Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Weight Gain and "Benzobelly"

[ti...]

Early on in my taper I lost a significant amount of weight. At 32 months out I have gained 30lbs over the last year and a half. I have been benzo free since May of 2021. Is this effect a result of cortisol elevations, depression, or something else? What i find interesting is that my body definitely needs carbs for an insulin effect. In order to make serotonin and other NT, there needs to be a small insulin surge to facilitate this process. With all the healing, I am wondering if this is the reason.

I am also not familiar with benzobelly. Can someone explain this concept and why it exists?

There is also the concept of psychic protection energetically that weight provides as well as carrying the "weight" of the recovery process. 

Thanks in advance for the feedback. 

@[ti...],

Benzo belly describes all sorts of symptoms relating to the GI system. Benzo withdrawal can bring on these issues. I also lost weight while in tolerance and through the taper process. Once off, I had some GI issues during the acute phase. Later on in recovery I noticed I had a gut, something I never had before. There were a lot of clothes that I could no longer fit in. For me, this changed once I was able to get back the active lifestyle I enjoyed.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
[Ma...]

Last fall I was a skeleton now I’ve never been so fat-especially in my belly.

I attribute most of it to being essentially in bed for going on 19 months. I started forcing myself to walk 10,000 steps/day-did 16,730 yesterday and feel like I need traction-and am really forcing it with 20 minute naps in between.

I’m dizzy, my head is a tin can, my vision is cra-cra but the endorphins feel great, I slept 5+ hours straight through last night too. 

For some reason I crave sweets and even though I can’t tolerate most foods (am vegan) I can indeed tolerate chocolate. Not helpful.

Last week I like, really?! REALLY?! I’ve lost 60% of my hair, aged 20 years and now I’m big as a house! So-am forcing the 10,000 steps! And face serum. Expensive face serum 🤦‍♀️.

• Like 1

[Kr...]

Will face serum help benzo dry wrinkled skin?
Is it creme de la mer by chance? 

I will gladly go without a meal every day to afford an expensive serum if it works! Looks open doors for a girl my age. But can’t work enough hours to support myself and finding a financially stable guy is crucial.