Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

New to BB 🤝🏻 Got addicted to librium "accidentally" doing in and outpatient alcohol detox

[...]

As the title states I'm new to Benzo buddies have a history of alcohol abuse been to detox twice in the last 2 years and been taking librium on and off during this time..need any advice on a good taper I'm currently taking 5 mgs twice a day for the time being in the past I've mostly been prescribed 25mg capsules..up until I started seeing this Dr who gave me smaller doses I personally don't think I was tapered right because I'm still feeling withdrawal syndrome is it possthat I'm under dosed? I've heard it before..any help would be appreciated ( FYI I've been on the 5mg caps for about 2- 3 months now but also I've relapsed during that time since July 22nd this year I've relapsed 3x but only for about 2 days at a time meaning when I drink I do so for about 2- 3 days and then jump back on the librium which I know only sets me bk 🤦🏾‍♂️ but to be clear I NEVER mix the 2 

Hello @[...]  - welcome to BenzoBuddies!  

We can help you plan a safe, careful taper off librium.  We suggest a slow taper because it's easiest on your brain and body to get used to having slowly decreasing amounts of benzo in your system.  We typically advise making cuts of no more than 5-10% of your most recent dose every 2 weeks for longer.  It's important to remain flexible throughout your taper and slow down if you start to experience withdrawal symptoms that are hard to handle.  So you may need to make smaller cuts at times, maybe even smaller than 5%, and hold longer between cuts.  The idea is to let your taper be guided by your symptoms.  It helps to keep a journal where you record your symptoms on a daily basis.  The model we suggest is the best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms as manageable as possible so you can function as well as possible during your taper and after.  

There's a lot of information to take in so please be sure to ask questions and reach out for support.  We're glad you found us!

Brighterday

Sounds like the booze is making things worse. Do you intend to stop drinking? I don't like the fact that Librium comes in capsules. I would try to switch to valium and use the Ashton protocol to taper. You have not been on benzos that long. That is good. I would also try not to drink for a while during and after benzo detox. I am not saying you can never drink again but it does sound like you enjoy it but when you do drink, you drink too much so you would be better served by quitting altogether if possible.

Welcome to BB btw @[...]

Edited by [An...]
addition

15 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Sounds like the booze is making things worse. Do you intend to stop drinking? I don't like the fact that Librium comes in capsules. I would try to switch to valium and use the Ashton protocol to taper. You have not been on benzos that long. That is good. I would also try not to drink for a while during and after benzo detox. I am not saying you can never drink again but it does sound like you enjoy it but when you do drink, you drink too much so you would be better served by quitting altogether if possible.

Welcome to BB btw @[...]

If I switch to Valium where would I start with the tapering process??

@[...]  How long ago did your new doc switch you to 5mg 2xday?  Were you regularly taking 25mg 2xday prior to the switch?  

I don't have experience with Librium but I understand it comes in capsules and isn't available in tablets.  I assume the capsules are filled with powder rather than beads, is that correct?  Switching to Valium may be a very reasonable option as @[An...] suggests.  We usually suggest a transitioning over a period of weeks by gradually reducing the former drug while gradually increasing the new one.  The equivalent dose for 5mg of Librium is about 1.5mg Valium according to online calculators.   

Hopefully someone with experience of Librium will chimes in here.

I was on the 25mg then 10s then 5s but I didn't  taper correctly I think person my body got so used to the latter..I've been on the 5mg twice a day for about 3 months .. but to be honest I've relapsed in the process so when I relapse and then I go back to the Librium I started where I left off at as far as the milligrams that's why I messed up right??

2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

@[...]  How long ago did your new doc switch you to 5mg 2xday?  Were you regularly taking 25mg 2xday prior to the switch?  

I don't have experience with Librium but I understand it comes in capsules and isn't available in tablets.  I assume the capsules are filled with powder rather than beads, is that correct?  Switching to Valium may be a very reasonable option as @[An...] suggests.  We usually suggest a transitioning over a period of weeks by gradually reducing the former drug while gradually increasing the new one.  The equivalent dose for 5mg of Librium is about 1.5mg Valium according to online calculators.   

And to answer your question Brighter Day yes I've always took the 25 mg but never everyday I always intermittently on and off when I was relapse I would go back to the living room after I was through drinking for that moment I've always had 25 mg then I started to see the 10 mg then the fives but when I was in detox the table was so smoothly and swiftly it's like I felt like a different person

Just now, [[A...] said:

I am sorry....I misread. For some reason, I was thinking alcohol for 2 years before starting Librium. Yes, two years would be considered long-term.

Yes 2yrs on and off

2 hours ago, [[B...] said:

True @[Br...]   I have seen very few ppl on Librium here.

3 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

CEB, when you say you relapse....do you mean you start drinking again?

Yes..but I've been sober now for 3 weeks trying to kic the benzos now 

6 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

True @[Br...]   I have seen very few ppl on Librium here.

It's generic for chlordiazepoxide it has a very long half life one of the first benzos made and also one of the weakest anybody that's had alcohol issues is very familiar with it 

5 hours ago, [[B...] said:

@[...] - since you've been on dose of 5mg Librium 2xday for about 3 months I don't believe it makes sense to updose at this point.

Congratulations on 3 weeks of sobriety.  This will really help you with your recovery from benzos. Getting off benzos can be really challenging and support will be important.  You will get support here of course but support in your community for your sobriety will also be very important.

As we mentioned, it may be a good option for you to switch to Valium.  I think a good first step would be to ask your prescribing doctor if they would prescribe Valium and help you switch.  I would be very careful to make sure the doctor prescribes the correct equivalent dose of 1.5m Valium twice a day.  Do you think your doctor will be willing to work with you on this?

I will definitely ask her my next visit thanks a bunch!

• Like 1