Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help getting off Clonazepam

[Da...]

I was on 3mg a day for about 5 years and have been switched abruptly to 1mg a day by my doctor because they do not prescribe controlled meds anymore. I have enough to last until about the end of March 2024. I know 3 or 4 months isn't an ideal amount of time to taper but I have no choice at this point. I am unemployed and am on an extremely limited budget to say the least. Any advice or help in devising a tapering plan would help save my life.

Hello @[Da...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

How long ago was your medication reduced and how are you feeling?  When you say you have enough to last until March, do you mean the 1 mg or have you been able to save some of your prescription?

We can help you taper, we typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, have you ever experienced symptoms when you’ve missed a dose?  I’m trying to figure out if your body is dependent.

Can you share with us what you were prescribed the Clonazepam before and have you considered finding another doctor to help?

Pamster

My meds were reduced back in July, I stopped altogether for about 3 months and could hardly get out of bed. I have been back on 1mg a day for about 2 months and still don't feel stable but am going to try diet improvement and supplements. I live in Texas and the only doctors that help with tapering or wellness approach don't take insurance. I have enough of the 1mg dose per day to last until March 2024, so I'm kind of in a rough spot. I also take 100mg of quietipine and 100-200mg of gabapentin per day.

Edited by [Da...]

Be careful with supplements, our central nervous system is highly sensitized while going through this and we may react to things we’ve never had an issue with, start low and only add one at a time. 

If you’ll let us know how many pills you have, we can help you figure out a taper plan and rate, also, what mg are your pills and how often do you dose? 

Pamster asked me to stop by.

You were wise to keep a surplus of pills.

Since you cannot get anymore of the drug, we need to be careful and not waste any.

I could help you with 3 different types of taper:

(1) A liquid taper - but it will be complicated because you can never throw away any liquid.

(2) A cut pill taper will also be hard because the best you can do is cut the pill into 1/8 parts and reduce 1/8 part every 2 weeks or whenever you feel like the symptoms are tolerable enough to taper.  

(3) A crush up powder method - this requires you to crush the powder and mix with a filler to get accurate weights and use a scale.

I would suggest you try number (2) first.  But it is up to you.  Which do you want help with?

Bob

• Like 2

Ok, great, and remember, every taper has some withdrawal.  You must just hold between reductions for at least 2 weeks or until your symptoms are tolerable enough to continue. 

Also remember, your symptoms are a combination of withdrawal from the drug but also, they are do to life stress.  So for the next few months, reduce your commitments and learn YouTube anxiety reduction meditations.

Also, very important, do not worry if you cannot get the pill spilt exactly 1/8 parts.  Benzos stay in your blood long enough so if you have a little smaller 1/8 piece today, it will average out with the larger 1/8 piece tomorrow.  Just split the pill into 8 pieces and eyeball the sizes, adding crumbs from one pile to another.