Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

tapering of serucin

[to...]

I'm in the process of tapering off serusin, and an overwhelming sense of restlessness has emerged. My heart feels heavy. Is there any relief method?

Hello @[to...], thanks for the information. What you speak of is very common for benzo withdrawal. There is a flight or fight response that is highly activated during withdrawal. 

I personally found the best way to deal with symptoms was to distract myself. I did many things from puzzles, word games, easy going movies to walking in the garden.

What taper plan are you following? What is your present dose and when did you start your taper? We can better address your situation if you provide more information.

About ten years ago, I sought treatment at a psychiatric clinic due to insomnia. The primary symptom was insomnia, and since then, I have been prescribed benzodiazepine-based anti-anxiety and sleep medications. Over time, there have been ups and downs, but ultimately, I was prescribed 1.2mg/day of Solanax and 1mg/day of Rismee. Initially, the medication had an effect, but as time went on, its effectiveness diminished, and I continued to experience physical discomfort. The doctor kept prescribing the medication without reducing the dosage. During that time, I came across the Ashton Manual on the internet, and after considering it, I decided that I should stop taking benzodiazepine-based medications and informed my doctor of this decision.First, the Solanax and Rismee were replaced with Sercine, which took about three months. Then, I gradually and cautiously reduced the Sercine dosage. It has been two years and 5 months since I began the tapering process, and I have been able to reduce the Sercine dosage to 2.5mg. However, when the Sercine dosage is reduced to a small amount, progress becomes challenging. I have experienced various withdrawal symptoms, and currently, I am using the antidepressant 7.5-15 mg of Refrex to cope with them. At present, the withdrawal symptoms include aching in the back, dull pain in the left side of the abdomen, depressive symptoms upon waking, a sense of derealization, and what is particularly distressing is the feeling of exhausting. I tend to increase the dosage during those difficult times. 

Have you considered holding your dose during the rough times instead of up-dosing?  Quite a few members have mentioned holds work well for them. 

@[to...], it seems like you have a solid, sensible taper plan in place. No matter how slow, there still can be withdrawal symptoms. As @[Pa...]mentioned, it is possible to hold for a while to allow your system, to adjust to the dose reductions.

I'm experiencing intense ringing in my head and feeling uneasy while tapering off medication. My head doesn't feel clear. What are some ways to alleviate these symptoms? Do you think it would be best to pause the tapering process for a while?

Hello @[to...],

It sounds like you are experiencing tinnitus, a very common withdrawal symptom. It also appears the the cuts are catching up to you. It is certainly ok to hold at your present dose for while. As far as alleviating symptoms, that’s a tough question. In my case, the best thing I did was try to distract from the withdrawal symptoms. I also had to accept the process and allow my body to reset, to regulate. This can take some time.

What you’re feeling is very common, benzodiazepines are excellent muscle relaxers and when we remove them, our muscles complain.  Some will try heat or cold to help.

Nausea is also very common, most of us lose weight, but it comes back when we recover.  Have you tried eating a bit of ginger or any other home remedies? 

This is common during withdrawal. The best thing I did was to distract myself with puzzles, books, easy going movies and reading Success Stories. This process can be challenging but it is doable. 

I have discomfort and a throbbing sensation from my back to my shoulders, causing nausea, rather than actual nausea.  Is there any remedy for this?

The remedy for pretty much everything related to benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery is time, it heals us.  But while going through this, distraction, as @[pi...] mentioned is a way to get through the day.  

What are you doing for distraction, I tried to stay as busy as I could by working full time and doing home projects.  I was so hyped up and miserable I couldn’t sit still so I put it to good use. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am an elderly person. Is it common for recovery to be delayed due to old age?

As we age, recovery from anything seems to take longer, I believe the same is true for benzodiazepines.  

Can you provide some information so we can help you?

• What is your current dose?
  • How long have you taken the drug, have you ever stopped it before?
  • Why did you decide to taper it?
  • Are you being advised by a medical professional?
  • How old are you and how long have you been tapering?

・Jiazepam 2.5mg

・About 10 years. I have stopped it one time.

I feel unwell.

・Yes.

・I am 79 years old and I have been tapering 2.5 years.

Thank you for answering my questions, you’ve been tapering an awful long time.  Have you ever held your dose for a few days, have you tried speeding it up, is so, what were the results?

I have held dose for few days. But, I have not tried speeding it up. The result remains unchanged

So holding doesn’t help, maybe you could try making a larger reduction?

May I ask why you decided to taper from the medication, had you reached tolerance?