Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is Azithromycin safe to take while still tapering a benzo? Very scared

[62...]

[62...]

Hi everyone, I’m currently still tapering klonopin .875 mg.  I got a tick bite and my doctor called in Azithromycin 500 mg for 7 days. 
I could not take doxycycline due to an allergic reaction. Is this antibiotic safe to take while still tapering a benzo? 

any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance. 

6 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hi everyone, I’m currently still tapering klonopin .875 mg.  I got a tick bite and my doctor called in Azithromycin 500 mg for 7 days. 
I could not take doxycycline due to an allergic reaction. Is this antibiotic safe to take while still tapering a benzo? 

any information would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance. 

I had no issue with an antibiotic in this family - while tapering Valium.   It’s the fluoroquinolones u want to avoid.  For more comfort google drug interactions on the two drugs to see what comes up.  Good luck. 🙏

@[Ja...] I'm allergic to doxycycline, too. Had a terrible reaction. But I've taken azithromycin while tapering several times with no bad effects. So it might be okay for you. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take it again. Hope this helps.

[62...]
8 hours ago, [[o...] said:

@[Ja...] I'm allergic to doxycycline, too. Had a terrible reaction. But I've taken azithromycin while tapering several times with no bad effects. So it might be okay for you. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to take it again.

I was so nervous to start this antibiotic but I feel more at ease now. 
‘thank you for that info. 

I've heard quite a few comments from folks saying antibiotics can be addictive.  I'm so into alternative treatments because I'm scared to death after experiencing what it means to be hooked on a prescription drug.  I don't mean to scare anyone, I am just telling you what I've heard.  I would research it very good before ever allowing another drug, supplement, or nutrition into my body, oregonlady

23 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

I've heard quite a few comments from folks saying antibiotics can be addictive.  I'm so into alternative treatments because I'm scared to death after experiencing what it means to be hooked on a prescription drug.  I don't mean to scare anyone, I am just telling you what I've heard.  I would research it very good before ever allowing another drug, supplement, or nutrition into my body, oregonlady

While antibiotics are widely overused, they are not addictive. There are times when an antibiotic is needed. I am allergic to quite a few antibiotics but have taking azithromycin successfully during taper, recovery and even now that I’m healed. I have premedicate before dental work due to a join replacement. It’s really important I do this to avoid a serious systemic issue.

I don't doubt there are times when we need antibiotics, it's just that I believe from my own experience, they can be harmful.  Maybe I should have put in my experience with a common one, amoxicilin.  I was on it 3 months, they kept refilling it so a 'script once a month.  I had a serious sinus infection and it was so bad I couldn't drive because my equilibrium was messed up, and my head, I can only describe as full of cement.  I finally quit the ABs and drank some ACV, which actually got things moving again, and I've never had a sinus infection since and that was somewhere around 2010.

I guess in the defense of antibiotics, I was well into tolerance wd and had been on the benzo since '88.  I don't mean to contradict, it's just my experience, oregonlady