Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

For those who went through withdrawal have you experienced or heard These types of symptoms?

[Jo...]

Hi, I’ve been off of k for two months now. Through that time going through withdrawal I have been reading success stories and reading about people going through withdrawal. And people have listed out a whole slew of symptoms. But I haven’t heard anybody mention the weird symptoms I’m going through.

1. I know for sure that I butchered the nerves on the left side of my body. But, there are certain days where my left hand will turn red. I feel like it is an indication of how inflamed my the left side of my body is. 

2. I have severe muscle tension in my legs and upper back. I have noticed that there is this weird swelling on my upper back. I have tried to put heat and cold on it but it won’t go down for some reason. 

3. This one might sound made up. But, I have noticed even when I was tapering I would enter different rooms of my house  my muscles will tense up almost as if my brain was giving the wrong signals to my body. I have this really bad in the kitchen for some reason specifically near the stove. It’s like my body is anxious But emotionally I feel fine.🥲

Edited by [Jo...]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @[he...],I have noticed that my systems the past couple of days have increased in intensity. But, the anxiety isn’t there I have been very oddly calm during the process. I do believe that the whether might be making my symptoms worse. Also, for the systems I listed on top I just want to know if those are normal.

• Like 1

Hi @[Jo...]. I have not had those particular symptoms, but they sound similar to symptoms many others have had, but our unique sets of symptoms can be very strange indeed. I would not be too concerned about these things as concerning as they seem, as BIND (Benzodiazepine-Induced Neurological Dysfunction) can cause the body to manifest all kinds of wacky symptoms as it heals. Anytime I have something wacky pop up, I just assume it's BIND. If it persists and is very concerning, it's probably worth seeing a professional just to make sure, but if it is BIND, they will likely not recognize it as such.

Two months off isn't a long time. These things will likely start to ease slightly but could go back and forth for awhile before getting better. If you're concerned, I would get it checked out, but just know the wackier the symptom, the more likely BIND is the culprit and it's just a function of your body healing.

• Like 2

Hi @[he...] and @[Jo...], I don't remember, having read it here on BB before, but there is some time when it is considered ok to reinstate but darned if I remember how much??

When I tapered too much too fast, I was reinstated, this is before I got with BB.  My doctor recommended I go back to my 1 mg, which I was weaned off .25 per month til I was down to 1 quarter tablet of the original C.  I had the left side of my body go completely numb for 3 days.  I don't want to scare you Joshua so please know I was on the drug 35 years, and I am 71 this month.

I'm just wanting to chime in because I know @hereforhelp knows a good deal more than I do on the reinstating thing, if that's a healthy possibility, or maybe not, oregonlady, :hug:

@[or...], it's generally accepted in the groups that you have a few weeks max to reinstate, and after that, it's no longer worth it. Even within that timeframe, there is no guarantee it will help. If your sxs are manageable, and even if not, if it were me, I would continue pressing forward. Trying to reinstate would be jumping back into a deep hole. It sounds like you can probably manage these, especially if your anxiety is zero now. I believe you'd risk that coming back if you threw a benzo in the mix again.

Hey, congrats on becoming a moderator, OL! I didn't realize that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, [[h...] said:

@[or...], it's generally accepted in the groups that you have a few weeks max to reinstate, and after that, it's no longer worth it. Even within that timeframe, there is no guarantee it will help. If your sxs are manageable, and even if not, if it were me, I would continue pressing forward. Trying to reinstate would be jumping back into a deep hole. It sounds like you can probably manage these, especially if your anxiety is zero now. I believe you'd risk that coming back if you threw a benzo in the mix again.

Hey, congrats on becoming a moderator, OL! I didn't realize that.

Ok @hereforhelp, thanks for the info.  I know I've experienced not a reinstatement per say, but what others told me was "rescue" doses.  I only did it 3 times in about the same amount of months, but found I felt awful for at least a couple of days.  Now I proved it to myself, rescue doses don't work for me.  I'm finding I can actually make it through those times of (insomnia was my reason).  In my case, nothing new for me, I had to learn the hard way.

Same with the reinstatement from a Cold Turkey, and then again years later with a too fast of a taper.  I really agree with your take on not reinstating because I finally learned I could get through the wd sxs without doing that :)  It's working that way for me now, although my sxs aren't near as bad as some, but their stories are encouraging for me no matter how bad it might get, oregonlady :balloon:

• Like 2

On 12/12/2023 at 05:33, [[J...] said:

Hi, I’ve been off of k for two months now. Through that time going through withdrawal I have been reading success stories and reading about people going through withdrawal. And people have listed out a whole slew of symptoms. But I haven’t heard anybody mention the weird symptoms I’m going through.

1. I know for sure that I butchered the nerves on the left side of my body. But, there are certain days where my left hand will turn red. I feel like it is an indication of how inflamed my the left side of my body is. 

2. I have severe muscle tension in my legs and upper back. I have noticed that there is this weird swelling on my upper back. I have tried to put heat and cold on it but it won’t go down for some reason. 

3. This one might sound made up. But, I have noticed even when I was tapering I would enter different rooms of my house  my muscles will tense up almost as if my brain was giving the wrong signals to my body. I have this really bad in the kitchen for some reason specifically near the stove. It’s like my body is anxious But emotionally I feel fine.🥲

Do you know much about anti-inflammatory foods @[Jo...] or if mom is cooking for you, maybe she does.  It could help, and you do need good nutrition, enough water, drink it when you are thirsty should be enough, and sounds you get exercise with all you are able to do with 2 jobs was it?  I have helped myself a lot, again I don't have the bad sxs you do, but I so believe in good nutrition and exercise, even just walks if we can manage it, oregonlady :hug:

Hey @[Jo...],

I have been off Klonopin for a little over 4 months after 20 years of use.  It is a weird drug.  I had super strange effects while I was on it, during my taper and as I've gone through the first part of WD.  A lot of my physical symptoms effected the left side of my body, too.  Numbness, tingling, pain, from my head to my arm and all the way down to my feet.  It is getting better as time moves on.  I have had swelling and pain in the middle of my upper back, between my shoulder blades.  Sometimes cold would help me though.  I think it was general, systemic inflammation.  It is also gone now, too.

On 12/12/2023 at 07:33, [[J...] said:

as if my brain was giving the wrong signals to my body.

I think this is exactly what is happening.  I have noticed this a lot.  Like I can't figure out what I need sometimes.  For me, I often have trouble figuring out if I'm hungry or not.  This is also starting to get better though.  It isn't all the time anymore.  

I think this is all normal for WD but I know it sucks.  Hang in there!

• Love 1

Hey @[Bu...], you are the first person on here that has the exact same problem as I do. Swelling and pain in the middle of my upper back.🤕 The only time I have heard people have the same problem were people on Reddit that took klonopin.

For me, I only took k for about 6 months then I started getting weird side effects from it so I had to get off of it. But, didn’t know I was tapering too fast at the time. My tapering went like this 3mg, 2mg, 1mg, 0.5, 0.25 then off. I had know Idea! And It took me several months to do this to. I could have reinstated and slowed down but, my parents wouldn’t let me do it. And they thought I was becoming a drug addict so I stayed on 0.25 until I jumped off. I am know three months off and my symptoms have gotten slightly worse.

• Love 1
  • Sad 1

It is wonderful to know someone truly can relate to our pain, and struggles @[Jo...] Meeting others here is really what has made my progress possible, knowing other's really get what I am talking about, oregonlady:hug:

2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Thank you, @[or...], I have been planning on eating anti inflammatory foods and workout a little. 

Well easy does it as you again listen to your body, I would start with "what are you eating".  You have a lot on your plate, so to speak, but some good nutrition of your choice, getting what you need to fuel your body in order to maybe make your wd sxs more bearable :classic_love:

If I am understanding correctly, which my brain is NOT at 100% by far, but you are totally off the drug.  If so, you could get a lot of info from the Long Haulers about what happens when you "jump off" the benzo, and how they are managing as well.  I'll post a link to the group you might want to check out, oregonlady hope and encouragement coming your way @[Jo...] :)

Long-haulers Group

Edited by [or...]
good grief, my brain is NOT at 100%, I did not mean to say that :(

I have a thread with stuff that might help with inflammation and what you're dealing with, imo its important do adress this as you can, of course its only up to you to decide, "work with a doctor " measure your electrolites and start always with low doses, for example, pioglitazone, Theobromine (from cocoa),  alfa lipoic, vitamin D( start Very low), acetyl l carnitine, boron (triple boron from source naturals Just dont over do It, measure your b6, b12, because pioglitazone mess with b6, use p5p instead of the possibily toxic one 

Its hard when you're sensitive to everything, pioglitazone is pretty mild, im a severe case, hád no issues with It, should have started earlier and life is ruinned from pain, maybe that helps you out 

That's it

Edited by [De...]

7 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Hey @[Bu...], you are the first person on here that has the exact same problem as I do. Swelling and pain in the middle of my upper back.🤕 The only time I have heard people have the same problem were people on Reddit that took klonopin.

For me, I only took k for about 6 months then I started getting weird side effects from it so I had to get off of it. But, didn’t know I was tapering too fast at the time. My tapering went like this 3mg, 2mg, 1mg, 0.5, 0.25 then off. I had know Idea! And It took me several months to do this to. I could have reinstated and slowed down but, my parents wouldn’t let me do it. And they thought I was becoming a drug addict so I stayed on 0.25 until I jumped off. I am know three months off and my symptoms have gotten slightly worse.

@[Jo...],

You're the first person I've ever come across with the same stuff, too.  Especially the swelling in the upper back.  Although, I don't think I ever mentioned that specifically before, just chalked it up to klonopin weirdness.  I also never checked Reddit, though.

I did a pretty poor taper, too.  I didn't find this site until I was off.  I think it made it harder than it would otherwise have been, but we'll get through it.   My symptoms really flaired up after I jumped, too.  But they are starting to improve.  There is every reason to think your's will, too and no reason to think that they won't.  Please tell your parents that.  Hopefully it will give them some peace and comfort to know that you are in good company here and that you are not an exception.  :)

I know several folks mentioned anti-inflammatory foods, which I personally found to be helpful.  Lots of water, salmon, blueberries, walnuts, brown rice were really helpful in particular for me.  I looked up a list of foods and started experimenting very slowly, one at a time to see what helped, what didn't seem to matter and what (on the rare occasion) made something worse.  

Please let me know if there is any other way I can help.

Blessings!

I have the third one that you have listed. I can be walking and then all of a sudden I feel as if my muscles in my legs are locking and I can barely walk. I also become extremely short of breath when this happen. I am still tapering Lorazepam but I have been holding for a while because my symptoms are unbearable. The shortness of breath is my biggest problem. It seems the lower I get in my taper the worse it gets. I am done holding and waiting. I am going to try and cross over to valium.

Is the swelling on your upper back between your shoulder blades? If so that could be a problem with your cortisol being too high.  Maybe make an appt. with your Dr. to get that checked.

For me it’s the right side of my body. This went away and I felt great for a long time. Then I had an antibiotic setback. Not the right side of my body is numb feeling again. I also get leg pain and weekends. Migraines almost daily now, I can wait for this to be over. 

I definitely appreciate @[Bu...], I just got back from vacation yesterday. Sorry for not responding sooner. I started anti-inflammatory diet a couple of weeks back but I noticed that my symptoms got worst after 3 days doing it. Im not really sure what happened but I over heard someone saying that there is natural yeast inside the body called candida. And if you just start eating healthy abruptly you’ll feel worse. Maybe that’s what happened? I’ll try to ease into though.

@[Jo...],

No worries, I hope you had a good vacation.  I think that right now just about any change we make, even a good one, has the potential to cause a problem because our systems are so sensitive.  I think easing into any change is a great idea.  Let us know how things go.

Hey @[Pa...], I am sorry to hear that you had a setback. I have seen many people have setbacks when it comes to probiotics and antibiotics. What ever chemicals that in those two do not agree with us at all.

Edited by [Jo...]

Hi @[Sc...], I read some of your past replies talking about antioxidants supplements and I was just wondering if you know about vitamin b complex supplements. Because I was taking multiple supplements before I jumped of k and over time I decided to stop taking all of them. I thought they were making things worse. Out of all the supplements I was taking at the time I was very careful taking vitamins b.

Because I read something that said vitamin does something to the gaba receptors. But, I am not sure if that’s true? And is it ok to take vitamin b complex with hesperidin?

Hey @[De...], thanks for the advice on the supplements. I bought a vitamin d last month. I took it one time, I believe it kinda made things worse. I do remember that I got a larger dose of vitamin d rather the smaller one. And I honestly felt like it set me back a little bit. I got it because I have low vitamin d and I thought it would help relieve some of my muscle tension. 

Now, for the past 5 days I don’t know if I got hit by another wave or another setback due to me using a supplement called Hesperidin. Do you happen to know about this supplement by any chance?

@[Jo...]Vitamin D does cause setbacks when starting, i started with Very low doses, like a drop into the glass of water, and took sips, 10 months off i was, adjusted this way 

Hisperidin i took it paired with other as a drug called Daflon, setted me back a little nothing major, would be worst If i wansnt a year plus off 

Edited by [De...]