Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Kindling

[Br...]

This is not 100% established but I think it's more related to stopping and starting again, like with alcohol.

For alcoholics each detox is more difficult.  But drinking a lot of alcohol only on weekends is more dangerous than daily moderate drinking for non-alcoholics because of the repeated withdrawals.  I don't know how the latter extrapolates to interdose withdrawal with benzos but in this case our bodies haven't fully detoxified.

The one thing I know for certain is that worrying about kindling increases anxiety.

If you haven't already read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative–hypnotic_withdrawal)
https://www.benzoinfo.com/kindling/

Edited by [ve...]
  • Like 2

It’s more about stopping and starting again.  I was on Klonopin for 18 years, got off for 10 months and then reinstated and was back on for a little over a year.  Despite a much slower and methodical taper the second attempt to get off, the withdrawal symptoms were 5x worse.  

And then, like an idiot, while going through a divorce, I went back on Klonopin again. Was on 3-4 months and started getting tolerance withdrawal and then paradoxical reactions. Tapered off over three months.  Withdrawal symptoms are probably 20x worse than the first time.  I’m barely hanging on.  

The lesson here is kindling is real and do not reinstate. 

I have been on alprazolam started on 0.5 for about 4 years dosage my doctor had me take it 3×a day. Then after another year he increased it to 0.75 which I'm on now but I don't want to stay on it  as I have been on this poison for a total of 6 years..taking it as prescribed for all those years...how can I taper off ??

Hello @[ly...] and welcome to Benzo Buddiea,

It is most definitely possible for you to successfully taper off alprazolam successfully, many people have done just this. It sounds like you are determined to stop taking this drug, good for you. I’m glad you’ve joined the forum, you’ll find BB is a very good resource of information about tapering as well as support from those who understand the process.

After many years of taking alprazolam a slow taper is the best plan. We generally recommend reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. This can allow your nervous system to adjust to the dose reduction. Some people go even slower. It is important to listen to your body and adjust the rate if necessary. Benzo withdrawal is not a race, slow and steady is the way to go.

I would suggest you start your own thread, that way we can address your circumstances and the information won’t get mixed up with the original poster. 

We’ll be happy to help you so please ask questions. This is doable with a sensible taper plan. 

@piano girl..thanks so much for your information..I think I was cutting my dose of 0.75..too fast been through a lot of stress with my family starting in April of this year..cut by 0.25 and stayed there for a whole 2months..so decided to go back to original dose until I'm in a better place and family stress has leveled off..what do anyone think on my decision?? And what are how do I make a thread please help...

On 30/12/2023 at 20:29, [[v...] said:

This is not 100% established but I think it's more related to stopping and starting again, like with alcohol.

For alcoholics each detox is more difficult.  But drinking a lot of alcohol only on weekends is more dangerous than daily moderate drinking for non-alcoholics because of the repeated withdrawals.  I don't know how the latter extrapolates to interdose withdrawal with benzos but in this case our bodies haven't fully detoxified.

The one thing I know for certain is that worrying about kindling increases anxiety.

If you haven't already read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindling_(sedative–hypnotic_withdrawal)
https://www.benzoinfo.com/kindling/

Worrying about everything seems like the most common symptom IMO