Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Any further info on antibiotics?

[DM...]

Hello, 

I went through a really really rough benzo withdrawal, I am off as of Feb 8th 2023. My main symptoms were extreme tinnitus, extreme hyperacusis (pain), and anxiety. 
Things have improved by maybe 65%, the hyperacusis was getting better. I had really severe pain (deep stabbing and burning) from noise. The tinnitus was also improving slowly. 

I caught a bad infection a couple of weeks ago and was first given doxycycline. I took it for about 4 days and I felt really horrible, (extreme anxiety, increased tinnitus and hyperacusis), but thought it was from the bronchitis. I'm sure it didn't help. 

The doxy didn't work so I was put on augmentin -- I didn't have as bad of a reaction as I did to the doxy, but I still have had a really hard time sleeping through the night, my T is bad again and the hyperacusis is also very bad again. 

I looked up "anti-biotics benzo withdrawal" and realized that it's stated in the Ashton Manual as creating problems for some. I understand why "flox" anti-biotics are not ideal as I read they mess with GABA, but it states that other anti-biotics do not do this, but still cause bad reactions. 

I just finished up the augmentin today and I'm hoping I'll feel a little better here soon. 

1. Has anyone experienced this before? 
2. Does anyone know why this happens besides the short snippet from the Ashton Manual? 

Thanks

I had a horrible experience with doxycycline. I was diagnosed with ocular rosacea, which proved to be wrong. They gave me doxycycline to clear up infection in my eyes at the time I knew nothing about benzos, and what they were doing to me, but the two together led to intrusive thoughts which led me to the hospital on one occasion, but benzos has led me to the hospital several times .also was put on a antibiotic for an infected prostate similar results. I’ve done research on antibiotics and everything leads to. They definitely affect our central nervous system, which is already been damaged severely by benzodiazepines that is why many of us have a severe reaction to antibiotics I hope this is helpful you fellow buddy. 

Edited by [Gr...]