Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Am I the only one with severe GI issues/stomach tightening on benzo? :(

Hello all, looking for some feedback regarding some really nasty symptoms I've developed over the year, and more recently have worsened.

I updosed my lorazepam recently from 2.5mg to 3mg due to large hold and setback. Since having withdrawals and then updosing, I've experienced a worsening in lots of symptoms, particularly these flare-ups and issues with my stomach, abdomen and GI.

I'll usually get a wave where I have all kinds of symptoms, and the worst are the GI stuff. I feel really nauseated and queasy, I have this pressure or tight sensation in my stomach or upper abdomen (above my belly button). These sensations make me feel really sick, woozy and awful. I'll usually have issues with eating (and sometimes drinking when the discomfort is so bad), and loose stools or diharrea. When I get like this, the only thing I've been able to do is to stop eating, stay on water for a day or two, then start eating toast until things feel more settled, then I'll slowly add in small bits of other foods to build it back up.

Since updosing, I've had this happen 4 times, at different times of the month. First I thought it was another layer of my period/dysmenorrhea agony, but nope, it happens at different times so I'm assuming it's the benzo stuff. 

I am also gearing up to start switching from sublingual tablets to oral ones and I'm really concerned about beginning the switch because of these awful GI problems. All of my stomach problems are extremely triggering to me and impact me so bad. Because of my terrible eating patterns, I'm scared of how this impacts me too.

I'm wondering: is this considered benzo belly? Is it still considered even though I haven't begun tapering (I'd probably hit tolerance over the years from holding, and now the updose probably worsened my health overall)? Has anyone experienced things like this, with and without the menstrual stuff too? Or have updosed and had worsening of symptoms?? Any suggestions of what to do to help it/cope (as I know I can't get it to go away with OTC stuff, and my system is too sensitive for any of that anyway). 

What you describe sounds very similar to benzo belly. I'm so sorry you're suffering with these symptoms.  Here's what The Ashton Manual says:

Digestive Problems

Some people have no problems at all with their digestive systems during or after withdrawal, and may even notice that they are enjoying their food more. Others, perhaps more prone constitutionally, may complain of a range of symptoms associated with “irritable bowel syndrome” (IBS). These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, flatulence, gaseous distension and heartburn. Quite a few have found these symptoms so uncomfortable that they have undergone hospital gastrointestinal investigations, but usually no abnormality is found. The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food – the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

I sometimes feel fat and tight in my stomach. It sticks out and makes me feel and look awful