Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Full Body Squeezing - what is actually happening to the body?

[...]

Hi All

For the last 5 months I have been in a horrific wave (I'm hoping it's my 'final surge' @[ 4...]) and one of the worst symptoms is a full body squeeze that comes and goes and feels like I'm being crushed.

I know this is a very common benzo withdrawal symptom (from searching other posts here) but does anyone know what's actually happening to the body/what the body is doing when this happens?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

L

• Like 1

Hello @[...] and welcome to the forum from me!

I cannot give you the cause of this withdrawal symptom, but I can share that I did have it and experienced a strong wave of it right before my complete healing, recovery. It felt like my insides were being squeezed. I had a plethora of tests to rule out others causes, but all were negative. I continue to believe it’s due to the muscles not being able to rely naturally, without chemical intervention. Benzos are extremely good muscle relaxers and it takes time for them to learn to relax naturally. Once healed, I never experienced this again.

• Like 6

Hi @[...] I experienced this A LOT the first time I came off benzos. The second time I did not - and there was one main difference between the two times I came off. 

Each time I ate high carb/high sugar meals, this INTENSE squeezing would come back especially in the abdomen and throat. Horrible feeling. I finally changed to a plant based fruit/veg and fish only diet. I COMPLETELY cut out refined sugar, soda, coffee, pasta, bread - and within three weeks the squeezing stopped. Takes a lot of discipline but changed my recovery trajectory completely.

• Like 3

Hi Pianogirl thank you so much for your post and giving me some hope to cling on to that this might mean I am close to the end too.

Hi Iamtheoriginalaudi girl thank you so much for your post too.  My diet is already very clean / similar to yours , the only difference I can see is that I still eat chicken (but not red meat), maybe I should try cutting out the chicken too. 

• 1 month later...
On 16/12/2023 at 13:18, [[p...] said:

I cannot give you the cause of this withdrawal symptom, but I can share that I did have it and experienced a strong wave of it right before my complete healing, recovery. It felt like my insides were being squeezed. I had a plethora of tests to rule out others causes, but all were negative. I continue to believe it’s due to the muscles not being able to rely naturally, without chemical intervention. Benzos are extremely good muscle relaxers and it takes time for them to learn to relax naturally. Once healed, I never experienced this again.

Hi Pianogirl,

i currently have the squeezing/jerking on my torso with tightness. Awful and painful.

May I ask how long did this symptom last for you?
How long did your overall recovery take?

I see many people have this symptom persisting far out which is quite discouraging 😞.

Thank you 🙏

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 16:18, [[p...] said:

@[pi...], hello) This is so encouraging! Thank you for sharing. I'm also the one who really needs it and especially the beautiful phrase: "Once healed, I never experienced this again." Muscle issues are so endlessly tiresome(

I'd also like to ask the same question as @[Gi...]. When did your last uptick of muscle issues happen? I know we're all different and yet. 🙏🏻

Edited by [...]

On 16/12/2023 at 05:18, [[p...] said:

That's it, you've both described it perfectly! That's what's Been happening to me! Like my insides in and out are being squeezed! 

I'm so sorry your going thru this lola. It's a tough one, hard to understand until I read this. But I'm still tapering but it's a tiny dose, that's probably why! 

Thank u pianogirl.

Edited by [ns...]
Additions and corrections

Can anyone relate to having this squeezing , but the pain feels like clamps of pressure on certain areas along with a rushing, prickling current of vibration all happening at once? Although this is one symptom it feels like 3 or more wrapped up in it. Also feels like my blood vessels or nerves are tight and squeezing too

im starting to freak out a little bit thinking mine is unique with the inner vibration and vice grip squeezing, maybe it is what you all feel but this hurts. I hate it.

i just want to know I don’t have a weird damn disease. 

Edited by [wi...]

15 minutes ago, [[w...] said:

Can anyone relate to having this squeezing , but the pain feels like clamps of pressure on certain areas along with a rushing, prickling current of vibration all happening at once? Although this is one symptom it feels like 3 or more wrapped up in it. Also feels like my blood vessels or nerves are tight and squeezing too

im starting to freak out a little bit thinking mine is unique with the inner vibration and vice grip squeezing, maybe it is what you all feel but this hurts. I hate it.

Hi widesky, I know it's withdrawal,  those who've responded with they're symptoms described it as squeezing. I thought it was the best description so far. It's brutal! From the neck down, but my head is stinging like electrical storm! My face and body feels like bees stinging me. My mouth tongue and throat are numb and thick,  my throat is closing, my ribs feels like something is squeezing me and there going to break. My arms and legs the same, I'm jerking, spasming, when does this stop! Feelsike acid in my veins. This and more and I had to read ashton to make sure it was withdrawal symptoms.  Bit the numb tongue isn't in there. But others here have described the same. 

It's withdrawal,  I know it but it's the hardest ever. You described a chemical storm, that's also a great description of some of this.

Om so sorry, I feel your pain. If I keep busy it's not as bad but it's a tough one to distract from. It seems everything at once is hitting me but the barometric pressure is low again! I have to attribute some of this to that but I'm also either allergic to the benzo or have a paradoxical reaction so I want to jump! Guess I gave to take it slow at put up with this a little longer. At least as long as I can!

I hope your symptoms lesson, I'm so sorry your feeling this.

I'll keep u in my thoughts widesky, sending  love your way

Sn

❤️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [[w...] said:

@[wi...], i think we, who are "lucky" to have pains, pressure etc as the wd symptoms, feel about the same. I also experience all kinds of pain, squeezing, pressure, vibrations and what not( everywhere. I even can't describe what exactly tortures me. I'm so tired of it all that can't be afraid anymore. I just know it happens in our condition and is promised to be gone... And i do hope and believe it's true.

You're definitely not alone here. We just need to go through it - kind of tough test.

15 hours ago, [[w...] said:

Yep. To me it’s like back of head and neck pressure and it sort of goes down and sometimes squeezes my throat, chest deep inside and stomach deep inside too when it’s really bad. Feels like it’s my vagus nerve or something! Today having it bad. Head squeezing and prickly and nerve pains. What a delight. It doesn’t come with panic or vibrations. Just like this electric pressure. Veeeeeery disturbing and distracting. Tried meditating, walking, lying down. No change so waiting it out is the way to go as always. So today’s specialty is the back of neck/head in a vice.

At one point the sensations change into a sort of burning in the same spots but again deep in body, again, it feels like my vagus nerve burning. So odd. For me it got way worse with time :(

Edited by [Wi...]
  • Like 2

Yes me too...17 months.  Cant stand it anymore.  Im reading all the above, makes me cry.  I cant take the sqeezing anymore.  My right side rib area down into the gut.  Then the heavy echo of my heartbeat through out.  Lord have mercy on us this is just inhumane. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/12/2023 at 13:18, [[p...] said:

Hi Pianogirl, may I please ask if your abdomen used to squeeze?

Thank you for your response, it would be truly valuable as it would give me hope.

🙏💕

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey will yeah I feel all this stuff still . I wonder what causes it it's very scary and hurts . Hope this ends forever .