk to to the mailbox. Her skin hurts so badly, she can't put shoes on and clothes touching her skin is like torture. She hasn't been out of her apartment since November. She sweats constantly and only sleeps in 15 minute intervals. Her mouth has so much pain in it that eating is a challenge, and her digestive system is a mess. We've been trying to detox with a natural doctor, but supplements upset her stomach and she feels nothing is getting better and is very discouraged. 

I've seen a lot on here that gives me hope that one day she will be herself again, but I am realizing it can take years! One question I want to ask is, has anyone found being on Prozac while going through all these withdrawal symptoms prolongs the healing process? The naturopath is hesitant about taking her off that too because she suffers from horrible OCD and does not want to shock the body any more. I just want to find out from the Benzo community if this drug could be blocking her starting to feel better? Has anyone had any good/not so good experience with being on/getting off Prozac while going through your healing?

What she wouldn't do to get two or three hours of sleep!

Hi @[Ra...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am truly sorry for everything your sister has to endure. She is very lucky to have you. Unfortunately benzo recovery can take quite some time, but generally we do see the majority of people recover from it. When it comes to taking other medication, my personal belief is that it does not hinder recovery in the long term. Many people are very sensitive during withdrawal, so I would not recommend stopping/tapering Prozac while she is clearly not stable. It might increase the severity of her symptoms.

You may also be interested in what Prof Ashton said about anti-depressants during withdrawal in The Ashton Manual. Hopefully others with first hand experience will share their knowledge. 

5 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Hi there, I am new to this site. I have a 55 year old sister who was damaged by the prescription of Klonopin, which she was on for over 12 years. I'm trying to find help to navigate her though this hell.  In addition, she was put on Lunesta and Prozac. She got off the Klonopin last Feb after going cold-turkey because her doctor's controlled substance license was revoked. That has been out of her system for about a year. She continued to take Lunesta and just recently (two weeks ago) got off of that. She's also been on Prozac.

Her symptoms are severe and she is incapable of doing even the smallest things. I have to hire someone to shop and cook for her. She has to gear up for days to walk to to the mailbox. Her skin hurts so badly, she can't put shoes on and clothes touching her skin is like torture. She hasn't been out of her apartment since November. She sweats constantly and only sleeps in 15 minute intervals. Her mouth has so much pain in it that eating is a challenge, and her digestive system is a mess. We've been trying to detox with a natural doctor, but supplements upset her stomach and she feels nothing is getting better and is very discouraged. 

I've seen a lot on here that gives me hope that one day she will be herself again, but I am realizing it can take years! One question I want to ask is, has anyone found being on Prozac while going through all these withdrawal symptoms prolongs the healing process? The naturopath is hesitant about taking her off that too because she suffers from horrible OCD and does not want to shock the body any more. I just want to find out from the Benzo community if this drug could be blocking her starting to feel better? Has anyone had any good/not so good experience with being on/getting off Prozac while going through your healing?

What she wouldn't do to get two or three hours of sleep!

@[Ra...], i've not used prozac myself but i know a few people who have. They were prescribed the medication to relieve their benzo withdrawal sxs. As far as i know they are doing ok. I agree with @[je...] your sister shouldn't taper prozac while she is rather in the acute. Our cns is so shocked at the moment that any additional changes might make things worse.

You are a great sister! Good luck to you and a speedy recovery to your sister.

Edited by [...]

@[je...] and @[...] Thank you. I honestly can't believe the medical community is so unaware of the damage its causing people by over-prescribing these drugs. It's pure evil!  I need to keep seeing success stories because right now, it painful watching a very successful woman be reduced to this.

• Like 2