Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I think propranolol made my tinnitus and hyperacusis worse. My hearing is messed up too. I regret taking this ear poison.

[sc...]

I’m freaking out. Does anyone know how to taper off propranolol? I stupidly took it when I was panicking from getting hyperacusis from an mri and I think it made my ears worse. My t is way louder, my h got worse And my hearing is messed up. I think I might have hearing loss but I hope I’m went. People have reported hearing issues with this med.

I STUPIDLY didn’t research ear effects bc I didn’t want to doomscroll and tell myself out of anxiety relief but I should have googled it. What was I thinking?!?! I usually look into stuff bc I have ocd in paranoid but I wanted relief asap and I didn’t go with my gut. 

If anyone knows how to taper off slowly from 20-40 mg/day, I would very much be grateful for your help. 

Edited by [sc...]

Please don't be so hard on yourself @[sc...].  I know it's incredibly frustrating.  But I think it's really important to be kind to ourselves, especially during benzo withdrawal.  

I think it's really impossible to know why your tinnitus got more intense.  You're in benzo withdrawal and that alone can lead to tinnitus - it's a very common symptom.  We can't really know whether propranolol made it worse; benzo withdrawal symptoms can become more intense with no apparent cause.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Please don't be so hard on yourself @[sc...].  I know it's incredibly frustrating.  But I think it's really important to be kind to ourselves, especially during benzo withdrawal.  

I think it's really impossible to know why your tinnitus got more intense.  You're in benzo withdrawal and that alone can lead to tinnitus - it's a very common symptom.  We can't really know whether propranolol made it worse; benzo withdrawal symptoms can become more intense with no apparent cause.

Ty so much, I appreciate your kindness. I don’t understand why I took it blindly and when I was cautioned by people with ear issues bc they can be ototoxic. It’s out of character, I usually stand my ground/ask questions and don’t budge bc I have health anxiety. I was in bad state bc of my stupid decision to CT my other meds and rolled over for quick relief. Didn’t even research after I started taking them. Like I put blinders on or something. 

Edited by [sc...]

Could have taken 10 seconds to google, then possibly started tapering before effects set in. You’re right, no telling what made it worse. Assuming a combo of things. Ears feel like someone stripped the nerves and is messing with them. Had this before, it went away, now it is back. The h never went away, it only got worse. T seems to fluctuate. I just hope I can get to a functional level. I’m essentially roombound and the isolation is making me lose it along with the symptoms. It snowballed so bad. I’m scared and I don’t know what to do. 

I shouldn't have focused solely on tinnitus - hyperacusis is also a common benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I had both. 

I think I saw that you CTd Xanax and Zoloft - around 4 months ago?  That could in itself set you up for rough withdrawal symptoms.

Please remember, intense fear, anxiety and rumination on regret are all very common in withdrawal too.  I understand you're very discouraged but I hope you'll remind yourself that you're likely in the thick of the worst phase of withdrawal. Your body & brain are working hard to heal and the symptoms you're experiencing are signs of that work taking place.  Also, please remember to lighten up with self criticism and try to repeat kind phrases to yourself:  I am doing the best I can.  I will not feel this way forever.  I am safe. I am healing. I am okay.

• Like 1

I have intense rumination and regret. None of those thoughts lead anywhere positive and I sincerely can’t bear any more. Don’t know what to attribute to depression , grief , loss , meds. 

• Like 1

It’s going to get better @[sc...] I assure you. These meds cause lots of unexplained problems and symptoms. I know it’s scary because tinnitus and hyperacusis are so difficult to ignore, especially together, but I believe that you’re in the healing phase. Keep up with people in this community. No I do t believe you have permanent symptoms. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [[T...] said:

I have intense rumination and regret. None of those thoughts lead anywhere positive and I sincerely can’t bear any more. Don’t know what to attribute to depression , grief , loss , meds. 

I am with you Tony - look back at all the decisions I have made throughout the years questioning them all.   Wondering if I am a bad person and this is punishment etc..... :( 

Even at my Benzo usage which seems so minor in retrospect and yet here I am.   Even the decision to cross to valium seems like a bad one as the WD -  cuz its a muscle relaxer - is making me tight as a ball neck and back especially   ugh

I have what I would call intense tinnitus, had foar most of the last 8 years.  I am hoping with getting off the benzo, it will be gone but if not, I have learned how to cope with it and barely think about it even though it is loud and relentless at times if I'm paying attention to it.

I live alone so I can't say if it's easier to deal with around a family, but I handle mine just my turning on a little app on my phone.  I've grown accustomed to the app and I also turn it on at bedtime, adjust the volume in sync with how loud my tinnitus is.  I'm almost 9 months into my taper and this is the whole truth and nothing but the truth, my T is better.  Once in awhile I have no T at all when I lay down at night, and I don't hear it at all during the day when I'm around people or sitting and listening to a speaker for example.

There's no way I used to be able to sit in a room without going crazy with the T.  Mine has a steady, never stop ringing, it just gets less at times, and my app is my backup at home.  I did hear a long time ago from people on a tinnitus forum that a person can adapt to Tinnitus, and I think it's mainly when I stop dwelling on it and listening for it, it stopped interferring with my life.  I do believe the benzo (C) caused mine, I don't have any injury to my ear-drums etc.

I've been reading about the Propranolol because it's being recommended to me because I have also developed and Essential Tremor, my head shakes so bad I sometime literally won't go out in public. I've held off so far as I don't want anything interrupting my taper, anything that effects the CNS, Receptors, so I haven't read enough yet.  I like what @[Br...] had to say about the so many people that get tinnitus as a wd sxs from a benzo.  I myself wouldn't be too sure it was the propranolol either, sending hope and encouragement, oregonlady :hug:PS the app is called Chrome Doze if anyone is interested.  There are several apps though for T sufferers ;)

23 hours ago, [[S...] said:

It’s going to get better @[sc...] I assure you. These meds cause lots of unexplained problems and symptoms. I know it’s scary because tinnitus and hyperacusis are so difficult to ignore, especially together, but I believe that you’re in the healing phase. Keep up with people in this community. No I do t believe you have permanent symptoms. 

I sure can't agree more with this SS, I believe it too and have never lost hope that there is healing for all of us.  That hope was given to me here, and nowhere else did I find it :) oregonlady :hug:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did it get a little better now? I have had insomnia and tinnitus for around 12 years.  Insomnia makes it worse sometimes.  Plus it is hard to sleep with the noise sometimes.  A vicious cycle indeed. I've already started to check hearing aid store and consider getting my first pair of hearing aids. I guess there is no way around it, right?

Edited by [el...]