Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dr. Mark Horowitz Interview

[Li...]

In this December 13 episode of Benzotired, Naftal Benisty and Emma Saunders interview Dr. Mark Horowitz, co-author of the soon-to-be-published Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs.  Mark is a trainee psychiatrist and Clinical Research Fellow at North East London NHS Trust, where he runs a psychiatric drug deprescribing clinic.  He also has lived experience with polypharmacy and psychiatric drug withdrawal. 

Time Stamps & Topics
(00:00:00) Introduction
(00:01:44) Mark's inspiration for writing the book
(00:06:08) The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines
(00:09:10) The Ashton Manual, tapering speeds, risk factors and sensitization
(00:20:22) Neuro imaging and dose/GABA receptor occupancy
(00:22:15) Doctor and patient education
(00:27:09) Risks versus benefits of psych meds
(00:35:50) Addiction versus physical dependence (and why it’s important to know the difference!)
(00:37:48) Holding and tolerance
(00:46:08) How Mark is currently doing & managing withdrawal effects

Episode #60: Dr. Mark Horowitz, MBBS PhD
https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/benzotired/episodes/60-Dr--Mark-Horowitz--MBBS-PhD---author-of-The-Maudsley-Deprescribing-Guidelines-collab-with-Emma-S---from-Unfiltered-e2cj8kq/a-a9s3ncm

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Thanks for sharing and outlining time stamps and topics, @[Li...].  As a result, I decided to fast forward to the ‘holding and tolerance’ discussion.  Good conversation, and content, that lined up with my opinions/beliefs gathered through my lived experience.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Thanks for sharing and outlining time stamps and topics, @[Li...].  As a result, I decided to fast forward to the ‘holding and tolerance’ discussion.  Good conversation, and content, that lined up with my opinions/beliefs gathered through my lived experience.  

You’re welcome, @[Fa...]. Mark’s comments about holding and tolerance rang true to me as well.  

I hope our members and guests will pay particular attention to the segment about the difference between physical dependence and addiction/substance use disorder starting at 00:35:50.  

Why?  To avoid what Mark refers to as “dysfunctional responses” by prescribers who do not understand the difference and (mis)interpret withdrawal effects as a sign of addiction/abuse/misuse (instead of a sign of physical dependence).

Mark identifies one such dysfunctional response — “If you are having withdrawal effects, you must be abusing the drug.  I don’t prescribe to people who abuse drugs.”  — others include forcing the patient into a too rapid taper, referring the patient to a detox/rehab center, or refusing to continue treating the patient at all.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Essential listening. There is so much in this interview with explanations & analogies. Everyone involved in prescribing should listen. The forthcoming publication Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines will be invaluable. 

• Like 1

I agree that Mark and David’s new book will be very helpful to both prescribers and patients, @[Ka...]!  The Kindle edition of the book is now available in the US via Amazon (see below). The print version is scheduled for US release in the March/April timeframe.

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs, Kindle Edition
by Mark Horowitz (Author), David M. Taylor (Author) 
https://a.co/d/4laVDhd

Thank you. I’m over in the UK - it’s not available at the moment for pre-order on Amazon (don’t have kindle as prefer real books). 
The BBC panorama programme here last year had a big impact. The book is going to be a global game changer! 

Per the publisher’s website, the print version is scheduled for UK release in February 2024.

Addendum …

Here’s the link to the publisher’s website:

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs | Wiley

https://www.wiley.com/en-gb/The+Maudsley+Deprescribing+Guidelines%3A+Antidepressants%2C+Benzodiazepines%2C+Gabapentinoids+and+Z+drugs-p-9781119822981

• Like 1