Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper to zero? Final Jump Question

[Fi...]

My taper has been smooth so far, but I'm worried about the final jump.

I'm eager to be done, but it seems like getting impatient is what gets people in trouble.

As I taper the last 1 mg I'm shifting form 03mg/day, to .02, and for the final half milligram was gonna do .01/day.

Is there any reason NOT to reduce at .01 till jumping?  Any advantage to jumping earlier?

If you’ve had a fairly uneventful taper, I predict this last little bit will be the same, at least I hope so.  Try not to anticipate the worst, even that can trigger anxiety and you know what happens when we get anxious.  

How often are you reducing, will going to .01 add a lot of time to your taper? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Glad your first is going smooth. I'm on my first taper as well ( started at 3mg alprazolam once a day for a bit more than a month )  I'm halfway there on at 1.5mg 

I wouldn’t drag this on too long if your taper has been fairly smooth.  Listening to your body’s cues is the way to do this, not looking at others experience.  Yes, we use others to help inform us but your journey is your own and if you’ve not had the same as others here, I don’t expect that to change.  

On 16/12/2023 at 19:32, [[P...] said:

If you’ve had a fairly uneventful taper, I predict this last little bit will be the same, at least I hope so.  Try not to anticipate the worst, even that can trigger anxiety and you know what happens when we get anxious.  

Have you read Jack Dobson's book on how he handled his own personal reduction under 1mg?

11 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Have you read Jack Dobson's book on how he handled his own personal reduction under 1mg?

Haven’t…could u share the general idea?  I will be at 1mg Valium in a month or so.  🙏🙏

@[Kh...] Below is a description of the approach used by Hobson-DuPont as well as a link to his memoir. There are easier, less problematic ways to taper 1mg of diazepam than the one he devised back in 2006.  For example, in the US, diazepam is available as a 1mg/1mL oral solution.  Many members either use this liquid directly or dilute it with water or milk to achieve a lower concentration (e.g. 0.1mg/mL). Using the 1mg/mL solution and a 1mL or 0.5mL syringe with graduation marks every 0.01ml, it is possible to measure doses as low as 0.01mg of diazepam.  

Jack Hobson-DuPont (2006): I was two months from completing the taper. So I calculated the entire quantity of diazepam I would consume over the course of those sixty days.  I then had my pharmacy compound that amount of diazepam and put it into a liquid suspension where 1 milliliter (ml) of liquid equaled the amount of diazepam in 1 mg tablet. This liquid came in a bottle and I also got a bottle of just the plain suspension medium, i.e. the liquid without any diazepam in it.

Using an oral syringe, I would remove from the medicine bottle 1 ml.  from the liquid containing diazepam and ingest it by mouth.  Then I put 1 ml.of the plain suspension liquid back in that bottle so it constantly had the same total amount of liquid in it. In this way, the amount of diazepam was constantly being diluted.  I was making a ‘cut’ with each and every dose I took.  For example, the first day of taking the liquid, I ingested 1mg of diazepam.  One the second day, because I had diluted the mixture when I replaced the liquid in the bottle, the dose of one ml only contained 0.9667mg of diazepam.  On the following day, one ml of liquid contained 0.9344 mg of diazepam, and so on.

The amount by which a decrease was made got smaller and smaller all the time, and each day’s ‘cut’ represented a continually smaller percentage of the previous dose. The final cut of a mere 1/5000th of a milligram of diazepam, to a final dose of 0.1353 mg of diazepam.

The Benzo Book (2006), pp. 165-166

On 16/12/2023 at 19:32, [[P...] said:

Ditto to what Pam said above👆. I predict you will be fine. I look forward to your success story one day.

6 hours ago, [[L...] said:

@[Kh...] Below is a description of the approach used by Hobson-DuPont as well as a link to his memoir. There are easier, less problematic ways to taper 1mg of diazepam than the one he devised back in 2006.  For example, in the US, diazepam is available as a 1mg/1mL oral solution.  Many members either use this liquid directly or dilute it with water or milk to achieve a lower concentration (e.g. 0.1mg/mL). Using the 1mg/mL solution and a 1mL or 0.5mL syringe with graduation marks every 0.01ml, it is possible to measure doses as low as 0.01mg of diazepam.  

Got it thanks - if and when I get to .5 mg V I am jumping.  Not gonna try and get any lower than that.  I am in Asia and liquid Diazepam not available.  I have been using the milk dilution  successfully when getting to fractional doses   

• Like 1