Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Prescribed cannabis flower inflamed withdrawal symptoms

My doctor recently prescribed me vaping medicinal cannabis flower indica strain and with 18% THC. I told him I can’t tolerate any THC even in my CBD OIL.  He said this would be fine as the strain was a calming and sedating effect.  I have never used cannabis in my life (62 years old) so I tried it twice and on both occasions sure it was calming but when it wore off the depression and anxiety were so much worse. I read that THC affects the same gaba receptors as benzodiazepines.  I am now really struggling is it the cannabis THC that has made my symptoms so much worse and how long will it take for my receptors to settle again 

Hi SJR,

My understanding is that THC does not affect gaba the way benzos do, but ... that doesn't mean that it can't cause an uptick in sxs. I tried THC at the very beginning of my w/d process and while it helped with the nausea, it worsened the tachycardia i was experiencing. I had to stop using it because it made my heart race so much (and I used to smoke weed recreationally with no issues before this benzo stuff). If you find it to be ultimately more aggravating than helpful, I would stop using it. But it's unlikely that whatever you're feeling from it will last very long. If you stop using it, you will return to baseline soon! 

18% THC is too much to be honest.  A simple google search of "thc gaba" gives me lots of serious consequences.  I'd avoid it.

I would tread lightly, that much THC can give you anxiety. Try a CBN with super low dose of THC.

I agree THC can amp up your anxiety.  In your shoes I would consider trying a strain with high CBD and very low THC.  It's important to start low and go slow.  

When you introduce other substances, meds, supplements into the mix is no-one knows how you will react - it's varies so much from one individual to the next.  

• Like 1

Just mentioning, It's not just gaba receptors who are affected by such occurances, the endo cannabinoid receptors affect the gabaergic ones indirectly,

Cbd/thc also affect the serotoninergic receptors idk exactly how, but the 5ht3 and 5ht1 hás something to do with It, and these also affect the gabaergic receptors...

i was stolen from the ability to enjoy weed once i got harmed for the fisrt time, never had a problem prior with weed or with anxiety and depression either, when i got out brain damaged from the torture called as treatment, i couldnt touch weed without severely exacerbating the brain injury symptomalogy

Then when i fully recovered i could smoke again with zero issues, that until being  tortured against my will for a second time, from there on i could never again enjoy cannabis, cbd, thc,

Wish i could, It was pleasurable, from the whole life destruction that i got from forced treatment, this is just one more stuff stolen, even If it's little, If that was the only consequence, It would be nothing.

Edited by [De...]
  • Like 1

@[...] I've always found CBD to be calming. It contains very little (.03%) THC. Almost none. Indica revs me up,  and sativa makes me loopy. I avoid both of them because of the THC content. You could check out a website called Lazarus Naturals. They're reputable, and will mail you a CBD preparation. I buy from  them: CBD gummies. About 15 mgs of CBD makes me feel ommmm. Hope this helps.

Many thanks everyone for your feedback.  I have stopped using the cannabis flower.  After a lot of trials I finally found a CBD OIL 100:14 non activated THCA.   Even CBD OIL with.3 THC would start to make my symptoms worse as it builds up in my body over a week.  I have found that I develop a tolerance to the CBD after a couple of months.  

I use to love to smoke weed so i tried as a aid when my anxiety was at it worst.

Yes it sure made it worse. I won't touch it until i feel 100% good again. Good plant though for many symptoms. Just not benzo wd.

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, [[v...] said:

Does CBD shows in urine tests as THC?

If it contains THC yes.

I'm smashing my bong for 4 days while I withdraw. Probley on the 5th or 6th day I will stop cannabis. I don't get withdrawals from cannabis at all. I just become clear headed and less numb over 2 days or 3. 

Thc of 25% 100% Indica strain. And it brilliant weed also top quality medical weed.