Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need advice tapering off Xanax please if anyone can help

[...]

Hello my name is Sergio so basically I’m trying to get off Xanax which I’ve been off and on for the past 3 months and this past 2 weeks straight I’ve been to the hospital twice all they did was prescribe me more Xanax to tapper but didn’t tell me how to properly do it that I had to call my primary care and ask.  So I come here to listen and take advice from those who been through it I’m not gonna lie read some of your guys/gals stories and it scares the crap out of me.  So the most I’ve taken in a day was 3 mg my average is 2 mg 1 during the day and 1 to sleep.  I have noticed feeling small withdrawal symptoms after a while of not taking any and I do want to mention I quit alcohol and cocaine 20 days ago.  Please let me know if anyone has advice on how to tapper properly thank you and god bless 

@[...]  Welcome to Benzo Buddies!!   You are in the right place to get help with tapering, and recovery from benzo use.   Let me start out by saying, I don't have any experiential knowledge about tapering.  There are members who will respond to your question who are much more adept than I at answering those questions.   Are you familiar with the Ashton Manual?   If not, you may want to take a look, as it has a wealth of information about this process.     Since you quit drinking alcohol and using cocaine only 20 days ago, your body is probably a bit unsettled.    When you say you have been to the hospital twice in the last two weeks, was that because of withdrawal symptoms from Xanax?     Basically you want to withdrawal very slowly and steadily.    The general recommendation is that you decrease your dosage by 5 to 10 percent every couple of weeks.   Of course, the best approach is to listen to your body and it will tell you if you have made too big of a reduction or if it is too soon.    Are you currently taking 2 mgs?      If you want to begin reducing your dosage, you will need to come up with a tapering plan.    Other members will weigh in to help you with a tapering schedule.    We are here to support you through this process.