Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam taper

[Jo...]

Hi all. So I slipped up due to insomnia and got dependent on clonazepam this time.  I am working with my psychiatrist to taper off of a low dose dependence on clonazepam. He has switched me to diazepam but I am having issues with crossing over.  Was only using .5 clonazepam to sleep and .125 mid day for inter dose withdrawal.  Psychiatrist suggested taper as follows:

week 1 8mg diazepam

week 2 8mg diazepam 

week 3 6mg diazepam

week 3 6mg diazepam

and reduce 2 mg every 2 weeks so on and so on…

He is not against a slower taper if I prefer one and 1 mg reductions. My questions are I started the 8 mg diazepam and have felt really off ever since. Doesn’t feel like the heart pounding withdrawal I’m used to with clonazepam. It’s a constant brain foggy feeling and slightly blurred vision. I’ve read the Ashton manual and am wondering should I have overlapped the first 3-4 weeks switching from clonazepam to diazepam so using 1/2 clonazepam and 1/2 diazepam? And if not should I have started at 10mg diazepam for the crossover?  Thanks for any help.  

Edited by [Jo...]

Hello @[Jo...],

Yes, ideally it is best to overlap the two drugs instead of doing a sudden switch from one benzo to another. Additionally, each benzo is a little different. I found Valium very sedating and I know others have experienced this as well. It did ease up once my body adjusted and I started to taper.

How long did you take clonazepam? If it was very short term the plan suggested might be ok. Otherwise it seems very aggressive to me. 

@[pi...] This time I was only using it for about 3 1/2 weeks but could already feel dependence starting so I want to start tapering now before it got out of hand. 

Edited by [Jo...]

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

@[pi...] This time I was only using it for about 3 1/2 weeks but could already feel dependence starting so I want to start tapering now before it got out of hand. 

@[Jo...], your previous benzo use and withdrawal has clearly sensitized you since you feel dependence starting. With just 3 1/2 weeks of use, you might be able to follow the taper plan outlined. Overall, the longer you stay on a benzo, the more entrenched dependency can become. I would likely try a quicker taper and see how my body reacts. Since your doctor is willing to support a slower plan, you can always reduce the amount tapered and lengthen the time between cuts.

• Like 1