Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cataract surgery Setback or MS

[El...]

Cataract surgery. 
Posted in another group. 
9th December.
I had a cataract surgery right eye  28/11  and I'm 7 years out.

(My succes story are posted here) 

I got a huge allergic reaction to the eye drops "Voltaren ophta Abac", and went to hospital because I was feeling so bad...the allergic reaction was heart racing, inner distress, sneezing, freezing shaking chills, nausea, constipation, dizzines, and my old symptoms like buzzing head, timitus and ear preassure, (adrenalin surges, but they could maybe be from the allergic symptoms) fleared to the roof. 
I took last drop 8 in the morning wednesday and was feeling really bad untill in the evening around 8 but still had extreme buzzing head and heart palpitations. 
Thursday really tired, but little better, the tinnitus, buzzing and earpreassure went a bit down. Friday morning I felt really bad in the morning, but that mostly came from the fact I was severely constipated due to the previous allergic reaction, but in the evening better and The old b symptoms had gone down to a manageable level. 
So I got new eye drops on Wednesday called  "monopex" but I was of course terrified taking them, but I felt quite ok last night and I took one, and almost emitely I got heart racing. 
And my ear preassure, tinnitus and buzzing in head went on again and it's buzzing and ringing at this moment. 
So now I'm really distressed and freaked out, because I'm scheduled for surgery on the left eye on Monday, and I don't know how or what medication that are safe for us people who's been through wd. And it's really incredible that I'm reacting after 7 years ( though I still think I'm only 99.9 % healed. )
Are there any others who's been through cataract surgery and what eye drops did work. 
Thank you for reading.

UPDATE TODAY 20 December. 

Update on my cataract surgery. Since I reacted on the first eyedrops Voltaren ophta Abac,(NSAIDs ) after surgery on my right eye 28/11 I got a new one monopex (steroids) I was surely very scared of trying it due to all my symptoms from the first one and afraid of being so sick that I couldn't go through the surgery on my left eye Monday 11 December. 
But I was also scared for my eye, so I took one drop Thursday and oh my god, high pulse almost emitely and nausea, and I was feeling bad all weekend, the constipation from the first medicine was still there, ringing tinitus, ear preassure, inner trembling, adrenalin surges, anxiety and so on. I almost cancelled the surgery but went through and they tried another medication during the surgery who was nevanac (also a NSAIDS) and I was supposed to use that as eyedrops too. 
Surgery went ok, but around 2-3 hours after surgery all symptoms came back. 
The constipation are horrible, the inner cribling/trembling, pulsating in my ear when I'm trying to rest or sleep, looping thoughts, buzzing brain, timitus and so on, throat tightness. All in all a allergic reaction combined with maybe a setback??
The day after I had appointment with the eye doctor, and he was like oh well since you can't tolerate anything, you just have to go through without any drops. 
He almost sounded disappointed. 
So I went home and the symptoms are still going on. 
So I've been and are stressed up about the eye without drops, and at the same time I got a call from my ear nos throat doctor 1 December about Mr scan I've had of my brain in November, and he told me that there was showed changes in the white matter of the brain, which could indicate a MS ( multiple sclerosis) and that message of course has been a huge stress factor too, so when I'm going through these symptoms I'm super scared that they're not a setback but an indication on MS. 
Im having huge crying spells, tickling skin (inner trembling) and all the other symptoms mentioned. 
And as we know benzo symptoms are very similar to ms symptoms, in one way I think the intruding, looping, ocd thoughts are not so much a symptom of ms. Also it says you get heavy eye pressure which I haven't had. 
I not thrilled about a setback, but the uncertainty of what it is are driving me crazy.
I'll rather just settle with the fact that this is a setback and take it from there, but I'm now almost like when I was in acute, analysing every symptom. 
Mostly the symptoms come when I'm going to bed trying to sleep, and the mornings are worst (just like when we're in wd) I'm always a little better if I've managed to get a little elimination of the stools. 
And the symptoms are worst the nights when I've haven't had any. 
I usually get heavy buzzing in brain right before all the symptoms come. 
I'm so down and so scared that it might be ms attak and not a setback. Really crazy that I actually wish it's a setback, but I feel I can easier handle that, because I know that road, the uncertainty and MS freaks me out. 
Ive read several stories on different group's and forums, that both NSAIDs and steroids can throw people into acute setbacks and some stories/symptoms are quite similar to mine. 
I'm so down, sad and at the same time angry what these medications can do, I was like 7 years out and living my life. 
Link to my previous thread:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/Beatingbenzos/permalink/6799728880124832/

Hello @[El...] - I'm so sorry you're suffering like this after using steroid drops following cataract surgery.  Unfortunately, the central nervous system can remain highly sensitized for some individuals and withdrawal symptoms can be triggered even years after the last benzo dose.  You're also dealing with unanswered questions after an MRI and the doctor mentioned MS.  It sounds like a very stressful time - stress itself can cause an uptick in symptoms. I don't blame you for feeling down, sand and angry about how benzos have affected your life.  It can take a while for an uptick like this to settle down.  No one can predict how long but we know the body and brain have a remarkable ability to heal themselves.  I hope your symptoms settle down soon and that you get som reassurance answers about your MRI results.

On 20/12/2023 at 21:08, [[B...] said:

Hello @[El...] - I'm so sorry you're suffering like this after using steroid drops following cataract surgery.  Unfortunately, the central nervous system can remain highly sensitized for some individuals and withdrawal symptoms can be triggered even years after the last benzo dose.  You're also dealing with unanswered questions after an MRI and the doctor mentioned MS.  It sounds like a very stressful time - stress itself can cause an uptick in symptoms. I don't blame you for feeling down, sand and angry about how benzos have affected your life.  It can take a while for an uptick like this to settle down.  No one can predict how long but we know the body and brain have a remarkable ability to heal themselves.  I hope your symptoms settle down soon and that you get som reassurance answers about your MRI results.

Thank you so much for your reply. I had 3 days where I was almost ok, and the constipation lifted and I kind of thought I was through and ate al kinds of stuff, and yesterday I woke up with nausea, dizziness and ekstreme buzzing in head and pain on my left side of the abdominals and felt constipated again. It got worse during the day and my night was sleepless with pulsating heart, frezing and burning, despair, anxiety burning mouth/throuth, pressure in ear. I do seem to remember that back in time I always got waves when the buzzing in head went up. 

So perhaps those 3 days was a window, I don't know if setbacks are like waves and windows. 

It also seems like my symptoms increase whenever my stomach stops working. The constipation issue started after the first NSAIDs drops I got, and then all got worse after I took one drop of the steroid and then the next surgery on the left eye whit another NSAIDs really made my stomach and symptoms crazy. 

I'm crying a lot and think I have all kinds of other serious sicknesses. 

• 4 months later...
[Re...]
On 27/12/2023 at 05:41, [[E...] said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I had 3 days where I was almost ok, and the constipation lifted and I kind of thought I was through and ate al kinds of stuff, and yesterday I woke up with nausea, dizziness and ekstreme buzzing in head and pain on my left side of the abdominals and felt constipated again. It got worse during the day and my night was sleepless with pulsating heart, frezing and burning, despair, anxiety burning mouth/throuth, pressure in ear. I do seem to remember that back in time I always got waves when the buzzing in head went up. 

So perhaps those 3 days was a window, I don't know if setbacks are like waves and windows. 

It also seems like my symptoms increase whenever my stomach stops working. The constipation issue started after the first NSAIDs drops I got, and then all got worse after I took one drop of the steroid and then the next surgery on the left eye whit another NSAIDs really made my stomach and symptoms crazy. 

I'm crying a lot and think I have all kinds of other serious sicknesses. 

How did things turn out for you? I found your post when I did a search for cataract surgery for a friend who is also in benzo withdrawal. I'm writing because I am curious about the MS diagnosis. I was diagnosed with MS in 2010. Going through benzo withdrawal with a disease that mimics benzo withdrawal is no picnic. I must say, though, that what you described doesn't sound MS-ish to me. Sounds like stress and the effects of steroids on GABA receptors making the CNS go bonkers. I know it's been several months, and I hope you are out of the woods. Would love to hear from you.