Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Getting off my zanax

[te...]

I'm new here, I been talking 2mg of Xanax for about 14 years, down to 1 in half mg, just started, my legs are burning and pin pokes, is the the Xanax? I also take Norco for my pain so idk what's going on.

Hello @[te...] and welcome to BenzoBuddies!  You'll find an abundance of good information and support here to help you with your taper off Xanax.   

It will help us to have a bit more information.  Please tell us more about your taper. What made you decide to quit?  Have you ever started and quit a benzo before? 

As a general guideline for tapering we typically suggest making cuts of 5-10% of your most recent dose every two weeks or so depending on your symptoms.  If you have difficult withdrawal symptoms that make it difficult to function it's usually a sign that you need to slow down your taper, making smaller cuts and/or holding longer between cuts.  If you started off your taper with a cut of .5mg that would be a 25% cut, considerably larger than we typically suggest.  

We're glad you found us!

Brighterday

Hi @[te...] - I would make much smaller cuts of your Xanax.  As I mentioned above it looks like you started off your taper with a cut of .5mg.  I would make a much smaller cut. For instance, if you are using 1 mg pills, I would  try to cut the pills into 1/8ths and reduce your dose by 1/8mg.  This may be gentler on your system.

How many mgs are your Xanax tablets?  Do you take Xanax once a day?  

As you know, Norco is an opioid medication.  How long have you been taking it?

As mentioned above I would make much smaller cuts of your Xanax.  As I mentioned above it looks like you started off your taper with a cut of .5mg.  I would make a much smaller cut. For instance, if you are using 1 mg pills, I would  try to cut the pills into 1/8ths and reduce your dose by 1/8mg.  Making smaller cuts may help keep your withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.

Hi, How do you take 1/8 off a 1 mg pill?

I've been a member for a long time and I really need to start. Thanks.