Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dehydration-frequent urination, poor water absorption, etc

[dp...]

Has anyone else dealt with frequent dehydration, extreme thirst, frequent urination?

It's like the water I drink doesn't get absorbed right,.. goes right through me and I'm always very thirsty, dizzy, dehydrated. Been to the ER many times the past 3 years for it. For as bad as akathisia is, this is dangerous and hell. It's like the water I drink gives me nothing. Electrolyte drinks help... been drinking Normalyte that is given for dysautonoma,.. so been using those daily. 

Does anyone else deal with this? I'd do anything to have my body work right in regards to this,.. I can never feel safe and at rest because of it. 

Thank you.

Edited by [dp...]

I have-especially the extreme thirst. I was convinced I had diabetes.

I drank gallons of Gatorade. I mean, non-stop for 2 months. Also organic fruit juice, especially Apple juice. For me, that helped tremendously.

Now I just have to remember to constantly hydrate-water, Kefir, juice. I also find drinking 2 glasses of water as soon as wake up sets me up for the day.

And no caffeine-that zaps your hydration.

12 hours ago, [[d...] said:

Has anyone else dealt with frequent dehydration, extreme thirst, frequent urination?

It's like the water I drink doesn't get absorbed right,.. goes right through me and I'm always very thirsty, dizzy, dehydrated. Been to the ER many times the past 3 years for it. For as bad as akathisia is, this is dangerous and hell. It's like the water I drink gives me nothing. Electrolyte drinks help... been drinking Normalyte that is given for dysautonoma,.. so been using those daily. 

Does anyone else deal with this? I'd do anything to have my body work right in regards to this,.. I can never feel safe and at rest because of it. 

Thank you.

Hi, I did have the same issues, so I spoke to a nurse who told me to make my own electrolyte water, it helped so much! 

I fill a liter carafe with filtered Brita water, add the juice of 1/2 lemon and a tiny sprinkle of Himalayan salt. I drink around 2 of these per day. I think you can find various versions for this online. Apparently fluids absorb better with some added ingredients. Also eating watery fruits and vegetables like watermelon, lettuce etc. absorb on a cellular level better than plain water.

Hope you find what works for you!

xJenny

On 11/12/2023 at 15:21, [[M...] said:

I drank gallons of Gatorade. I mean, non-stop for 2 months. Also organic fruit juice, especially Apple juice. For me, that helped tremendously.

Now I just have to remember to constantly hydrate-water, Kefir, juice. I also find drinking 2 glasses of water as soon as wake up sets me up for the day.

Yep it's the same type of frantic distressed state. I've dealt with it BAD since the beginning of 2022,.. I was dealing with it bad before after about a year off Prozac ('20-'21) but it got way worse after I got thru covid at the beginning of '22. It's been like that since. I pray it gets better soon,.. I'd rather deal with intense aka 24/7 over this. Going to a kidney dr in a few weeks to see if anything is wrong with them,.. and an autonomic nervous system doctor in February. Just got to keep surviving. Thanks for sharing. 

18 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi, I did have the same issues, so I spoke to a nurse who told me to make my own electrolyte water, it helped so much! 

I fill a liter carafe with filtered Brita water, add the juice of 1/2 lemon and a tiny sprinkle of Himalayan salt. I drink around 2 of these per day. I think you can find various versions for this online. Apparently fluids absorb better with some added ingredients. Also eating watery fruits and vegetables like watermelon, lettuce etc. absorb on a cellular level better than plain water.

Hope you find what works for you!

xJenny

Thanks for sharing! Yes electrolyte drinks have helped keep me out of the ER since 2022 started. The salt as well,.. using it on food and sprinked in water at times. The dehydration feels completely on a cellular level,.. almost makes me think it's mitochondrial dsyfunction. I do not know, it's hell.

Thanks for sharing, appreciated much!

Edited by [dp...]

On 11/12/2023 at 11:21, [[d...] said:

Thank you.

I assume diabetes has been ruled out, correct?  I am dealing with frequent urination but I do not feel dehydrated or thirsty. It seems right after I drink a cup of water, I have to urinate it out. I have brought this to my doctor's attention several times.

How much water and other liquids are you drinking daily?

13 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I assume diabetes has been ruled out, correct?  I am dealing with frequent urination but I do not feel dehydrated or thirsty. It seems right after I drink a cup of water, I have to urinate it out. I have brought this to my doctor's attention several times.

How much water and other liquids are you drinking daily?

They've tested for diabetes a number of times and it's never been positive,.. they also tested for diabetes insipidus and I went thru the water deprivation test and that was negative too. Altho I've had my ADH (anti diuretic hormone) levels tested and they were low,.. so that would make sense,.. as well as my urine being very low osmoality,.. meaning I'm essentially peeing clear water. So what I do drink doesn't go where it's supposed to go,.. why that is,.. well the adh thing makes sense... as these drugs affect the HPA Axis and hormones... it's just something that needs to sort itself soon, because being in this level of fluid depravation daily has left me completely nonfunctional. 

I'd say I'm drinking about 3L daily of fluids,.. using salt with it,.. putting Oral Rehydration Solution powders in drinks too. It's keeping me out of the ER most of the time, but it's agony. 

Edited by [dp...]

I deal with this too. Have been dealing with it since puberty (15 years now), but slowly got worse over time. Permanent dry mouth, dry eyes and feeling of dehydration. Tongue looks dehydrated and scalloped. All tests for anything medical came out negative, also did the insipidus test, which was horrible. The advice from the doctors is try to drink less, which is the least bit helpfull. 

I'm well aware that anxiety can trigger this too, but it sure feels like something medical

I have frequent diarrhea and weight loss aswel. tried every diet and hydration, minerals etc. So far only strict carnivore seems to give me normal stools, but doesn't fix the dehydration.

I have weight fluctuations too and some days my watch is tight around my wrist, the next day it can be loose, which I believe is a hydration factor, so strange though. 

I wake up from feeling dehydrated every 2 hours at night. So far haven't found a reason and had it pre benzo aswel, but it's worse now. 

Edited by [Du...]

16 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

They've tested for diabetes a number of times and it's never been positive,.. they also tested for diabetes insipidus and I went thru the water deprivation test and that was negative too. Altho I've had my ADH (anti diuretic hormone) levels tested and they were low,.. so that would make sense,.. as well as my urine being very low osmolality,.. meaning I'm essentially peeing clear water. So what I do drink doesn't go where it's supposed to go,.. why that is,.. well the adh thing makes sense... as these drugs affect the HPA Axis and hormones... it's just something that needs to sort itself soon, because being in this level of fluid depravation daily has left me completely nonfunctional. 

I'd say I'm drinking about 3L daily of fluids,.. using salt with it,.. putting Oral Rehydration Solution powders in drinks too. It's keeping me out of the ER most of the time, but it's agony. 

Wow, I see what you mean friend. I wonder if my ADH levels are a little low or normal?

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 16:21, [[M...] said:

I'm reading this now cause I top am thinking I have diabetes cause of my extreme thirst and dry mouth... came on here and searched dry mouth and got the chance to read this post.. at least I know I'm not the only one... I'm 4 months off today ..

• 5 months later...
[dp...]
On 10/01/2024 at 10:16, [[e...] said:

I'm reading this now cause I top am thinking I have diabetes cause of my extreme thirst and dry mouth... came on here and searched dry mouth and got the chance to read this post.. at least I know I'm not the only one... I'm 4 months off today ..

You definitely are not alone. Apparently these drugs mess with the hormones that help absorb and retain fluids. Evil stuff.

[ba...]

When we overconsume water (I do it too) we flush electrolyttes. The solution is get some salt in daily, and drink a good electrolyte juice. I personally like raw cranberry juice, it is an antihistamine and loaded with antioxidants. Any clean juice (like naked and boathouse) will help. Just find some you like. Lemon water is good too. Im sorry your going through this, but your not alone. This is a good reminder to drink other things besides water. I just biked for 2 hours, sweated like crazy, and feel so sick and the sxs are bad. I realized i never drank my juice or had any salt, and I'm dehydrated.

I also get edema, and when it swells , my benzo belly gets worse. I have started doing lymphatic yoga, it really helps. We have a lot of lymph nodes in our digestive area, and when they are  not working properly, we will retain water, swell, etc.

There  are some yoga routinesfor lymphatic flow on youtube.  If your not used to yoga, find a chair version.

Hope this helps. I need a remnder about this myself, I tend to forget to drink juice and drink too much water instead.

[Ma...]

I also eat a ton of watermelon (😋) which is 90% water, prebiotic and aids with gut health.

• Like 1

[Ca...]

If you're worried about diabetes you can buy a glucose monitoring kit and poke yourself when you first wake up -- it should read under 100 fasting. And you can poke yourself a few hours after eating and it should be under 140.

I eat some salted nuts every day and salt my vegetables. But I do have some edema in my ankles. Probably from being in bed too much

[fa...]
On 25/06/2024 at 16:21, [[d...] said:

You definitely are not alone. Apparently these drugs mess with the hormones that help absorb and retain fluids. Evil stuff.

Do you have symptoms of dehydration or is it the pigment not getting to where it should?

[dp...]
6 hours ago, [[f...] said:

Do you have symptoms of dehydration or is it the pigment not getting to where it should?

Yes definitely. Unquenchable thirst, dry mouth, dizzy, nauseated. Like I'm going to pass out and die many times. Water just goes right through me.

[mo...]

I am around 40% of my original dose and thirst/dehydration seem to be my only noticeable wd symptom so far. I’ve almost doubled how much I drink. But my skin is so dry it starts to peel off if I rub it, it’s so odd. My hair has become dry and brittle and my scalp is visibly peely (will not resolve with dandruff treatment or regular oiling). Lips permanently chapped. I have been wondering if these skin issues were related!

I'm having several WD but yes I noticed I am urinating more chapped lips, dry mouth, and skin, have been trying to drink plenty of water 

[Ca...]

Same here; extremely chapped lips started about a week ago. Rosacea on face now which I think is neurogenic caused by extreme stress. I drink water and herbal teas constantly. My skin is very dry.I wish these were the worst symptoms. Compared to the mental terror and leg pain they are annoyances.