Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dry mouth, thick saliva, trouble swallowing

Hey, been having some pretty rough symptoms lately. With histamine intolerance or some kind of food sensitivity thing idk. I'm finding it difficult to find foods I can eat! I get harsh symptoms after eating but I have to eat! I eat alot of histame foods for the fat, avacado, nut butters sandwiches, 4 eggs  wheat bread, you know healthy fats, I'm still losing weight! Have to be careful with foods that raise estrogen levels as well as estrogen raises histamine in histamine foods, interesting find. Its been tough just trying to keep up. I eat all day long! Now my mouth is so dry, thick saliva, hard to swallow. It's like having mucous in my throat all day long but my nose is dry, skin is dry. I have hyponatremia, I have trouble keeping hydrated so I wanted to ask if this is typical during withdrawal. I'm almost on my last 1mg per day of lorazapam. Taking those things makes me worse, instant numb mouth and allergy type symptoms. If my sodium gets to low I have to go to er, the more salt I eat the drier I get??? Cant eat sugar so all hydrating drinks are out. (Yes i know theres sugar in most everything so its tough, even milk has sugar.) Don't know what to do. Like having allergies with nothing coming out of my nose or mouth. When I take my dose I sometimes sneeze, always get thickness in my throat and symptoms are enhanced. I get it that we get the dry mouth thing, especially with anxiety but this is odd for me. I have hypersensitivity, horrible tension and im hyper focused when these happen, constant tinnitus my ears screaming, and I'm sure you've all experienced this and the rest of the fun systems. Just had to ask if this dryness is typical, is dehydration a thing in withdrawal,  geez I hate to go in, they might keep me! I've lost too much weight! I won't go to detox for 1mg, I mean really? I've heard horror stories. Anyway, I guess I'm just having a bad day but thought I'd ask if yall have had this kind of reaction with hydration and thick saliva

Have a great calm relaxing evening.

Thanks guys 

By now

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

I lost around 15kg as a result from not being able to swallow and eat properly. Nassau and vomiting when i tried. Better now ten weeks clean. I eat sugars and drink coffee with no negative effects.

Worrying about everything was for me a big part of the worse wd. Google is not always the best friend IMO. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Hey, been having some pretty rough symptoms lately. With histamine intolerance or some kind of food sensitivity thing idk. I'm finding it difficult to find foods I can eat! I get harsh symptoms after eating but I have to eat! I eat alot of histame foods for the fat, avacado, nut butters sandwiches, 4 eggs  wheat bread, you know healthy fats, I'm still losing weight! Have to be careful with foods that raise estrogen levels as well as estrogen raises histamine in histamine foods, interesting find. Its been tough just trying to keep up. I eat all day long! Now my mouth is so dry, thick saliva, hard to swallow. It's like having mucous in my throat all day long but my nose is dry, skin is dry. I have hyponatremia, I have trouble keeping hydrated so I wanted to ask if this is typical during withdrawal. I'm almost on my last 1mg per day of lorazapam. Taking those things makes me worse, instant numb mouth and allergy type symptoms. If my sodium gets to low I have to go to er, the more salt I eat the drier I get??? Cant eat sugar so all hydrating drinks are out. (Yes i know theres sugar in most everything so its tough, even milk has sugar.) Don't know what to do. Like having allergies with nothing coming out of my nose or mouth. When I take my dose I sometimes sneeze, always get thickness in my throat and symptoms are enhanced. I get it that we get the dry mouth thing, especially with anxiety but this is odd for me. I have hypersensitivity, horrible tension and im hyper focused when these happen, constant tinnitus my ears screaming, and I'm sure you've all experienced this and the rest of the fun systems. Just had to ask if this dryness is typical, is dehydration a thing in withdrawal,  geez I hate to go in, they might keep me! I've lost too much weight! I won't go to detox for 1mg, I mean really? I've heard horror stories. Anyway, I guess I'm just having a bad day but thought I'd ask if yall have had this kind of reaction with hydration and thick saliva

Have a great calm relaxing evening.

Thanks guys 

By now

Also, does anyone else have a salty taste in their mouth all the time? 

1 minute ago, [[n...] said:

Also, does anyone else have a salty taste in their mouth all the time? 

I guess it could be an altered taste, like the metal taste we all seem to get. I finally got my saliva back, that was awful but now this salty taste is disturbing especially with hyponatremia,  don't know if I need sodium or got to much lol, it's a challenge for sure.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2024 at 08:27, [[n...] said:

Now my mouth is so dry, thick saliva, hard to swallow. It's like having mucous in my throat all day long but my nose is dry, skin is dry

hello! this is exactly what i'm going through right now and i stopped taking the meds on August 29, 2023, so it's been almost 5 months off. my mouth and throat are SUPER dry, even drinking a ton of water doesn't help. there's mucus stuck at the back of my throat that wasn't there before and it doesn't really go away even when i try to cough to it out. i didnt really experience this the first month but then it got worse since. it's getting slightly better each day but only slightly. how are you doing now?