Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Harlequin Syndrome? Tri Neuralgia? God Help me please

This symptom has been persistent for some time now and is actually driving me crazy, Dr & I don't know if its Trimeginal Neuralgia or Harlequin Syndrome which is a new illness I just learned at the walk in clinic last week.  But I do know that this skin  buring left on the left side of my  face & the leg pain is driving me Legit Crazy Now!!! I don't know how long I can battle this on my own for. I am my only support at the moment .. I mean I do have friends & neighbours that I'm social with but in regards to this recovery.. it's just Me and my New Family DR & Prayer

Every other symptom im having  im able to combat & get through on my own.. & there is quite a few of them still  but won't go in to detail as they are commonly reported by many in recovery. These 2 however Im trying to cope with are wearing down on me & I can feel my hope diminsihing daily 😞,

I do know that this symptom is common for some..  but this just seems too intense & painful..  Its burns so badly & turns red & almost purple on the left side mostly. Heat & Movement such as vacumming ramps it up, sometimes i cant even go to the store for groceries bevcause its so bad and i just cant take the heat being on in stores & vehicles or I will be in pain for hours usually if I force myself out the house.. 

Is there ANYTHING that anyone has tried to help calm these certain symptoms down????

im trying Aloe, Ive tried Essential Oils, cold water, ice packs but nothing is giving me releif. I cant feel it starting to actually intensify as i type this & im not even joking, its driving me crazy 

been telling myself its just a symptom & that it will pass, but this is taking its toll on my mind  & im just looking g for a little moral support & more importantly HOPE

my legs and feet are in so much pain Im tempted to opt for surgery at this point. Im scared to do the 2nd epidural cortisone shot I have scheduled for end of January..  I read on the Benzo Warrior site that an Epdiural Cort shot put a poor lady in a CT state during her Klon taper.. so Im hesitant to try that at the moment, also I think surgery is the best option now as Ive have tried lots of therpaies and meds, we agree now that this disc in my spine need to be operated on so its no longer giving me issues, apparently im in the last stage of Sciatica my Dr tells me. I feel broken but still have the will to get better.. I just dont want to lose that will or want becasue I know what will happen if I do😔

Thank you for reading this if you did, I would love to chat with someone about there symptoms & mine possibly

take good care,  praying for us ALL

Edited by [no...]

Hello @[no...] - I'm sorry you're suffering with these symptoms. Pain and discomfort can really drain us and sap our ability to be optimistic. I didn't have the exact symptoms you describe but I did have facial and jaw pain that lasted a couple of months before fading away.  I did a quick search of the BB site for both Harlequin Syndrome and Tri Neuralgia and came up with nothing helpful for you. However, when I did a search using the terms "burning", "face pain", "leg pain" I got multiple results.  If you haven't already I encourage you to use these terms in the Search box in upper right hand of this page.   We know that the symptoms you describe are common withdrawal symptoms but that does rule out that there could be something else going on.  Benzo withdrawal symptoms are so varied and can be so intense it makes it hard to sort out what the causes might be.  It's very hard to navigate.

The Ashton Manual talks about a variety of bodily sensations: 

Bodily Sensations

All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them.

In my clinic, nerve conduction studies in patients with such symptoms revealed nothing abnormal – for example, there was no evidence of peripheral neuritis. However, the symptoms were sometimes enough to puzzle neurologists. Three patients with a combination of numbness, muscle spasms and double vision were diagnosed as having multiple sclerosis. This diagnosis, and all the symptoms, disappeared soon after the patients stopped their benzodiazepines.

Thus these sensory symptoms, though disconcerting, are usually nothing to worry about. Very occasionally, they may persist (see section on protracted symptoms). Meanwhile, the same measures suggested under muscle symptoms (above) can do much to alleviate them, and they usually disappear after withdrawal.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

thank you @[...]righterday .. for some reason some of the BB site says unavailable for me but I will defintelty utilize the search bar on here now. thanks for the suggestion, at times my head is so fogged and I can easily overlook simple things like this.

Have a great day :)

Edited by [no...]