Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help Sevrage Diazepam/Zolpiden

[No...]

Bonjour à tous, 

Suite à une dépression sévère en novembre 2023 on m'as prescrit des benzodiazépines pour introduire un antidépresseur qu'il faut que je sevre doucement. 

Je garde bien évidemment le lantidepresseur introduit du Prozac. 

La dose initiale de Diazepam à été de 30 mg par jour en 3 prises pendant 15 jours. 

Aujourd'hui j'en suis à ceci :

5 mg Diazépam le matin

7.5 zolpidem au coucher

10 mg Diazépam au coucher

Voici mon plan pour janvier 2024 :

Matin

Semaine 1 et 2  : 5 Mg Diazépam 

Semaine 3 et 4 : 4 Mg Diazépam

Semaine 5 et 6 : 3 Mg Diazépam

Semaines 7 et 8 : 2 Mg Diazépam

Semaine 9 et 10 : 1 Mg Diazépam

Semaine 11 : 0

Soir :

Semaine 1 : zolpidem 7,5/Diazépam 10

Semaine 2 : arrêter Zolpidem/ Diazépam 10 mg

Semaine 3 et 4 : Diazépam 9mg

Semaine 5 et 6 : Diazépam 8 Mg

Semaine 7 et 8 : Diazépam 7 mg

Semaine 9 et 10 : Diazépam 6 Mg

Semaine 11 et 12 : Diazépam 5 Mg

Semaine 13 et 14 : Diazépam 4 Mg

Semaine 15 et 16 : Diazépam 3 mg

Semaine 17 et 18 : Diazépam 2 mg

Semaine 19 et 20 : Diazépam 1 mg

Semaine 21 : 0

Cela vous semble t'il cohérent ou au contraire trop long pour sevrer les benzodiazépine ? 

Merci pour vos réponses. 

Ps : désolé je suis français j'espère que la traduction fonctionnera. 

Edited by [No...]

44 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

Hello everyone,

Following severe depression in November 2023, I was prescribed benzodiazepines to introduce an antidepressant that I must slowly wean off.

I obviously keep the antidepressant introduced Prozac.

The initial dose of Diazepam was 30 mg per day in 3 doses for 15 days.

Today I am at this:

5 mg Diazepam in the morning

7.5 zolpidem at bedtime

10 mg Diazepam at bedtime

Here is my plan for January 2024:

Morning

Week 1 and 2: 5 Mg Diazepam

Week 3 and 4: 4 Mg Diazepam

Week 5 and 6: 3 Mg Diazepam

Weeks 7 and 8: 2 Mg Diazepam

Week 9 and 10: 1 Mg Diazepam

Week 11: 0

Evening :

Week 1: zolpidem 7.5/Diazepam 10

Week 2: stop Zolpidem/ Diazepam 10 mg

Week 3 and 4: Diazepam 9mg

Week 5 and 6: Diazepam 8 Mg

Week 7 and 8: Diazepam 7 mg

Week 9 and 10: Diazepam 6 Mg

Week 11 and 12: Diazepam 5 Mg

Week 13 and 14: Diazepam 4 Mg

Week 15 and 16: Diazepam 3 mg

Week 17 and 18: Diazepam 2 mg

Week 19 and 20: Diazepam 1 mg

Week 21: 0

Does this seem coherent to you or on the contrary too long to wean off benzodiazepines?

Thank you for your answers.

Ps: sorry I'm French I hope the translation works.

Bonjour @[No...]. Bienvenue chez BenzoBuddies.

Je regrette que votre traduction automatique n'ait pas fonctionné. J'ai traduit votre introduction pour vous. Veuillez essayer une autre méthode pour générer vos commentaires en anglais. (Google Traduction semble fonctionner plutôt bien).

Nous suggérons généralement de diminuer progressivement la prise de benzodiazépines au bout de quelques semaines après une utilisation à court terme de benzodiazépines. Le programme de réduction que vous avez décrit est plus habituel après une utilisation prolongée (plusieurs mois ou années d'utilisation).

Quand avez-vous commencé votre traitement par benzodiazépines en novembre ?

I regret that your auto-translation did not work. I have translated your introduction for you. Please try an alternative method for generating your comments in English. (Google Translation seems to work quite well).

We generally suggest tapering off over a few weeks after short-term use of benzodiazepines. The taper schedule you have outlined is more usual after extended use (many months or years of use).

When did you start your benzodiazepines in November?

• Like 1

First of all, thank you for the welcome and the response.

I started Diazepam 30 mg on November 22, 2023.

Gradual reduction of effexor 112.5 mg on November 22 until complete cessation on December 3 while incorporating low dose of Prozac, and switching to 20 mg Prozac on December 3 while remaining at 30 mg of Diazepam until December 3 when we switched to 5mg Diazepam in the morning, 10mg Diazepam at bedtime+7.5mg zopiclen.

The psychiatrist tells me to reduce gradually but I'm afraid of going too quickly and that if I go too slowly the body will get used to the benzodiazepine. This is why I try to have a consistent reduction program.

Thank you for your response and feedback.

1 minute ago, [[N...] said:
First of all, thank you for the welcome and the response.

I started Diazepam 30 mg on November 22, 2023.

Gradual reduction of effexor 112.5 mg on November 22 until complete cessation on December 3 while incorporating low dose of Prozac, and switching to 20 mg Prozac on December 3 while remaining at 30 mg of Diazepam until December 3 when we switched to 5mg Diazepam in the morning, 10mg Diazepam at bedtime+7.5mg zopiclen.

The psychiatrist tells me to reduce gradually but I'm afraid of going too quickly and that if I go too slowly the body will get used to the benzodiazepine. This is why I try to have a consistent reduction program.

Thank you for your response and feedback.

In your shoes, I would follow your psychiatrist's advice. Has he/her suggested a taper schedule for you? When did you psychiatrist suggest that you start your taper off diazepam and zolpidem?

My psychiatrist just told me to deal with the sensation but did not give me a timetable for reduction over time except for zolpiden where he told me to stop it after a week because the Diazepam would take relay. He told me to keep 5mg Diazepam in the morning and 10mg Diazepam in the evening until January 1st and that after that it was up to me to manage with 2 or 1 mg tablets...

Hello @[No...]

Please find another way to copy your text here. The image of text is difficult to read. Google Translate works well.

So, you should hold off tapering until January, as instructed by your psychiatrist. We generally suggest a symptom-based taper, where you make cuts according to how you react to previous cuts. But given your very limited use, you should probably initially plan to taper off quite rapidly. But if you begin to experience difficulties, you would then slow down your taper.

My psychiatrist just told me to manage by sensation but did not give me a timetable for reduction in time except for zolpiden where he told me to stop it after a week because the Diazepam would take  the relay for sleep.  He told me to keep 5 mg of Diazepam in the morning and 10 mg of Diazepam in the evening until January 1st to let the Christmas holidays pass and that after that it was up to me to make do with Diazepam tablets.  2 or 1 mg... I only have an appointment with him in February with him.  Having never taken a benzodiazepine, I would like to stop without too much damage

OK. So you will taper off at a rate according to how you feel as your taper progresses. That's sensible. In all likelihood, you will be able to taper off over a few weeks.

Presumably, your psychiatrist wished to make sure that you felt OK and are safe in the short-term while your antidepressant has time to take effect (antidepressants generally taking 1-2 months to take full effect).

It is reasonable to use benzodiazepines for a short periods in such situations. I understand you being anxious about not taking benzodiazepines for too long and risk becoming dependent. But if you start your taper on 1st January as suggested by your psychiatrist, and you do not draw out the taper for longer than necessary, there is little risk of you developing a meaningful dependency.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Good evening, I just suffered a crash while reducing to 1 mg at bedtime, since Monday, excessive sweating, strong anxiety, anguish... .  Last week was 2mg at bedtime and the week before 5mg.  Do you think taking 5 mg again at bedtime is consistent?  I didn't see my doctor again until February 19.

Good evening, so I took 5 mg of valium at bedtime and 2 mg in the morning every other day since February 1st... The transition from 5 mg to 2 mg in 4 days was too hard... However, I  I followed my doctor's withdrawal program.  I stabilize and resume weaning next week by applying the Ashton method!  My body is dependent, 3 months was enough.  Thanks for your help @Colin

Edited by [No...]