Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can't watch TV, listen to music, read. If I do I get PEM. Anyone else?

This is debilitating and makes me hopeless and also makes me consider updosing or going to something stronger.

I have this "frying brain" symptom when trying to engage on those activities. I can't work anymore and I really like my profession but it involves screens and programming.

Does anyone experience this? What can help?

This symptom seems so unusual.

PEM stands for post exertional malaise by the way.

• Like 1

I was the same for long. Pacing around the house and could just sit down a few minutes and then up and pace again. Tv and computer stuff, graphic designer and artist, was out of the question. I don't pace that much and can watch TV again.

I hate to see you apply a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  I know its discouraging and you feel you’ll never get better but this is a common symptom that has a solution, recovery.  Can you wait a little longer, put off making this decision? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's so easy for me to forget what I've been taught, that works for me with sxs of withdrawal.  I need to get out of the way of my recovery.  All I can do is go through it to get to the finish-line.  It's hard, sometimes I want to break down and just cry, but I am not going to give up because the alternative for me, is much uglier.

It's gotten easier for me to go through weird things my body/brain is doing, I believe that can happen for everyone, oregonlady :hug:PS stick with us, and keep reading success stories, those are truly encouraging for me ♥️

• Like 1

@[fu...] I don't really know your story and don´t know where you are in recovery. I am able to use screens again. I am not a programmer but I love my Raspberry 4b and 400s. It took me I think 5 months to be able to do this again, with small steps, I also regained my interest recently.

Of course, I don´t know your circumstances. But I can assure you, that while months ago  I was massively sick from even the thought of a monitor, I can enjoy it now. I really hope this gives you some reassurance and hope, that patience really pays off .

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@[fu...] I felt like that during my taper also. TV, music, nope. But as @[Pa...] says, what "fixes" this is recovery. It would really be better not to updose or try something "stronger". This feels awful, I know, but you will feel better. Ya just gotta hang in there! I hope knowing that others recovered from this helps you.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

@[fu...] I don't really know your story and don´t know where you are in recovery. I am able to use screens again. I am not a programmer but I love my Raspberry 4b and 400s. It took me I think 5 months to be able to do this again, with small steps, I also regained my interest recently.

I bought a Pi4b right after alcohol detox and installed Kodi to use as media center.  In Xmas I bought the RPi5 to further play with embedded computing.

@[fu...] I could have written this post. I am in the same boat right now for sure. 6 weeks out from stopping K at 0.25mg, and I’m up pacing a lot, yet exhausted at the same time. Looking at a monitor is difficult. Something is not quite right with my vision, but it is difficult to explain. Makes me feel nauseous. It is actually quite unbelievable tbh, but I am trying to continue working (also have a profession that involves screens and programming).

Do you feel like there are different times of the day that you get better? For some reason, around 5 or 6 at night, my symptoms have been alleviating slightly.

I get a relief sometimes after 23:00.

People, I am still on 200mg of pregabalin and 12.5mg of Valium. It's discouraging to taper them and the idea to live like many months more. I am considering going to clonazepam to easy things up, quit pregabalin and then do a slow taper.

23 minutes ago, [[f...] said:

People, I am still on 200mg of pregabalin and 12.5mg of Valium. It's discouraging to taper them and the idea to live like many months more. I am considering going to clonazepam to easy things up, quit pregabalin and then do a slow taper.

24 minutes ago, [[f...] said:

Hello There! This is my first day active on Benzo Buddies- I’m not a person who could give you advice, but you’re on the Benzo that everyone hopes will work for them, longest lasting and easiest to small doses of- I’ve been on klonopin for 4 years, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone- it’s longer lasting but not like Valium. My NP thought it was out of the question to switch me😐 - I will ask because I just went to eye dr , been putting it off, she said I needed prescription reading glasses- is this something that could possibly help?