Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Blood Pressure and Intestinal/gut Motility!

[Ba...]

Does benzodiazepine withdrawal cause gut/intestinal motility issues? I take senna stimulant laxative every other day because my intestinal muscles haven’t moved for 1 year so I don’t feel the urge to go for number 2. I feel damaged and the gastroenterologist doesn’t know why this has happened. Benzo withdrawal also caused me Diastolic Hypertension and Orthostatic Hypertension (my standing blood pressure is very high)… it’s not POTS.  BUT I made a connection so let me know if it makes sense: 

ChatGPT
ChatGPT

There's ongoing research exploring the potential link between orthostatic intolerance (OI) and gut motility issues. Some studies suggest a possible association between autonomic nervous system dysfunction, which is implicated in OI, and gastrointestinal symptoms, including motility problems. The autonomic nervous system plays a role in regulating bodily functions, including heart rate, blood pressure, and digestion.

Benzodiazepine withdrawal can potentially lead to autonomic dysfunction. Benzodiazepines affect the central nervous system, and their abrupt discontinuation or tapering off after prolonged use can cause various withdrawal symptoms, including dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system.

Individuals experiencing benzodiazepine withdrawal may encounter symptoms such as changes in blood pressure, heart rate variability, temperature regulation, and other signs of autonomic dysfunction. These symptoms can contribute to a range of discomforts, including dizziness, sweating, palpitations, and difficulties with temperature control.

Does anyone here struggle with hypertension and/or intestinal motility issues? Did it get better because I don’t know if this is permanent. 

Note: I have been on Clonazepam 1.5mg for 6 years and started tapering 1.5 years ago through liquid tappers made by a compounding pharmacy. I drop by 1/8 of a pill almost every month or every other month because as I have other health conditions which make me sensitive. 

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!   To answer your question, yes benzo withdrawal causes all kinds of gastrointestinal issues......diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation, etc.   

Also, withdrawal can cause blood pressure issues.

You can refer to the Ashton Manual on this site if you have not done so already.  It has lots of valuable information as well as a list of symptoms.    

Of course, if you think you need to be checked out by a doctor, please do so.    

Welcome to BB @[Ba...]. Can you provide a brief benzo history, please? Are you currently in the process of tapering benzos or thinking about it? These medical issues you are currently dealing with.......when did all these things start happening to you? Did you have any of this going on prior to starting benzos?

There could potentially be a medical link to the issues you are dealing with to benzodiazepine but we must always be careful with the confirmation bias.

• 4 weeks later...

@[Ba...]well i'm having the same symptoms i've seen my diastolic shooting up to 125 and systolic 175 heart rate 145 stomach is always in pains and body pain too im out cold turkey klonopin 0.5 mg im just 25 yo

Edited by [KL...]