Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hair loss remedies?

[Ma...]

I know this isn't what you're looking for but I suffered significant hair loss during withdrawal too. It hurt my self esteem but it turned out to be just another temporary withdrawal symptom that resolved after a while.   I never looked into remedies.   Over time my hair grew in and thickened again.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Mary1  - I hope you are having a good start to the new year!  I read this post some time ago trying to figure out what to do about hair loss during my K taper. I am a post menopausal woman and have male pattern baldness! My symptoms include a very tender scalp (below the hair follicles) and itchiness.  Also  I have the very tight band feeling around the head, headaches, jaw clenching and tight neck and back.  So far, I have been taking protein smoothies, zinc, iron, biotin and silica.  I also have used ketoconazole shampoo and minoxidil over the last 3+ months, but my head is still very itchy/tender and my hair is very thin/dry/limp/frizzy.  The same time I came across your post, I found another BB post mentioning "gooseberries" and "black seed oil" which kicked off my research. The latin names for these plants are Emblica officinalis- (ndian gooseberry, aka amla or amlaki), and Nigella sativa (black seed (oil))  They both have a long track record in eastern traditional healing and can be sourced online.  I just used a soap containing the black seed oil then an all natural conditioner with aloe.  My scalp feels so much better!  This is only one day, but I am so encouraged I wanted to share!  I will update you as I run this experiment :)  FYI- I've done hair masques before, so I know it can get messy if you don't have the particulars.  There  is a very well informed person online where I got the recipes I will be using, specifying the ingredients, amounts and application. Let me know if you would like her particulars- I will ask the moderators about sharing 3rd party youtube info about hair loss remedies.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 08:14, [[M...] said:

I think I have lost close to 40% of my hair 🥺

Any remedies that have helped anyone else?!

Hey there! 😮‍💨 this is something that really bothered me. Your body will go through multiple phases during withdrawals. One thing I experienced was Hair loss. I just recently stopped shedding large amounts of hair and my hair was super thin. After shedding stops, your hair will start producing new hairs and this takes quite some time. I’ve been told by my doctor you won’t see any “real” difference  until you have 3-6 months after the shedding phase. I have soooo many tiny new baby hairs coming back. The worst part of my shedding was in October. 

I eat at least 60g of protein a day. Protein is extremely important in our diet. I also take D3 every day. Many people have low levels of vitamin D and mine was low as well. I also stay hydrated. My hair has stopped shedding and is slowly starting to come back. I hope this helps. 

ps- our hair is not just what we put in it, it reflects our diet and health. Stress, anxiety and weight loss will cause out hair to temporary fall out. Our hair will not start growing back until the deficiency that caused the hair loss has been corrected.  Our hair is made out of proteins. Make sure you are doing your best to get a good amount of protein. 

Edited by [Am...]
Addition of PS