Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Strange Phenomenon after Lorazepam to Clonazepam to Lorazepam switch! PLEASE HELP! ANY HYPOTHESIS WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!

[Ch...]

After going back to lorazepam 1.25mg twice a day for 14 days now after experimenting with clonazepam 1.25mg to 2.5mg daily for ONLY 11 days as mentioned in the first post, I have been going through a very strange episode. 

Instead of experiencing the usual anxiolytic effects of lorazepam 1.25mg like I have in the past 2.5 years I am only being sedated and falling asleep with very little anxiolytic effects! I even tried 1.5mg, 1.75mg up to 2.5mg and it just strengthens the sedation without much anxiolytic effects. It is very strange  because it is acting ALMOST EXACTLY the same way that the clonazepam had acted on me for the 11 days that I used!!! 

I have no explanation for this phenomenon because it was EXACTLY THIS DIFFERENCE between lorazepam and clonazepam that I experienced after using clonazepam for 10 days, prior going back to lorazepam. 

At 1.25mg lorazepam had a strong anxiolytic effect but very little sedative effect. This has been very consistently the case for the past 2.5 years of using lorazepam 1.25 to 1.5mg. 

VERSUS 

Taking 1mg to 2mg of clonazepam I had strong sedation but also somewhat moderate anxiolytic effects. At 1mg clonazepam the anxiolytic effect was very low and sedation was moderate and going up to 2mg clonazepam the anxiolytic component increased to moderate but severe sedation. 

Now for the past 14 days, lorazepam 1.25mg is almost acting exactly the same way as the clonazepam! 

How could this be? What are some possible explanations? PLEASE HELP! ANY HYPOTHESIS WOULD BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL! 

Any explanations would be greatly appreciated because I really have high hopes in using lorazepam 1.25mg twice a day before using the Ashton manual. 

Thank You Dearly and Blessings to All Going Through Very Difficult Times! Never Give Up Hope! We Are All (10’s of millions people worldwide) in This Battle and There is Unimaginably Enormous Power In Going Through a Struggle Together!!! Bezos’s Have No Chance!!! =) 

Edited by [Ch...]
Better explained

Libertas,Thank you very much for your quick response, I appreciate it very much.

The sedative effect stayed about the same or very slightly increased. However, the worst thing and a bit shocking thing was that the anxiolotic effect was never there! If only 25% of the anxiolotic effect of lorazepam (as I experienced with 100% consistency in the last 3.5 years) had been there it would EXACTLY be no different than taking clonazepam 1.25mg! A more important question is, "what happened to the anxiolotic component of lorazepam??" After all, 11 Days of using clonazepam is nothing to 3.5 years of using lorazepam daily with 100% consistent results.

My intuition says there is an easy explanation for this phenomenon. We can rule out withdrawal and tolerance for both lorazepam and Clonazepam since I used lorazepam daily for 3.5 years and actually decreased the dosage from 2mg to 1.25mg daily with no problems at all and stayed at 1.25mg for 2.5 years!

Very similar with clonazepam, I used it from 2013 to 2020 2 or 3 times a week between 1 to 1.5mh as needed and it had 100% consistency in day 1 as it did on last day!

Update: After the 14 days of using lorazepam 1.25mg twice daily, I experimented with going back to 1.25mg clonazepam once daily. That even had a much better effect than 1.25mg lorazepam twice daily.

I also tried 1.25mg clonazepam with 1.25mg lorazepam together. There was no difference!

I even tried 1.25 clonazepam

In afternoon and 1.25mg lorazepam at night. The Clonazepam acted the same way as before, more anxiolotic and less sedative and the lorazepam also slightly became more anxiolotic and less sedative.

The only possible explanation is that the 11 days of use of clonazepam with stopping lorazepam cold turkey confused the gaba receptors. And all needs to be done is to unconfuse the gaba recpeptors :)

I can't see any withdrawal or tolerance playing any factor at all. It must be a different factor.

Thank you again Libertas! Let me know what are your thoughts? 

Blessings!

I see you have multiple threads on this topic on multiple forums.  I’ll defer to the input you’ve received from other members on your thread on the Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, Use & Recovery forum.  That seems to be the best fit for the question you are asking. 

Like I said before, and like you mentioned, and I agree with, your brain has probably been confused, but as you mentioned, now, all that needs to be done is to unconfused there receptors. Unfortunately, I don’t think it works that way. From my experience and from talking to a lot of others once you have changed things around to many times I think the brain just reaches a breaking point and things just don’t go back to the way they were. I’m not saying they won’t, but I confuse my receptors With a few changes and it’s been six months and they’re still not working the way they were at all and before that things were very predictable. Also, you seem extremely analytical, which I am the same way, but I am finding very quickly that all the common sense and deep thinking in the world does absolutely nothing to figure this out. This form is literally littered with thousands of people thinking they have figured out the formula to this and yet here we are decades later and still nobody knows because one thing will work a certain way for one person and the exact opposite will happen to somebody else under the same circumstances. Neurologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, nobody will be able to give you the same answer because in all honesty, it is all guess work, and these medication work wonderfully until they don’t and then once things start going south Things get extremely unpredictable and often times. The best bet is to not poke the bear but once the bear has been poked often times it is not easily. I just figured that I won’t be back to normal until I taper off and heal. Hopefully things can stabilize for me a bit but I don’t think I’ll get back to where I was before this Setback pissed off my receptors. But everyone is different.