Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Looking for a copy of the Ashton manual (living in Quebec Canada

[Ka...]

Hi everyone. I tried getting off clonazepam by cutting my pill and got down to .5 and then to .25 and got really sick and didn’t know I was going through withdrawal. I want to try the Ashton method. Thx! 

Hello @[Ka...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m sorry to hear your taper didn’t go well, we typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, this can hopefully keep you functional.  

While crossing to Valium is an option, we don’t typically suggest doing it unless you’re suffering from interdose withdrawal as it can be challenging to make the cross because Valium comes with its own set of issues.  It must be done in stages as you’ve probably seen from the charts but it also presents some unique symptoms such as sedation and depression which typically resolve once you get accustomed to the drug.  Some members aren’t successful in crossing and end up back on their original medication. 

I wonder if you might reconsider and taper directly from the Clonazepam?  If you’re set on crossing, we can certainly help with that, I just wanted to let you know some of the issues you may need to deal with.

Pamster

Thanks for your responses. I’m down to .5 from .75 clonazepam. I’m going to read and follow the Ashton manual. From what I’ve seen on this forum, everyone’s journey is different but the guidance is helpful! Again, thank you! 

How are you feeling @[Ka...], how much are you tapering and is it going better than your previous attempts?  Are you considering crossing to Valium as per the Ashton manual? 

I successfully crossed over from both clonazepam and lorazepam to 60mgs of diazepam two years ago.   While I've experienced all of the same things that others on this site have, I have made it down to 2mgs (diazepam) at the current time.  The cuts from from 10 down have been horrible, but most of that is my own fault for being too aggressive with the cuts.  My emotional and psych well being really haven't sustained much of a hit during that time.  My anxiety used to be horrible (reason why I started benzos in the first place), but it also hasn't been much of an issue.  Frustration, anger, and self-guilt have been present for much of my taper, however.