Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need help on how to taper after triple dosing Ambien prescription and then stopping each month

I get a 30 day prescription of Ambien from my doctor each month. I have made some bad decisions and fallen into the habit of triple dosing until the prescription runs out and then starting again when I get a refill. I have ADHD and a small dose of Adderall is very important for treating it each day. I have had to stop taking the Adderall because the withdrawal from the Ambien has gotten so bad each month. I cannot tell my doctor because she will likely cut me off of the Adderall completely if she finds out I have been abusing the Ambien. I doubt I would find any other doctor willing to prescribe the Adderall if they discover I have a history of abuse of another medication. I did not have any idea how powerful this medication is and how sensitive I am to it when this started happening. 

I know I need to stop taking the Ambien completely. It has actually started making me feel terrible when I take it. Stopping cold turkey is too much. I have tried tapering down by very slowing reducing the dose I take during the first 10 days but this has resulted in high blood pressure and other severe withdrawal symptoms that persist even when I make it to my next refill. I feel like I am just making my physical dependence worst. Does anyone have an recommendation on a better way to taper after falling into this abuse pattern or any type of detox provider I can use without ending up with a documented history of substance abuse? 

Hello @[No...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies!

You are not the first person to find themselves in a difficult situation like yours. However, it is most definitely possible for you to taper off ambien successfully.

First of all it will take some discipline. I believe the best plan is for you is to stabilize on a steady daily dose. The idea is to find the lowest possible dose where the withdrawal  symptoms are minimized. You will not be able to take the large amounts you do now, since you I’ll need to have enough ambien for the entire month. Once you have done that you can plan a slow and careful taper. 

We generally recommend reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14:days. This can allow the nervous system to adjust to the dose reductions. 

Detox is usually not recommended, it is really nothing more than a cold turkey often with adjunct medications added to the mix. 

We’ll be happy to help you plan your taper. We’ll need to know what daily dose of ambien you will be taking. This won’t be a fast process, to control your blood pressure and to minimize withdrawal symptoms, slow and steady is the way to go. 

Let us know how we can help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
[No...]

Thank you for the response @[pi...]. My apologies for my delayed response but I ran into some serious medical issues shortly after posting this. I have been focusing on VERY slowly reducing the high doses and spreading out the rest to get to a steady dose. Even this is proving to be quite painful. I have a lot of anxiety, depression, brain fog, and obsessive thoughts. My prescribed daily dose is 5 mg. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[No...]

Can anyone recommend a plan for gradually reducing the larger doses for smaller ones to gradually get into a steady lower dose? I started alternating between a larger dose and a smaller dose each day (3mg on day 1, 1 mg on day 2, 3mg on day 3 etc.) but it seems to be making the process worst. Should I continue taking the higher doses consecutively and then taper down a little more each month? Something like take 3mg for first 5 days and then 1mg until they run out. Next month take 3mg for first 4 days and then taper down slower?

[pi...]

Hello @[No...],

Inconsistent dosing is really confusing to an already confused central nervous system. I can’t offer you a plan, my taper was so long ago and was quite rough. However, there are others who can guide you towards a better, more sensible way to reduce from the higher doses.

I would suggest you start a thread on the Taper Strategy Forum. Here is a link for you.

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/120-benzodiazepine-taper-strategies-planning/

It can be done, ask questions and you’ll receive support and information.

• Like 1