Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need help tonight if possible

[no...]

I have been on benzos about 30 years. I started a taper about 6 months ago. I went from 2mg of klonopin down to 7/8 of a mg in about 2 and 1/2 months. I think I pushed myself into protracted withdrawal syndrome. I have been holding at 7/8 of a mg for about 4 months. To try to stabalize.

My symptoms have included headaches, insomnia has passed not really a problem anymore, pretty severe anxiety but not intolerable, blurred vision, some pain in feet and legs but not a big issue, bad tinnitus, some intrusive thoughts, memory problems, trouble thinking clearly at times, de-realization.

Probably my worst symptoms have been depression, lack of motivation and feeling wiped out. Also agitation with some anger outbursts. I lay on the couch and can't feel comfortable inside my body, I feel like this may be related to agitation and possibly related to what you guys call akadesia (spelling) but I do not have the need to pace or move or walk.

Severity comes and goes. I can't afford to lose my job by not being able to get along with people so here is the thing. I am on the fence trying to decide if I should make a cut tomorrow of 1/8 mg. It would take about 3 days for it to leave my system and symptoms to begin. I am off Friday for 6 days, I am thinking that I could make it through the first week of a 2 week acute withdrawal at home away from people at work. I have no idea how bad it will be or if it could initiate worsened post acute withdrawal symptoms. Maybe someone could help me make up my mind on a good decision. 

Hi @[no...]-  In my opinion it would be a mistake to make a 1/8mg cut.  I understand your reasoning but I think you will be inviting more severe symptoms.We typically advise making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 14 day or longer. The cut you are proposing is slightly more than 14%.   It appears to me that you have tapered with cuts that are too big.  I wouldn't characterize your previous cuts as pushing you into protracted withdrawal syndrome but I do think you probably taped with cuts that were too big over too short a period and that the result was severe symptoms that might have been avoided with a more cautious taper.  It seems to me that your system has made it loud and clear that it needs a slower taper with smaller cuts.  

Have you considered using a jeweler's scale to weigh your doses?  This could make it considerably easier for you to make smaller cuts with greater accuracy.  Here's an example of a scale that many members use: https://www.amazon.com/AWS-Portable-Precision-Digital-Milligram/dp/B0012TDNAM?th=1

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @[no...]-  In my opinion it would be a mistake to make a 1/8mg cut.  I understand your reasoning but I think you will be inviting more severe symptoms.We typically advise making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 14 day or longer. The cut you are proposing is slightly more than 14%.   It appears to me that you have tapered with cuts that are too big.  I wouldn't characterize your previous cuts as pushing you into protracted withdrawal syndrome but I do think you probably taped with cuts that were too big over too short a period and that the result was severe symptoms that might have been avoided with a more cautious taper.  It seems to me that your system has made it loud and clear that it needs a slower taper with smaller cuts.  

Have you considered using a jeweler's scale to weigh your doses?  This could make it considerably easier for you to make smaller cuts with greater accuracy.  Here's an example of a scale that many members use: https://www.amazon.com/AWS-Portable-Precision-Digital-Milligram/dp/B0012TDNAM?th=1

I don't see how this could work. According to my unit converter 0.125 which is 1/8 of a mg converts to 0.000125 gram....thats three zeros in front....these scales only have two zeros in front

How have you been making the 1/8 mg cuts? Are you simply taking scored .5 mg tablets and cutting them into 1/4's? You could probably take 1/4 and cut it in half again with a razor w/o too much crumble. I personally think all these tapering methods have some degree of inaccuracy.

I am able to cut my 5 mg valium tabs into 8 pieces altho I am unsure about the active ingredient distribution.

14 hours ago, [[B...] said:

I bought the scale 

17 hours ago, [[A...] said:

How have you been making the 1/8 mg cuts? Are you simply taking scored .5 mg tablets and cutting them into 1/4's? You could probably take 1/4 and cut it in half again with a razor w/o too much crumble. I personally think all these tapering methods have some degree of inaccuracy.

I am able to cut my 5 mg valium tabs into 8 pieces altho I am unsure about the active ingredient distribution.

I have some .5 mg that are scored that I have been breaking in half and cutting in half the halves. However when I asked my doctor to prescribe me 1 mg tabs and the rest as .5 mg tabs (he does not know I am tapering) he said he couldn't because it would throw up some kind of a red flag with the pharmacy. So I tried practicing with cutting a 1mg tab into 1/8 and it didn't go so well