Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Itching skin Valium withdrawal

Has anyone else suffered with itchy skin while tapering off Valium.  Phenergan helps ease the itch but I can’t use a anti histamine every day.

Hi SJR, unfortunately it is common in BIND. My arms and hands are itching (sometimes also my back) manly in the mornings. Everything is hypersensitive…

This is from chapter 3 in The Ashton Manual:

All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal.  It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them.

Hope this helps! It’s normal and will fade in time.

I wish you good healing 🍀

Thanks for your sharing.  I’m on a low dose of Paxil 10mg.  I’ve been on it many times in the past, but I’ve always had to stop as it also makes my skin very itchy.  I think it’s probably so much worse because of the withdrawal symptoms and bodily hypersensitivity.  I’d like to wean off the Paxil as it stopped working about 2 months ago as it has done before, but I’m still tapering and I’m down to 4.5 Valium and about to drop to 4 in 2 days.  I know it’s not good to come off another drug while tapering a benzodiazepine 

I found this topic so useful since I have a sensory burning issue - also with taper of diazepam/valium. I posted today about it to see if anyone has experienced burning mouth syndrome. 

The chapter 3 bit is hugely relevant. 

I’ve had itchy skin (patches) in the past. MooGoo Sensitive Skin Balm helped for localised irritation. So I’d recommend that if that may be helpful.