Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

My doctor just died, I’m down to 1MG need any input

[Je...]

So I’ve been tapering for quite some time and I’ve gotten down to 1 mg which I’m very proud of but now that my doctor has passed away my general practitioner is refusing to write my prescription the way my doctor used to.. so in other words I need to come off sooner. She is not willing to write it for very long nor for the amount of pills I need… also there is NO options based on where I live. I need to know if reducing .25mg would be horrible? Or dangerous? If I can get myself to a lower dose I can draw out the taper with old pills I have (not expired) I have worked so hard for so long to make this happen and I’m terrified now if I can get down to 0.5mg in a month I know she will work with me. I don’t want to have a seizure from cutting my dose 

Edited by [Je...]

@[Je...]Unfortunately, know one really knows if a big reduction like .25 will be harmful.   That is a big cut.    I am sure you have explained to your new doctor that you are tapering.   I am sorry that she does not understand that it could take much longer than she is willing to prescribe.  

What was your original dose?   How long have you been tapering?   What benzo are you taking?  As your dose gets lower and lower we usually recommend going slower on your taper; making smaller cuts and waiting longer before making the next cut.  

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Gosh, it's so cruel and unfair. I think your approach is right to make the bigger cuts at the higher doses. 

If you have to make a 0.25mg cut maybe you can split it up in 0.125 increments and shorten your time frame? So make the 0.125 cuts every 10 days instead of 0.25mg every 14 days? The cuts will still build on each other, but it will soften the initial impact of one big one.

• Love 1

I don’t have one just a gp … it’s not possible to get a doc where I live and not many doctors care when it comes to benzos 

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

I don’t have one just a gp … it’s not possible to get a doc where I live and not many doctors care when it comes to benzos 

Have you raised these concerns with your GP? Surely they need to do a consultation and take down your history before prescribing meds? 

My GP prescribed my benzo and she knew my entire medical history. I also discussed any concerns I had with regards to my medical care with her.

I'm wondering what your GP's response will be if you say you're concerned about seizures and also about the SVT.

6 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Yes she only agreees to write 30 tabs so  have to get down to 0.5 monthly before I can taper slowly again. 

So did she dismiss your concern about seizures and tell you it will be fine?