Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Surge of Energy when im falling asleep

Hello everyone random question. Does anyone ever get a surge of energy even tho they are very tired and exhausted right before you fall asleep?

@[Jo...], what do you mean? When i was tapering and over the first couple of months off, i used to have kind of sudden jerks of alarm while falling asleep. My heart started beating hard and then, all my sleepiness was gone for hours. But perhaps you mean something else.

2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hello everyone random question. Does anyone ever get a surge of energy even tho they are very tired and exhausted right before you fall 

I got it to but it went away. I guess it's the brain that's over stimulated. I still have some jerks sometimes in my hands but it gets better when i fist it.

It will pass

2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Yes that is what happens to me. Right now I am taking hydroxyzine and dayvigo to fall asleep because of this issue. I'm also trying to cut back on hydroxyzine because I don't want to become dependent on it either. Was there anything you did to help manage the jerks? I have been off temazepam for about a month now and I recently got off gabapentin last week as well after being on 600 mgs for about two months.

Hi @[Jo...], once again)

Idk about dayvigo but i used to take hydroxyzine 50-65 mg to sort out this issue too. I think i used it for about 3-6 months and then just stopped. I didn't taper. And i also took mirtazapine to treat headaches, which started on benzo. I think it helped somehow. I'm trying to taper mirt now.

By my experience, a month is too early. The jerks will stop gradually on their own. But i had a few almost sleepless nights then.

IMO the main point about withdrawal is to accept that some nasty things are bound to happen and not to worry much whan they do happen. That's what i did (and still do, though not that often)). It helps.

Good luck to you)

Edited by [...]

Absolutely,  it seems to be par for the course.  I probably get about 1-2 hrs per night because of this. It's adrenaline. In the daytime after I take my dose I'm tired, I lay down and boom, I start having a panic attack, today it's more adrenaline than anything, stinging, with all the tension that never leaves. Take it day by day, try not to focus on the symptoms,  I know it's hard, but focusing on them makes them stick around. Breath! Deep belly breathing, yawning, get out of your head, pray, meditation, whatever works to take your mind elsewhere. It will change eventually, you will sleep when your body is ready. You have the power to change the way you think right, don't focus on it ok.

Bless ya

I really appreciate this insight that I am not alone in this and its a common thing that happens with benzo withdrawals. I am hoping it will clear up in a month or so. I was also told this is because our brains are so fixated on sleep that these hypnic jerks or sleep starts is our brain getting excited that we are falling asleep. Its like we tell our brain that we need to fall asleep and it gets fixated on getting us to sleep that when the sleep start (hypnic jerk) happens we get this surge of energy because our brain is excited that it has initiated the sleep process. However, doing so causes us to have to get tired all over again and restart the whole sleep process. I am hoping they start to fade out and I am going to try to not be scared of them and just try to accept them. I am told doing so will actually make them go away sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 14:04, [[n...] said:

I got it to but it went away. I guess it's the brain that's over stimulated. I still have some jerks sometimes in my hands but it gets better when i fist it.

It will pass

How long did your zaps last for? Is something I will prolly deal with for a couple months?