Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Mexazolam/diazepam

[Kr...]

Hey, guys! 

I took Mexazolam (sedoxil) 1mg for 4 years, almost everyday. Try to stop it sometimes but felt bad and I just continue with the meds without understanding the consequences. When my doctor left I was left without the medicine and they prescribe me 0.5 of Xanax to try it out. After 3 weeks I felt awfull and came back to Mexazolam. It was never the same and never had the same effect. I tried several other medicines but nothings is working as good as Mexazolam was before. The new doctor told me to stop Mexazolam and start with diazepam to do the tapering of benzos. I stayed with diazepam 15 mg during 4 weeks, and I am now in 10 mg, trying to tapping it in 6 weeks and use Mexazolam as an SOS. It was been horrible. I feel diazepam has a lot of side effects on me (headaches, chest pain, lack of breathing, despersonalization, agitation, anxiety… today I took 0.5 of Mexazolam as an SOS and I felt better. Should I continue with the tapering with Valium? Should I continue taking Mexazolam in SOS? Or should I tapper directly from Mexazolam, since I feel better with it? 

thanks for reading. Listening to your stories gives me hope and makes me feel that I’m not aloneS 

Hello @[Kr...],welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Did you ever feel stable on the diazepam before you started tapering it, I’m wondering if you went on enough to cover the Mexazolam?  The reason I’m asking is because what you’re describing as side effects sound more like withdrawal symptoms to me.  I’m not familiar with Mexazolam, I’m just now looking up some information on it.  

When you say SOS, do you mean taking it in emergency situations?  

I’m sorry I haven’t answered your questions, but I’m hoping we can talk this through.

Pamster

3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Hey, guys! 

I took Mexazolam (sedoxil) 1mg for 4 years, almost everyday. Try to stop it sometimes but felt bad and I just continue with the meds without understanding the consequences. When my doctor left I was left without the medicine and they prescribe me 0.5 of Xanax to try it out. After 3 weeks I felt awfull and came back to Mexazolam. It was never the same and never had the same effect. I tried several other medicines but nothings is working as good as Mexazolam was before. The new doctor told me to stop Mexazolam and start with diazepam to do the tapering of benzos. I stayed with diazepam 15 mg during 4 weeks, and I am now in 10 mg, trying to tapping it in 6 weeks and use Mexazolam as an SOS. It was been horrible. I feel diazepam has a lot of side effects on me (headaches, chest pain, lack of breathing, despersonalization, agitation, anxiety… today I took 0.5 of Mexazolam as an SOS and I felt better. Should I continue with the tapering with Valium? Should I continue taking Mexazolam in SOS? Or should I tapper directly from Mexazolam, since I feel better with it? 

thanks for reading. Listening to your stories gives me hope and makes me feel that I’m not aloneS 

I am always amazed at the sheer number of benzos that are available in other Countries. I have never heard of Mexazolam. I had to google it and even Google did not yield many search results. This benzo seems to have a pretty short half-life. Am I wrong?

You said you only took 1 mg for 4 years. You were doing ok and did not appear to have any tolerance issues going on. Then, you lost your prescribing doc, got cut off, and that was when your benzo hell began. Have you personally researched this benzo @[Kr...]? Was 15 mgs of valium equivalent to the 1 MG of Mexazolam? IDK! Were you taking this drug to relieve anxiety? Was the 1MG giving you 24 HR coverage with no interdose w/d? 

It is weird but once you stop a benzo you were not having a problem with, experience w/d, restart the same benzo at the same dose, it never seems to work as it did prior to stopping and I don't have a logical reason for why that would be but I have seen it happen to numerous ppl over the years.

You also said when the old doc left, the new prescriber Rx'd you the Xanax. Why did not the new prescriber simply continue Rx'ing you the Mexazolam?

4 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hello @[Kr...],welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Did you ever feel stable on the diazepam before you started tapering it, I’m wondering if you went on enough to cover the Mexazolam?  The reason I’m asking is because what you’re describing as side effects sound more like withdrawal symptoms to me.  I’m not familiar with Mexazolam, I’m just now looking up some information on it.  

When you say SOS, do you mean taking it in emergency situations?  

I’m sorry I haven’t answered your questions, but I’m hoping we can talk this through.

Pamster

I never felt ok with the diazepam… I just feel calmer and I can sleep again, something that I was not able before. They all seem whitdrawl symptoms to me, too…  also when I took 0.5 of mexazolam I felt a little bit better yesterday. 

SOS: Yes, if im feeling in a living hell. Like I did yesterday. 

3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I am always amazed at the sheer number of benzos that are available in other Countries. I have never heard of Mexazolam. I had to google it and even Google did not yield many search results. This benzo seems to have a pretty short half-life. Am I wrong?

You said you only took 1 mg for 4 years. You were doing ok and did not appear to have any tolerance issues going on. Then, you lost your prescribing doc, got cut off, and that was when your benzo hell began. Have you personally researched this benzo @[Kr...]? Was 15 mgs of valium equivalent to the 1 MG of Mexazolam? IDK! Were you taking this drug to relieve anxiety? Was the 1MG giving you 24 HR coverage with no interdose w/d? 

It is weird but once you stop a benzo you were not having a problem with, experience w/d, restart the same benzo at the same dose, it never seems to work as it did prior to stopping and I don't have a logical reason for why that would be but I have seen it happen to numerous ppl over the years.

You also said when the old doc left, the new prescriber Rx'd you the Xanax. Why did not the new prescriber simply continue Rx'ing you the Mexazolam?

Hello! 

I think it’s not a short life but it’s not as long as diazepam. 

I have information that it’s equal to 10mg of Valium, the amount that I’m taking right now. I was taking 15mg for 4 weeks and then start last week with 12.5 and this week im on 10. I’m going to cut off 2.5 each week. It seems such a fast rapper but I hope that I feel better after leaving the diazepam and taking mexazolam with less regularity? 

I was great with this dose. After moving medication that when everything began. In the country I was there was no mexazolam, so, he told It was the best choice… 

3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I think it’s not a short life but it’s not as long as diazepam.

Mexazolam is metabolised differently to other benzodiazepines.

Half-life

Mexazolam follows a 2 compartment model with a first half life of 1.4h and a second half life of 76h.1

https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB15489

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexazolam

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-62059-2_162

So, it is initially metabolised rapidly (first half-life) within the primary compartment, and then has a long tail (second compartment). As I understand it, we would then need to factor in accumulation with this. So, without me trying to work out the actual mathematics of this, I expect that after several doses, this peak effect will decrease as mexazolam accumulates within the second compartment. (A pharmacologist - we have at least a couple of members - would need to check this).

http://www.turkupetcentre.net/petanalysis/pk_2cm.html

1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Mexazolam is metabolised differently to other benzodiazepines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexazolam

https://link.springer.com/referenceworkentry/10.1007/978-3-030-62059-2_162

So, it is initially metabolised rapidly (first half-life) within the primary compartment, and then has a long tail (second compartment). As I understand it, we would then need to factor in accumulation with this. So, without me trying to work out the actual mathematics in this, I expect that after several doses, this peak effect will decrease as mexazolam accumulates within the second compartment. (A pharmacologist - we have at least a couple of members - would need to check this).

http://www.turkupetcentre.net/petanalysis/pk_2cm.html

Thanks for your searching! I’m totally lost about the tapering of this…

• Like 1