Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper Time

[Mi...]

So, currently tapering the dreaded Alprazolam. I’m curious to know, is there anyone here that got better as you reduced your dose? I know it happens, I just want to hear from someone with potential first hand experience with that happening to them. Thanks much!

Edited by [Mi...]

My sister tapered 1mg of Ativan over a year. She said it got hard from about .35mg to .1mg and then got very easy the last .1mg until she jumped close to zero with no acute. She said there was that low dose wall she hit but then it was smooth sailing. It’s been years and she’s been fine since. 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2023 at 06:40, [[M...] said:

So, currently tapering the dreaded Alprazolam. I’m curious to know, is there anyone here that got better as you reduced your dose? I know it happens, I just want to hear from someone with potential first hand experience with that happening to them. Thanks much!

I successfully crossed to Valium from the dreaded Xanax fairly recently.  Was very happy to see Xanax go - got hooked unsuspectedly and withdrawal symptoms sucked big time.  Did not really understand what was happening.  

Valium seems much less evil to me …just my personal opinion.  Stable at 5mg….125mg Xanax equivalent.  getting ready to drop to 4 mg soon.  Check my history for more info.   You can do this 🙏👍👌

Edited by [Kh...]

@[Kh...],

Appreciate the input buddy. I’m in it with the Xanax for the long haul in my taper. I personally think this was the best route to go for me. I’ve heard real hit or miss things when it comes to switching over to Valium. In any event, I’m being led by one of the more notable psychiatrists in the field. So, I trust him. Liquid Xanax all the way. Wish me luck. In about 3 months I should be below .4 if everything continues in a positive direction. We will get through!!!

3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

@[Kh...],

Appreciate the input buddy. I’m in it with the Xanax for the long haul in my taper. I personally think this was the best route to go for me. I’ve heard real hit or miss things when it comes to switching over to Valium. In any event, I’m being led by one of the more notable psychiatrists in the field. So, I trust him. Liquid Xanax all the way. Wish me luck. In about 3 months I should be below .4 if everything continues in a positive direction. We will get through!!!

Yes we can and will!   By the way, 4 days on Augmentin after surgery and no noticeable interactions with benzo.  Last set of antibiotics were fluoroquinolone cuz Dr had not heard of the risk and I can tell  you it was 2 weeks of pure hell…so happy to report no issue with penicillin based antibiotics at the moment 👍

• Like 1

Hi 

I began tapering off alprazolam two years ago, at my high of 5mg. I was told during therapy (this time) that I seemed unhappy, afraid , angry, and no longer had a zest or zeal for life.
Experienced pretty smooth sailing until hitting the 2 mg. mark. Significant withdrawal symptoms accompanied dosing between two and 1/4 mg.  Presently at day six of complete abstinence.
Symptoms of my withdrawal included/include: tinnitus, muscle weakness, muscle aches, and bouts of intense muscle pain in the evening, at around 4 hours after I usually took my dosages. Additional symptoms include: jaw muscle pain, chills, panic, headaches, dizziness, nausea, restlessness, insomnia, hyperactivity, poor impulse control, confusion, irritability, fatigue, rumination, and identity confusion.

Useful activities include: weekly talk therapy sessions, mindfulness exercises, meditation, prayer, 12-step meetings, social media one-on-one chats & phone calls, pokemon go! adventuring, bike rides, walking, and fostering feral kittens.

Good luck with your recovery! It's all about you and for myself, it's the best thing I've ever done besides quitting alcohol, cocaine, heroin, and crack.