Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dr. Limited access to clonazepam. 6 mo

[At...]

My doc has now limited me to 6 months of refills only. I've been on clonazepam for 25 yrs and have worked down to 1¾ tabs divided over 3 doses in a day.

My next cut is tomorrow.  Ive read  quite a bit here and I am guessing rhat if I had to make a bigger cut ( by .25 a day) now would be a better time to try than when trying to come of of may last 0.5mg tablet. Is that correct for most ppl? I've read that the last bit can be the hardest. So, I have only so much flexibility with a 6 months  limit. 

I found Ive had the most withdrawal anxiety starting at day 4 for about 5 days when it evens out a bit. I would hate to have to make bigger cuts that last bit.

Thoughts? 

Do you mean they will ONLY give you 6 months supply and then no more prescriptions or when they write your script is it only enough medication for 6 months at a time?  Also, is this your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist that is prescribing?

I’m sorry to hear you’re being made to taper faster than you hope but I believe you’re right in your thinking that making a larger cut now is probably the better option.

It makes me so mad when doctors do this, they have no idea the pain they’re causing. >:(

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, @[At...].

To help us help you, would you please let us know:

(1) Is this the taper schedule you’ve followed thus far by splitting 0.5mg tablets into quarters?

1.5mg -> 1.375mg, held for 3 weeks, 8.33% reduction
1.375mg -> 1.25mg, held for 3 weeks, 9.1% reduction
1.25mg -> 1.125mg, held for 3 weeks, 10% reduction
1.125mg -> 1mg, held for 3 weeks, 11.11% reduction
1mg -> .875mg, more intense symptoms, 12.5% reduction

(If so, your taper rate has been steadily increasing.  The fact that you are experiencing more intense symptoms after your last reduction may be a sign that you have exceeded your unique taper ‘speed limit’ and need to slow down.)

(2) Do you have a history of PRN (take as needed) dosing of clonazepam?  Or have you always taken it on a daily basis?

(3) Do you have a history of starting, stopping, and reinstating clonazepam or any other psychotropic medications (e.g. another benzo, z-drug, antidepressant, mood stabilizer, stimulant, antipsychotic)?

(4) You’ve indicated you can get refills for 6 months.  What dose tablets - 0.5mg?   How many tablets will you get each month?  The same number or will the number be decreased each month?