Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Fear.

[...]

@[...] - Fear and worry are among the most common withdrawal symptoms.  Unfortunately healing is a longer process for some individuals than others.  There's a lot of variation in how long it takes.  

If you haven't checked it out already I suggest you take a look at the Long Haulers group for members experiencing symptoms at 18 months and beyond: https://benzobuddies.org/forum/137-topics/

1 minute ago, [[B...] said:

@[...] - Fear and worry are among the most common withdrawal symptoms.  Unfortunately healing is a longer process for some individuals than others.  There's a lot of variation in how long it takes.  

If you haven't checked it out already I suggest you take a look at the Long Haulers group for members experiencing symptoms at 18 months and beyond: https://benzobuddies.org/forum/137-topics/

Thank you.  X

I think it's possible. Withdrawal symptoms can go on for a long time for some of us.

Was anxiety an ongoing issue for you prior to benzos?  Was anxiety the reason you took benzos in the first place?

2 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

I think it's possible. Withdrawal symptoms can go on for a long time for some of us.

Was anxiety an ongoing issue for you prior to benzos?  Was anxiety the reason you took benzos in the first place?

Yes anxiety was the reason I took them.  X

After 4 years off, my fear and anxiety have returned in the early morning usually disappearing after a couple of hours. I fly from Birmingham to Oklahoma every Thanksgiving to be with my son. For some reason before during and after the flight I was horrified. My short-term memory is shot can read of a page of a book walk away and not know what I just read. My lower abdominal back and body aches are terrible, however there are windows when all the above mentioned disappears. It's a shame so many buddies that are far more qualified to answer your question. Music 60

@[...] I think fear post-taper is pretty common among buddies. Especially if you were anxious before benzos. This situation describes me exactly. I found a terrific talk therapist and have been seeing her weekly since the end of my taper. She's done wonders for me -- we are exploring what the heck I'm so fearful of, as well as how I got to be an anxious wretch who thought they needed benzos to navigate life. Now that I understand myself better, I feel a whole lot less fearful. I don't know if you have access to therapists (not psychiatrists) where you live, but I highly recommend one who does old-fashioned talk therapy (not CBT). Hope this helps. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

@[...] I think fear post-taper is pretty common among buddies. Especially if you were anxious before benzos. This situation describes me exactly. I found a terrific talk therapist and have been seeing her weekly since the end of my taper. She's done wonders for me -- we are exploring what the heck I'm so fearful of, as well as how I got to be an anxious wretch who thought they needed benzos to navigate life. Now that I understand myself better, I feel a whole lot lessh fearful. I don't know if you have access to therapists (not psychiatrists) where you live, but I highly recommend one who does old-fashioned talk therapy (not CBT). Hope this helps. :classic_smile:

My doctor has said I have.to CBT. But there is a waiting list. Do you think this could.help..my doctor did a fast taper  and had me jump at 2 mgs Diazapan.  Do you think that is why it's.taking so long. Never.had a.window. don't believe this is still withdrawal.  Thank you x

22 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

can you describe the fear?  is it in your body, mind or both? is there a trigger?  how was it during taper and before taper?

It's both. No trigger  I was the same before and during taper. But now stomach pain when anxiety is bad. When I wake no fear or  anxiety . As soon as I get out of bed it all starts. 

2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

After 4 years off, my fear and anxiety have returned in the early morning usually disappearing after a couple of hours. I fly from Birmingham to Oklahoma every Thanksgiving to be with my son. For some reason before during and after the flight I was horrified. My short-term memory is shot can read of a page of a book walk away and not know what I just read. My lower abdominal back and body aches are terrible, however there are windows when all the above mentioned disappears. It's a shame so many buddies that are far more qualified to answer your question. Music 60

I'm sorry to hear that.. Do you still think it is withdrawal..x

@[...] I think CBT is better than no therapy. And yes, it could well be beneficial. Any talking is good. Jumping at 2 mg could definitely be one of the reasons your CNS is still upset . . . still in a "stuck" state of anxiety/fear.  Because this has gone on for so long with you, I think talking about it with a professional could really be helpful. Your brain needs some kind of "intervention" imo. It's "stuck". Of course it starts as soon as you get out of bed . . . you have to face the big, scary day. I completely get it. I truly hope you can get some help. Living our lives in fear is so not good. It took me a while to get a grip on my anxiety and identify my "fear triggers", but once I did, (and I'm still not perfect at it) I've found life to be pretty enjoyable. Wishing you all the best, Dut.

4 minutes ago, [[o...] said:

@[...] I think CBT is better than no therapy. And yes, it could well be beneficial. Any talking is good. Jumping at 2 mg could definitely be one of the reasons your CNS is still upset . . . still in a "stuck" state of anxiety/fear.  Because this has gone on for so long with you, I think talking about it with a professional could really be helpful. Your brain needs some kind of "intervention" imo. It's "stuck". Of course it starts as soon as you get out of bed . . . you have to face the big, scary day. I completely get it. I truly hope you can get some help. Living our lives in fear is so not good. It took me a while to get a grip on my anxiety and identify my "fear triggers", but once I did, (and I'm still not perfect at it) I've found life to be pretty enjoyable. Wishing you all the best, Dut.

Thank you.  How long has it took for you. X

I think you are confusing withdrawal with BIND. You are beyond typical withdrawal period, but the damage done by the drugs, especially a rapid taper and jumping from 2mg could have caused a sensitized/altered state in your receptors that may take some time to heal. So could it be from the drug, yes, is it called withdrawal? Well at this point it's semantics, in reality problems this far out are usually from the injury of the drug. There are people with symptoms much longer than you from the drug. Most are getting better or healing all the time but you are by no means longer than most. So to answer your question, it's WD/BIND/PAWS possibly yes, but nobody can know for sure.

1 minute ago, [[m...] said:

I think you are confusing withdrawal with BIND. You are beyond typical withdrawal period, but the damage done by the drugs, especially a rapid taper and jumping from 2mg could have caused a sensitized/altered state in your receptors that may take some time to heal. So could it be from the drug, yes, is it called withdrawal? Well at this point it's semantics, in reality problems this far out are usually from the injury of the drug. There are people with symptoms much longer than you from the drug. Most are getting better or healing all the time but you are by no means longer than most. So to answer your question, it's WD/BIND/PAWS possibly yes, but nobody can know for sure.

Thank you so much. X

It appears that most people either heal or improve. Some people are probably left with lingering stuff but it’s hard to tell what was pre-existing and what is damage but I don’t think everyone gets back to where they were before the benzo, but I think everybody improves significantly overtime and many completely. I think there are probably some that don’t Get better but that doesn’t mean they don’t improve   But no, I think it’s wrong to say everybody gets back to the baseline they were at before because the brain is complex, but I think anybody can adapt to a new norm. Don’t forget we are also all aging and the more things we go through in life, the more it wears us down. We are not spring chickens anymore. But I think the goal is to get back to a meaningful life whatever that means and can do it easier than others. 

8 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

It appears that most people either heal or improve. Some people are probably left with lingering stuff but it’s hard to tell what was pre-existing and what is damage but I don’t think everyone gets back to where they were before the benzo, but I think everybody improves significantly overtime and many completely. I think there are probably some that don’t Get better but that doesn’t mean they don’t improve   But no, I think it’s wrong to say everybody gets back to the baseline they were at before because the brain is complex, but I think anybody can adapt to a new norm. Don’t forget we are also all aging and the more things we go through in life, the more it wears us down. We are not spring chickens anymore. But I think the goal is to get back to a meaningful life whatever that means and can do it easier than others. 

Thank you.  X

@[...] I've had quite a lot of therapy. More than 12 years. I had a therapist during my rotten taper, and another afterwards. Both were talk therapists and were extremely helpful.  I learned a lot about myself. I still see my post-taper therapist. :classic_smile:

Wishing you well.

• 1 month later...

@[...]As I hear many people are very symptomatic two years out. And fear is a common symptom.

I am only 7,5 months out, but I realize this fear from it's unnatural nature. 

But I am not here to convince you, I am right there with you and I hate it, too. Even if it's widrawal or not.