Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cuts and symptoms

[al...]

Hi all,  I started tapering 20 mgs of Valium beginning of September. I've gotten down to 16 mg in 3 months but am now starting to feel symptoms.  Have I gone too fast or am I just in a wave.  Not sure if I should continue cutting or just hold for a while...  Or up dose?

Appreciate any feedback, thanks

You haven't gone too fast and thus up dosing sounds like a very bad idea. What was your last cut and how long after you made it did the symptoms start?

• Like 1

@[al...],

I agree with @[ou...], you’ve made such good progress reducing Valium, I would not updose. 

What taper plan are you following? There is nothing wrong with holding for a while to allow your body to adjust to the new dose. Valium has such a long half life that sometimes the cuts can  catch up with you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I am  using a cut and hold method using a scale.  I cut 5% every 2 weeks. However I section  that cut with a 2% cut for 6 days then the remaining 3% cut next 8 days. My last cut was 10 days ago because I've been holding.  So I guess it's just better to hold a little longer?  

• Like 1

Hi, @[al...].  Congratulations on reducing your dosage of diazepam from 20mg to 16mg!  I see no ‘flaws’ with your current taper strategy; however, this is an iterative process - where listening to our body, and adjusting accordingly, is the most important aspect of the process.  I’d also note that avoiding symptoms all together is not common for most of us through this process.  

With that said, in your situation, the diazepam has such a long half-life these ‘small’ weekly cuts could have been slowly building on one another.  You could hold for an additional week or two (or until you feel your symptoms ‘stabilizing’) and re-evaluate from there.

I would highly discourage up-dosing in your situation.  After holding for a period, and feeling more stable, you could consider adjusting your ‘process’ (e.g., reduce 2% every 7 days and factor in additional holds for a week or two within these reduction periods).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, [[p...] said:

@[al...],

I agree with @[ou...], you’ve made such good progress reducing Valium, I would not updose. 

What taper plan are you following? There is nothing wrong with holding for a while to allow your body to adjust to the new dose. Valium has such a long half life that sometimes the cuts can  catch up with you.

Yep, it takes about 2 weeks for me to feel the full effects after a V cut. That is why I am tapering every 3 weeks.

• Like 2