Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Squeezing in Gut and Mental Symptoms

[mi...]

When my gut squeezes and I get internal abdominal pressure and a trapped gas sensation it makes my brain feel weird like I can’t think or relax and I feel like I’m gonna pass out. As soon as I pass gas and my gut and pelvis releases tension my head and thoughts relax almost immediately. What the heck is this. I don’t know why the gut stuff affects the brain so much. It’s so weird. I know they’re connected. But it has nothing to do with what I eat. It’s just nerves down there that contract muscles that trap gas and make me feel so weird until it all releases. Is there a nerve pathway that causes this immediate reaction between the two? Vagus nerve?

Same kind of stuff here. It's got to be vagus related. As soon as I have gut issues, my brain is affected. It was terrible this morning. Abdomen was tight and sick feeling and at the same time my brain felt super sick and toxic. It happens like that a lot. Terrible feeling. Wish there was a sure way of managing this.

@[An...] Yes! I feel like there’s poison in my head. It’s like I feel toxic and my eyes glazed over and like I am constipated. But then my gut will just relax and I’ll pass gas and it’s like the clouds open up and my brain works again and I’m not anxious. It’s so weird!

The brain and gut are intrinsically connected especially with anxiety and stress response.

I’m sure you have read here how people go on a ‘clean’ diet-no sugar, caffeine, processed foods etc, and how relaxation techniques help.

You’re NOT alone as I believe most in w/d experience this. I do-severely. Maybe try some of the above. Also, Pepto is my best friend!

P.S.

Noni Juice, as heralded by Geraldine Burns from BIC supposedly is key…

It eases my stomach and makes the cycle of gut, breath (me), mental symptoms lees frequent.

I-like so many here-have spent an obscene amount of $$ on every test under the sun and nobody in the medical community believes me when I mention this symptom. It’s dismissed as ‘anxiety’ ad indium. And -for me-it happens every 90 minutes at night, like click work.

From what I gather cortisol rushes, adrenal dumps can play a big role, especially after the chronic stress w/d causes.

So, clean diet, relaxation techniques, sleep-if you can catch it- exercise, even if it’s minimal-and Pepto-can help!

Also, hydration. Hydrate, hydrate, HYDRATE! 🙏🤞

Search Geraldine Burns on YouTube re: Noni Juice. I think she did an interview withHoff-Wittman (sp?). She swears it’s a miracle cure for this…

@[Ma...] the thing is food doesn’t make me sick. I feel the same whether I eat or not. I just had chips and salsa. Earlier I had smoked ham. I feel the same as before I ate. It’s just this random cramping that comes and goes unrelated to meals. I can be sick as a dog in my gut and not know why and in 10 seconds it will just relax and gas will come out and my head clears and I feel normal. It’s nervous system related not GI. People with GI symptoms don’t just have symptoms come and go unrelated to food. Clean eating doesn’t make me feel any better than eating junk. When my nervous system is calm, my gut feels great. When I was on Klonopin and it was stabilizing me it was working really well. I could eat anything out of the sun and never had a stomach problem. Ice cream, donuts, I felt the same mentally and digestive regardless. When I stabilized, my gut started hurting no matter what. I don’t get.

@[Ma...] miracle care for what? There are an infinite amount of different types of G.I. discomfort. Summers related to gluten, summers related to digestive enzymes, some are related to inflammation, some is nerves. Some people eat food and get sick, I get sick whether I eat or not and then sometimes I eat the next day-and I feel fine. It’s random. 

Okay, but it’s your stomach. When this wakes me up at 4 a.m. I haven’t eaten but my GI is sending a signal to my brain, so I try to settle…bacteria? Who knows what is causing it, what is going on in my stomach.

Gut health is paramount during this. It just is.

Just sharing what helps me with this…

Hmm. Good point. The squeezing and tightness is the worst part of all of this. When it relaxes I feel so much better. I don’t know if it’s bacteria or what it is.  It just feels like it won’t chill the heck out.  It has to be WD symptoms and hyper reactivity. 

Yep. Try to find that Geraldine Burns interview. And research Noni Juice. When I talked with her she swore by it. You start at like 1/4 tsp for a week then very slowly increase…

Sending you prayers for a window and calm tummy/mind SOON!!

P.S.

Cut it with the salsa!! Did you know that won’t come out of your system until it’s literally pushed out by the next thing you eat???!! Smoothies are your friend!!!

😆😳😂

@[Ma...] Have you tried the Noni juice? I want to try but am nervous. Any success?

@[mi...] yes, the toxic brain feeling. Never could have imagined such a feeling. It's unreal. I might try the Noni juice. I've heard it recommended before but am nervous to try new things. 

Yes-just go slow at 1/4 tsp. I can’t find the Geraldine Burns interview but you can contact her through BIC. She’s a trailblazer and actually changed state law in MA re: Benzos…

As I mentioned, it still wakes me up every 90 minutes so I nibble a couple of saltines, sips of water and when I wake up in the morning I eat oatmeal. That helps put it at bay to a reasonable, sustainable level…

@[Ma...] thank you. I will give it a try. Starting slowly like you said.

@[mi...] I've had the toxic brain off and on for over a year, since before tapering. It's not all the time for me, but comes in waves. It's been brutal the past 3 days. I have constipation right now, and that makes it worse for sure.

Off 14 months after a rapid taper, basically CT 🥺.

Just keep going! Read and learn here but take breaks too. This-all of it-will pass! You WILL heal, promise!

mikeyjoed

I have exactly this too and more.. My guts and brain have a direct connection. But not all the time.

To many stories on the subject.

No rhyme or reason that I figured out. I've been trying my entire adult life. I'm 60. You should see my food intake and bathroom logs. 

If you ever figure it out please message me.