Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Diazepam help

[ra...]

Was running a cycle of anabolic steroids making sleep impossible.

I used xanax for around 2 weeks (1 tab, unsure of dosage) then switched to diazepam using at night only but sometimes up to 30mg for around 4 weeks.

I came off my AAS cycle and valium at the same time and experienced extreme panic attacks and very high blood pressure.

I have now been back on the diazepam for around a week (5mg) when I feel the onset of a panic attack and 10-15mg at night to sleep. 

I would like to start trying to taper off of these before it becomes a serious issue. I am awaiting a full blood panel report but unsure how to proceed. Almost every day the panic attacks and anxiety are debilitating. This will probably be due to my hormones restoring from the cycle. I am not sure how much the benzos are helping but feel terrified to come off and completely unsure how to do so safely.

Doctors are completely useless so asking here if anyone has any advice?

Thank you in advance 

Hello @[ra...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies!

Steroids can cause insomnia. We’re you taking anabolic steroids under the care of your doctor?  There are medical uses for these drugs but there are also serious side effects from taking them for other purposes.

It is good you are getting a blood panel to rule out other issues that could be going on, 

How long have you been off the steroids? They can remain in your system for a period of time causing some of the issues you are experiencing.

I think you are wise wanting to avoid long term use of benzos, there is a danger of dependency. How long have you taken benzos totally, has it been about 5 weeks? Short term use can facilitate a faster taper, however your system still appears to be highly sensitized due to the steroids. 

We normally suggest that people stabilize on a steady dose of the benzo and the taper. For longer users we suggest reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.

We will be happy to help you with a plan and support you through the process. You may very well be able to taper somewhat quicker due to the short time use,  the longer you stay on diazepam, the stronger the propensity for dependency.  

Thanks for your quick response and offer of help :)

No I was not using anabolic steroids under doctor/medical supervision. Its very common in bodybuilding/powerlifting but not something I will be doing again as the mental (and potentially physical) side effects are not worth it. The steroids I was using were very strong and potent and have greatly impacted my hormones which is potentially the route cause of the anxiety (I had awful anxiety coming on/off the contraceptive pill too - I assume due to hormonal changes)

I have been off the steroids now just over a week, but my hormones will potentially take months to stabilise and my period to return etc.

Using benzos 6-7 weeks now but struggling to find a balance with when/how much to take. I am currently dosing 5mg if/when I feel the onset of a panic attack and 5-10mg at night to help with sleep. 

I think having the full blood panel report will help put my mind at ease in regards to if I have a physical or psychological issue. The panic attacks have been bad enough I've ended up at the ER but I can't be sure there's not organ damage or something none hormonal until I've received the blood work results.

Currently just in a state of overthinking absolutely everything and have diagnosed myself with about 50 different things in the space of a week! Knowing there is support available when I'm in a position to start tapering off makes me feel safe so thank you.

Hello again @[ra...],

Thanks for the reply and being up front with your situation in terms of the use of steroids. Yes, I know they are used sometimes for the purpose of bulking up muscles. However, they are not without risks as you know. It’s very good to to hear that you no longer will use them. 

It would be my opinion that you are still feeling the effects of the steroids and stopping them. Many members have been negatively affected by one off steroid prescriptions and injections. Steroids do disrupt the HPA axis. They can also remain in your system for a few weeks. Being off just one week points to the steroid being a large contributor to your issues of panic and anxiety. I have had steroid injections for a bad shoulder and I am lucky to not have severe issues, just a bit of insomnia and flushing.

Many of us have self diagnosed in withdrawal due to the inexplicable symptoms. This is pretty common. If it were me, I would wait for the blood test results and then work on a sensible taper plan. It is very possible you have reached dependency to the benzo after 6-7 weeks, it happened to me. Let us know when you are ready and we’ll provide information for you, as well as support.