Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Using Seroquel For Ativan Withdrawal

[bl...]

Hi,

I'm a 44 year old woman addicted to Ativan for 4 years now. I take 2mg before bed. A new doctor I'm seeing prescribed Seroquel 25mg to help me withdraw from Ativan. He said it would help me sleep because I've been using the Ativan for sleep. So far, I've tried 12.5mg of Seroquel, 25mg and 50mg and I don't feel it's helping me much. I feel very tired the next day and when I try to sleep only with the Ativan, it's more difficult even if I only used Seroquel for 1 or 2 days. I was told that Seroquel is not addictive in any way... but finally, a pharmacist admitted to me a few days ago that it can be addictive. I was also prescribed Trazodone 50mg if I didn't like the Seroquel. I was again told by my doctor that it isn't addictive at all. What do you think?

I don't know how to taper off Ativan. I've seen so many doctors and naturopathic doctors who don't know much or just want to make money off of me. I've tried melatonin, herbs, aminos but I'm not sure if I used them correctly. I just want to slowly get off the Ativan and sleep well at the same time. Now I will go off Seroquel but should I try Trazodone? Is it true it isn't addictive?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

-Lost and confused

Hello @[bl...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I only have a few moments before I must log off, so cannot reply properly now. But wished to at least welcome you.

Other members will be along soon enough to help you.

2 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[bl...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I only have a few moments before I must log off, so cannot reply properly now. But wished to at least welcome you.

Other members will be along soon enough to help you.

Thank you Colin. Nice to meet you! :giggle:

Hello and welcome to BenzoBuddies, @[bl...].  

Are you certain you are addicted to the Ativan?  Or, might you be physically dependent on it?  I ask because addiction and physical dependence are treated quite differently by healthcare providers.

Addiction is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

Physical dependence is characterized by withdrawal symptoms that may emerge in between doses, when you miss a dose, or when you stop taking the drug.  Physical dependence can develop with regular use of many medications including antidepressants such as trazodone and antipsychotics such as quetiapine (Seroquel). 

Here’s what Surviving Antidepressants has to say about trazodone:

Tips for tapering off trazodone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

Depot i meant

If you use standard you use the same as I do.

I can take them for a few days a week with no problem 

Hi @[ne...]

Actually, that's still clear to me either.

@[bl...] English is not @[ne...]'s first language. His English is usually excellent, so there is some failure in translation here.

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Hello and welcome to BenzoBuddies, @[bl...].  

Are you certain you are addicted to the Ativan?  Or, might you be physically dependent on it?  I ask because addiction and physical dependence are treated quite differently by healthcare providers.

Addiction is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.

Physical dependence is characterized by withdrawal symptoms that may emerge in between doses, when you miss a dose, or when you stop taking the drug.  Physical dependence can develop with regular use of many medications including antidepressants such as trazodone and antipsychotics such as quetiapine (Seroquel). 

Here’s what Surviving Antidepressants has to say about trazodone:

Tips for tapering off trazodone

Hi, well I'm definately physically dependent on it because I've been taking it every night for 4 years. If I don't take it, I don't sleep and I experience withdrawal effects. I've tried lowering the dosage many times and sometimes it works but then it doesn't after a while and I have to go back up to my original dosage. I was told Seroquel or Trazodone could help me lower the dosage of Ativan but now I see that both of these medications can be addictive when I was promised they weren't. 

I started my sleeping pill journey with Imovane initially and was also told that it was not addictive. It was prescribed to me like candy, until one day a doctor told me it was addictive. Then I switched to Ativan because I had developped anxiety with the Imovane. I was told so many lies.  

Hi @[bl...], what many of our members have found is that a slow taper from benzodiazepines works the best, not other drugs that come with their own set of problems.  I wonder if you might try a slow taper before introducing the Trazadone?  

We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, we’ve found a patient led, symptom based taper works best.

This is a difficult process, it requires patience and acceptance but it’s absolutely possible to withdraw from these medications and live happily ever after, but it takes a long time because first there is withdrawal and then there is recovery and both are long and challenging. 

Pamster

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Oh sorry i just used googled translate. Yeah that's what it means :)

No worries.  I’m glad we got it sorted out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

Hi, well I'm definately physically dependent on it because I've been taking it every night for 4 years. If I don't take it, I don't sleep and I experience withdrawal effects. I've tried lowering the dosage many times and sometimes it works but then it doesn't after a while and I have to go back up to my original dosage. I was told Seroquel or Trazodone could help me lower the dosage of Ativan but now I see that both of these medications can be addictive when I was promised they weren't. 

What you are describing is physical dependence, not addiction @[bl...].  I encourage you to use the former term when discussing your situation with healthcare professionals so you’ll receive proper treatment (e.g. a gradual, symptom-based taper) instead of being cut off from your medication cold turkey, forced into a too rapid taper, and/or sent to a rehab/detox center. 

To reiterate, quetiapine (Seroquel) and trazodone are not addictive per se. However, they both can cause physical dependence.  Dependence occurs when the body adapts to the drug being in the system.  At this point, the body needs the drug to maintain homeostasis (stay in balance). If the drug is reduced or stopped, this balance is perturbed and the body experiences withdrawal.

22 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hi @[bl...], what many of our members have found is that a slow taper from benzodiazepines works the best, not other drugs that come with their own set of problems.  I wonder if you might try a slow taper before introducing the Trazadone?  

We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, we’ve found a patient led, symptom based taper works best.

This is a difficult process, it requires patience and acceptance but it’s absolutely possible to withdraw from these medications and live happily ever after, but it takes a long time because first there is withdrawal and then there is recovery and both are long and challenging. 

Pamster

Hi Pamster,

I tried a slow taper, going from 2mg to 1.75mg to 1.5mg but then I would always go back up either because I couldn't sleep anymore or a stressful event happened and I had major anxiety. This is why I was happy about trying Seroquel because of it's sedative effects but I think combined with Ativan, it also increases the potential for physical dependency.

I was wondering if you have any herbs or other natural supplements to recommend that can help with the taper? I know herbs like Valerian, Lemon Balm and Chamomille have benzo-like effects but are they safe when taken with benzos? How about high doses of melatonin? Magnesium? Aminos? 

Any good, trustworthy online naturopathic doctors to recommend?

Thanks!

It sounds like cutting out a quarter mg was too much for you, hopefully next time you’ll go a bit slower, how long did you wait between reductions?

I don’t have experience with supplements but from reading what members have tried, I can say that caution is advised.  Our central nervous system is extremely sensitive during this process and we don’t always react well, also, what works for one, may not work or even harm another.  Whatever you try, start low and only add one at a time.

You might want to check out the Alternative Therapies group, there is a lot of information, just click join and you can post your questions. Alternative Therapies