Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Head pressure everyday (need advice)

Everyday I have head pressure that very tough in the morning and gradually reduce over afternoon and start again around 6-8pm and reduce before sleep. The pressure is very intense and I cannot do anything. I need to stop work for 1 month already. This symptom ruin my life and my family.  

8 weeks off CT from .75K, Was on it for insomnia for 5 months. 

Anyone else have/had it? What did you do about it? Should I reinstated? 

Hello @[...]and welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Head pressure is a common withdrawal symptom, I had it pretty intensely after my ct from a low dose of Ativan. Additionally, you are pretty new off benzos and you were on klonopin, a strong benzo.

The fact that this symptom eases up during the day means there is healing going on. I would personally not reinstate. As time progresses this symptom should ease up. Are you having any other withdrawal symptoms? 

There isn’t a lot you can do to alleviate this pressure. I found that distraction was key for me during my recovery. I had many things I did to take my mind off how I felt. 

Benzo withdrawal can be challenging for some of us, but it helps to know you are not alone. We’ll be happy to support and encourage youth through the process, we get it. 

• Like 2

@[pi...]Thank you so much for your reply. I think anxiety and depression is pretty much intense for me bc of the feeling from head pressure that I have everyday. 
This week I found that if I wear a tight cap it helps to distract me from the pressure. I don't know why I can't feel the improvement for the head pressure even after 2 months pass. 

Also I just 3 weeks off from Mirtazapine 15mg (on it for 3 months) and 1 week off from  Fluoxetine 20mg (on it for 1 month). Doctor prescribed Mirtazapine for my anxiety and insomnia but no idea why I need to be on Fluoxetine. I can sleep maybe 5-6 hrs without any meds now. 

Welcome @[...] - I had horrible head pressure too for the first several months after a rapid taper off Klonopin.  It's an awful symptoms.  My guess is that your system is highly sensitized by your CT of Klonopin followed by quitting mirtazapine and Fluoxetine - that's a lot of adjustments your central nervous system has had to make.  Your system is working hard to make these adjustments - it may take some time to heal.  Please remind yourself that it is normal to feel some rough withdrawal symptoms like head pressure but these symptoms are temporary - over time they will resolve and fade away.  It takes a lot of patience and acceptance but every day brings you closer to recovery.  

• Like 2

@[Br...]May I ask your help to describe your head pressure feeling. Also how you distract your self from this. 
For me I feel like my head is going to explode from inside or my brain is swelling, but my body balance is normal. I tried migraine meds, tylenol, advil. Nothing help.

Your description is exactly what I experienced - it felt like my skull was shrinking and compressing my brain.  It wasn't painful.  When I described it to my "therapist" she reacted as though I was speaking Martian - she'd never heard of anything like it which of course made me feel like either I was a freak or something was terribly wrong.  It's a big part of why I started searching on the internet and finally found BenzoBuddies where I learned head pressure was a common withdrawal symptoms.  The psychological relief I felt was huge.  But I didn't find a way to relieve the symptom itself.  The most effective way of coping with it was distraction.  For me, going for a long walk in nature everyday helped me focus less on this symptom and others.  I don't think I felt the pressure as much when I was walking.  In general, distracting myself was the key to getting through less miserably - by cooking, tidying, drawing and painting, watching funny TV shows, etc.  After a few months it faded away.  I'm sorry you're in the thick of this.  Remember it is temporary.   I hope it lifts and fades away for you soon.

• Like 2

Should I reinstate? 

Last thing you want to do, never take benzos again, also, the other drugs withdrawals, Imo just hold on, dont keep trying psychotropics,  opposed to what the professionals from this field claim, leading tô more harm, that's not "only in your head"

I didnt had head pressure i guess from the skull per se, but i had several spots of pressure in my brain, left side mostly, several spots, i guess that a good NSAID antiinflamatory is meloxicam, better than advil, acts and antioxidant and antiinflamatory, you find info online, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25772694/ it also counteracts the overexpression of the glutamate receptors trough their mRNA , also avaliable online, it's a NSAID, toxic to the kidneys and gi tract, use in cycles If you do, 3/4 days, Max 7 days and cycling off 

Another is pioglitazone a drug prescribed for diabetes, which seems to bê usefull for trigeminnal pain and nerve protective, 

Another is nimodipine also seems to be of use with facial nerves, dont know about interactions 

Edited by [De...]